The Student Room Group

Student Finance Help?

I applied for Student Finance (England) in May for an undergraduate course I'm beginning in a week but my mother didn't help support my application. I phoned student finance up and since my parents are separated, they said I could have my dad fill out a PFF2 and send all of his evidence. It's come back positive and my payments are scheduled. But when I was talking to a friend of mine, they said that there's a problem in this way of applying for student finance. They said that because I'm being entitled to the maximum amount of student loan, because I'm not living with my dad, they will come back and tell me they loaned me too much and begin to ask for 4k+ back immeditately.

I'm just wondering if this is an okay way to go through with student finance, and they won't tell me that I need to pay back 4k+?
Reply 1
Original post by BK1199
I applied for Student Finance (England) in May for an undergraduate course I'm beginning in a week but my mother didn't help support my application. I phoned student finance up and since my parents are separated, they said I could have my dad fill out a PFF2 and send all of his evidence. It's come back positive and my payments are scheduled. But when I was talking to a friend of mine, they said that there's a problem in this way of applying for student finance. They said that because I'm being entitled to the maximum amount of student loan, because I'm not living with my dad, they will come back and tell me they loaned me too much and begin to ask for 4k+ back immeditately.

I'm just wondering if this is an okay way to go through with student finance, and they won't tell me that I need to pay back 4k+?

You need to apply for SF based on the income of the household where you're living. If you live with your Mum, your SF calculation should be based on her income. SF will take action if they find that your claim is based on the income of the parent you're not living with.

If your Dad earns less than your Mum, then you may be getting too much SF. That excess would certainly mean that SF demand it back in full if they find out. If your Dad earns more than your Mum, then you could be getting less than you're entitled to. Although having said that, SF could still take a dim view of you applying based on the wrong household income.

Not sure how you go about correcting it without confessing to SF and having to start the assessment process again from scratch - and possibly risk being left with the minimum Maintenance Loan if your Mum still won't support your application. Not ideal at this point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending