The Student Room Group

I need help a levels subject pls before monday

So here is my situation, i have just started AS in my sixth form and i have picked economics, mathematics , politics and business. However i just recently found out business and economics clash and it is seen as a 'soft' subject to the top universities. I am planning on changing my business studies to something else however i need to chose from this one block of subjects. The subjects in the fourth block are french, geography, sociology, biology, btec engineering and btec ict. i did not study french gcse however i did study engineering at gcse and got distinction distinction. Also no one has picked geography in my school for 2 years so i cannot chose that. I plan on studying economics at university and hopefully get a career in investment banking. So what fourth subject should i pick? should i just pick any then get another a level done privately? help
Sociology is apparently really easy and could make a good fourth as level
Original post by Sayf E Ghenaiet
So here is my situation, i have just started AS in my sixth form and i have picked economics, mathematics , politics and business. However i just recently found out business and economics clash and it is seen as a 'soft' subject to the top universities. I am planning on changing my business studies to something else however i need to chose from this one block of subjects. The subjects in the fourth block are french, geography, sociology, biology, btec engineering and btec ict. i did not study french gcse however i did study engineering at gcse and got distinction distinction. Also no one has picked geography in my school for 2 years so i cannot chose that. I plan on studying economics at university and hopefully get a career in investment banking. So what fourth subject should i pick? should i just pick any then get another a level done privately? help

Hi,

You won't be able to do French if you've not taken it at GCSE, so this is completely out of the question. Geography would be complement what you're already doing, but if you can't take that (if nobody can take it, why is it in the option block?) it's also out of the question. Sociology would also complement well, so if you're interested in that it might be a good choice. However, it is seen as a 'softer' subject by many universities, but it depends on what you're doing and what your other A-Levels are.

My personal recommendation would be to take Biology (provided it's something in which you are interested and which you feel that you would enjoy - never take a subject you don't enjoy). It's a facilitating subject, a well-respected A-Level, and it contrasts with what you're already doing, showing a wide skill-set to a university/employer.

If you're doing four A-Levels already, I would advise against doing another privately; you'll only put extra pressure on yourself. A-Levels are much more about depth of study than breadth of study, so you don't want to take too many subjects.

Hope that helps you to make your decision! :smile:
You can do further maths, if you want to apply to the top economic schools such as LSE
History goes well with politics
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
You can do further maths, if you want to apply to the top economic schools such as LSE

Further maths isn't in the fourth block :frown:
Original post by SuperHuman98
History goes well with politics

History also isn't in my fourth block however if i did this privately i would work real hard as i am really interested in stuff like that.
History also isn't in my fourth block however if i did this privately i would work real hard as i am really interested in stuff like that.

Ok I would choose Georaphy then ( i study Geography and history), are you interested in Geography? Or are you interestes in biology? Choose the one you like more
Original post by SuperHuman98
Ok I would choose Georaphy then ( i study Geography and history), are you interested in Geography? Or are you interestes in biology? Choose the one you like more

im super interested in geography aswell but no one has picked geography in my sixth form for 2 years so the head of sf would not allow me to do it :/ i have applied to another sixth form though as they offer history but all i can do is wait and make due.

I agree with what the other poster put- sociology is quite a nice, and not too difficult subject to pick. Its quite interesting as well. I did it at both gcse and a-level and loved it. It also goes quite nicely with politics. It might not be top of unis most favoured subjects, but i can think of a lot worse subjects. And for your 4th subject, its quite a nice subject to take.
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree with what the other poster put- sociology is quite a nice, and not too difficult subject to pick. Its quite interesting as well. I did it at both gcse and a-level and loved it. It also goes quite nicely with politics. It might not be top of unis most favoured subjects, but i can think of a lot worse subjects. And for your 4th subject, its quite a nice subject to take.

Thank you for replying, i think i'm going to chose sociology :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest