The Student Room Group

Are 5 A levels to much?

Are 5 A levels to much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. I did 5AS and 4A-Levels us EPQ it is certain doable, but absolutely. It necessary 3 is perfectly sufficient

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Totally dependent on whether or not you can manage - I'd take your gcse results as an indication. 5 As levels will be a heck of a lot of work and you would struggle but it is do-able. Depends on whether or not you personally think you can manage. For most people it would be too much, but idk you.
Reply 3
Depends on if you can handle it. Had a cousin who took 5 and couldn't do it. She got 1A and 4 Cs :L if she took 3 she could of probs got 3As instead
Reply 4
Original post by Sayf E Ghenaiet
Are 5 A levels to much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah probably
What if i drop 2 after one year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
WHY do you want to do 5?

No University wants 5 or will be extra-impressed by 5 - no, not even Oxbridge. And you risk not being able to study for any of them properly because you've taken on too much.

A*A*A* will always look better than AABBB
Unless the 5th one is General Studies/Critical Thinking, that would be a very bad idea. I could understand 4 but not 5. And no, you wouldn't necessarily have a distinct advantage. Do you research and find out what people think about having 4 A-levels - it's virtually the same thing you're asking. One possible benefit of doing 4 A-levels, that is, not dropping one at the end of the first year, is that for an offer with 3 grades, you might be able to use only your good ones.

For example, say you got ABC with 3 and ABBC with 4 and you need ABB at least, you now have it. This is very unrealistic though, given that you're grades should be much better with 3. It would be a case of A*A*A vs A*ABB which is worse. Unless you're VERY competent, a HARD (AND SMART) worker, AND ENJOY all of those subjects thoroughly, it may be best to not go with 4 and just do 3. In the end, most universities only look at your 3 A-levels. With that said though, some universities like Cambridge want like 600 UCAS tariff points or whatever THOUGH THE SYSTEM AND TARIFFS HAVE NOW CHANGED so if you get the chance to do an EPQ, do it, as that will give you extra points.

You will know if you're a hard worker if you're getting above 80% in all your tests. If you're not getting that, it's unlikely that you're gonna get that in the real exams. If your school doesn't see that you've got like AAAA in all four Advanced Subsidiary Subjects, they're not likely to even consider you carrying all of them, and even then you'll need some good reasons.

By all means though, since I've already tried to take 4 and they didn't let me, if you can handle it, go for it. If the going gets too tough, drop one.

There is a trick though.

The trick is to get consistently good marks and study well all the way through. In fact there's a good guide in this website - search for "How to smash your a levels by an A* student". Trust me, based on my own research, this guide links with a lot of that stuff and even has extra stuff I didn't consider thoroughly.

One last word of warning. It doesn't matter if you got 6A*s when you're up against candidates who have done work experience and many other stuff. Even just listing them in your personal statement is not enough. You gotta elaborate and stuff. Don't just think you can handle it, you have to prove you handled the pressure in the past, for example with straight As whilst volunteering and working at the same time.
:angelwings:
Thank you so much for your reply it helped a lot, i was just wondering what is EPQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sayf E Ghenaiet
Thank you so much for your reply it helped a lot, i was just wondering what is EPQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Extended_Project_Qualification

Quick Reply

Latest