The Student Room Group

Is it a MUST to have a laptop for chemical engineering/computer science?

I have a pretty good gaming pc which i will be taking to the accommodation for uni. I will be applying for chemical engineering or computer science. I dont have a laptop and i dont really want to buy one either so im asking if just a pc is fine?

Thanks in advance
Original post by NigelK98
I have a pretty good gaming pc which i will be taking to the accommodation for uni. I will be applying for chemical engineering or computer science. I dont have a laptop and i dont really want to buy one either so im asking if just a pc is fine?

Thanks in advance

Whatever will run Word is fine.
Reply 2
PC is fine, people buy laptops mainly because of portability e.g. taking it to the library and lectures etc
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
Whatever will run Word is fine.

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Ishax
PC is fine, people buy laptops mainly because of portability e.g. taking it to the library and lectures etc

Much appreciated
Original post by NigelK98

Thanks in advance

I honestly would recommend having a laptop. I understand the frustration of wanting a desktop PC, I felt the same, but having a laptop gives you a lot of flexibility and it really is worth it. It is not a must to have one (having said that, I noticed a few weeks ago that Imperial actually has made it compulsory for Chemical Engineering) but I would strongly recommend it.
Desktop is fine as you'll probably be able to find a uni computer for more powerful programs, the portability of having a powerful laptop is definitely worth it though if you can find a cheap, smallish, i7 x700hq powered laptop or what you'll find is better value for money is getting a laptop with a GTX 1060 in it as it'll give you the best of both worlds and cost a similar amount to an equivalent GTX 1060 PC + monitor + a chromebook while still being able to play games on a similar level to your PC as long as you're not going above 1440p (so it works out better unless you're playing at 4k then fair enough as 1070 and 1080 laptops come with a bit of a premium).

edit: actually if you do computer science you should be able to get a free copy of windows 10 as your department will have an agreement with microsoft, I've forgotten what it's called, but yeah taking that into account you could get a custom GTX 1070 laptop for that kind of money as well actually, or a 1060 for ~£1100.
(edited 7 years ago)
The only thing I'd say for chemical engineering is you will have to work on LOTS of group projects - and a lot of the time there won't be the computer availability on campus for you to meet and have access to the programs you will be using. Having a laptop means that when you meet with your group you'll actually be able to contribute.

Quick Reply

Latest