The Student Room Group

Head girl?

So head girl and head boy are a relatively new thing at my school, and it doesn't really have much respect as I imagine it does at other schools. I want to apply but I am worried that people will think it's weird and make fun of me, which is stupid, but I'm also worried about what my friends might think as they were making fun of the idea earlier, and I jokingly said I might apply to see what they said and they were just joking around, but I think if I actually seriously told them I wanted to apply they wouldn't act like that.
Does being head girl at your school look good on say uni applications? Would it give me a better chance of getting into uni or anything else I might apply for? Is it worth applying? There's no guarantee that if I did apply I would get head girl anyway, they might not like my application essay or my interview might go badly. Is it worth the opportunity?
Reply 1
I wouldn't say it's going to be necessary for your uni applications, but it's a good point to show your leadership skills. Head girls are a long tradition at my school and it's a very stressful role on top of your A-levels, so be aware of that when applying. It's definitely worth a go! I applied for head girl and although I flopped at the interview stage, it was great practice in writing my qualities in a positive light - which you need for your personal statement! - and also at having a go at interviews.
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
So head girl and head boy are a relatively new thing at my school, and it doesn't really have much respect as I imagine it does at other schools. I want to apply but I am worried that people will think it's weird and make fun of me, which is stupid, but I'm also worried about what my friends might think as they were making fun of the idea earlier, and I jokingly said I might apply to see what they said and they were just joking around, but I think if I actually seriously told them I wanted to apply they wouldn't act like that.
Does being head girl at your school look good on say uni applications? Would it give me a better chance of getting into uni or anything else I might apply for? Is it worth applying? There's no guarantee that if I did apply I would get head girl anyway, they might not like my application essay or my interview might go badly. Is it worth the opportunity?

I would think about it less from a university application perspective and more from an internship/job application perspective.

It sounds like you want to do it, so have some conviction and go for it. It'll benefit you in the long run.
It's good for uni applications but not so important, but definitely shows good skills. I was head girl last year. Don't care about what other people think... they will only be thinking what a good thing it is! You'll never know if you could have got it if you don't try. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest