The Student Room Group

I'm the only one who is anxious about freshers..

Hey:smile:
I start university next week and although I'm not hours away from home I will be staying in accommodation. Unfortunately I'm not a massive clubbing lover or anything and I know that this is the main part of freshers week.. The reason I don't enjoy clubbing is because it makes me anxious and I always associate being in a loud busy environment with panic attacks, and that isn't my idea of fun:frown:
I feel like I have to give university accommodation a try though and I'm not saying i won't go clubbing, but I don't really want to go to many freshers events in night clubs I've never been to before. Is it acceptable to take the alternative option and stay in the accommodation lounge? Or maybe a local bar not far away? I mean.. surely there will be some people who feel the same, or maybe I'm wrong and every single person at university goes out for the nightlife. ????
Please someone give me some advice or reassurance! Thank you!!!
Hi, I'm feeling the same as you are, and so are many others! It's very unlikely wherever you're going that everyone will enjoy the club/party scene (I definitely don't). So I'm sure you'll be able to make friends with people like you who might just be hanging out in the student lounge or bar for the same reason. Plus there will probably be freshers events that aren't party orientated you could go to.

Good luck! I'm not much of an optimist, but I'm hoping we'll be able to find friends without clubbing etc. and be just fine :smile:.

ETA: Maybe go onto your uni's section on here, and start/find the 2016 Freshers thread. You might be able to get to know a few people beforehand, perhaps even on the same course or in the same accommodation. Or you could check if there are any social media groups you could join.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm feeling exactly the same, I think I will head out if I can find people to go with, and if I don't like it I'll leave early :smile: I'm mostly just desperate to find people though!
Reply 3
i'm going into my second year at uni - i didn't go to freshers events last year for the same reason as you, OP, and socially didn't suffer from it!
in my experience, people at uni are way more accepting than pretty much anywhere else. everyone i've talked to about my problems with anxiety have been really understanding and nonjudgemental, hopefully you'll have a similar experience!
I am in the same position OP, I don't enjoy clubbing and I don't drink so hoping I am going to find some friends with the same position in student lounge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you everyone, you've made me feel much calmer and reassured ! Would be amazing if we all ended up at the same university :h: good luck to you all!!!!
Most people go out clubbing. There will be some quieter people but the first week they'll be few and far between as people will be trying to fit in. The best way to approach it is to put up with going out a few times during freshers, doesn't have to be every night and you don't have to stay out til 4am or drink heavily - but show people, meet people and then you can suggest some quieter things too once you know people to invite. Once you get through freshers you don't need to go out that much (if at all) if you don't like it but it's worth making an effort with people at first or you'll end up feeling left out and lonely within your flat.
Original post by x.BlueEyedGirl.x
I start university next week and although I'm not hours away from home I will be staying in accommodation. Unfortunately I'm not a massive clubbing lover or anything and I know that this is the main part of freshers week.. The reason I don't enjoy clubbing is because it makes me anxious and I always associate being in a loud busy environment with panic attacks, and that isn't my idea of fun:frown:
I feel like I have to give university accommodation a try though and I'm not saying i won't go clubbing, but I don't really want to go to many freshers events in night clubs I've never been to before. Is it acceptable to take the alternative option and stay in the accommodation lounge? Or maybe a local bar not far away? I mean.. surely there will be some people who feel the same, or maybe I'm wrong and every single person at university goes out for the nightlife. ????

if you've never been how do you know you won't like it and why do you associate it with panic attacks.

you won't be the only one who isn't keen on clubbing you'll definnatly find some people who prefer bars most nights start in bars any way.
A great pile of utter rubbish is talked about 'Freshers' - and usually by people who aren't at University yet.

If you listen to all the silly stories, you'd think it was a week long festival of alcohol and general debauchery that would put Ibiza to shame. Yes, of course there will be the immature who discover beer and sex in the same week and think they invented both, but 99% of all students don't actually behave like that.

Freshers is about introducing you to Uni and breaking the ice before formal teaching starts the following week - a few nights out together are part of that, but that doesn't have to include clubbing, or even alcohol, if that isn't your thing. Lots of people will hang around halls, or do quick visits to pubs and bars. Lots of people. So don't get worried about this aspect of Freshers - just do what you enjoy, and don't feel pressured.
Original post by x.BlueEyedGirl.x

Hello :smile:,

My vlog that I recently made should cover this;
[video="youtube;LxIc-PLFh1A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxIc-PLFh1A[/video]

You don't not have to drink or club in Freshers - it is NOT the main part of Freshers week. It is the part that is glorified the most when it shouldn't be. Freshers is a week long ice-breaker event and full of stuff besides clubbing. There is society meetings during the week, sports events, freshers fair, other games run by your campus etc - it isn't all about the evening events do don't drag yourself down thinking it's all about that.

When at university you'll find people who feel the same as you - some people prefer bars over clubs and it isn't unusual. Don't let this negative thought bring you down. You still be able to enjoy your Freshers week!

Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by returnmigrant
A great pile of utter rubbish is talked about 'Freshers' - and usually by people who aren't at University yet.

If you listen to all the silly stories, you'd think it was a week long festival of alcohol and general debauchery that would put Ibiza to shame. Yes, of course there will be the immature who discover beer and sex in the same week and think they invented both, but 99% of all students don't actually behave like that.

Freshers is about introducing you to Uni and breaking the ice before formal teaching starts the following week - a few nights out together are part of that, but that doesn't have to include clubbing, or even alcohol, if that isn't your thing. Lots of people will hang around halls, or do quick visits to pubs and bars. Lots of people. So don't get worried about this aspect of Freshers - just do what you enjoy, and don't feel pressured.

Hi mate, i was just wandering if you could help me re uni. I'm about to start next week at DMU for Computer science, but can't help but think just one gap i could apply to unis like Leicster and Liverpool. I am not sure if it's worth resitting. I've had lots of different responses, some saying the gap between the unis is big and most saying it's irrelevant as despite a 20-25 difference in ranking De montfort is still a solid respected uni, and I should just go and get that first or 2:1 and with experience this will still be me in a great position for jobs.

Any help appreciated, obviously this isn't just a ranking thing and i did visit Leicester for example and the uni itself was 'better',but at the same time DMU was still solid, so it's more of me just not wanting to limit employment opportunities in the future by not resitting and going to Liverpool or Leicester.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending