The Student Room Group

Are the maths textbooks necessary?

Hi, I will be doing maths and further maths this year and I was wondering whether or not I should buy the edexcel text book for each of the modules. Or can I use online resources, youtube tutorials etc and still acheive a high grade?
Original post by JerryG
Hi, I will be doing maths and further maths this year and I was wondering whether or not I should buy the edexcel text book for each of the modules. Or can I use online resources, youtube tutorials etc and still acheive a high grade?

Surely your school provides individual copies of the textbooks you need?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Surely your school provides individual copies of the textbooks you need?

They have told me to buy them, but Ive found playlists of full module courses on Youtubes so will that explain everything in enough depth?... I've never used a textbook for maths before at GCSE just YouTube tutorials and I got an A* but dont know if it will work again for A levels.

Original post by JerryG
They have told me to buy them, but Ive found playlists of full module courses on Youtubes so will that explain everything in enough depth?... I've never used a textbook for maths before at GCSE just YouTube tutorials and I got an A* but dont know if it will work again for A levels.

Is this a Private school? I've never known a state school to not give students the texts they need.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Is this a Private school? I've never known a state school to not give students the texts they need.

No its a normal school, im sure they have books in class but its just when I go home and when it comes to revision times.
Reply 5
SOLUTION BANKS

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths/solution-banks-edexcel-heinemann-textbooks/

If you dont want to buy the books then use the solution banks which have every question from the book alongside the full worked solutions :biggrin:

I found that a combination of youtube videos, past papers, and questions in the textbooks got me my A at Alevel
Original post by JerryG
No its a normal school, im sure they have books in class but its just when I go home and when it comes to revision times.

Surely they issue the book for the whole year - who else needs it? Maths is still modular so you don't need the books after you've sat the modules.

Quick Reply

Latest