The Student Room Group

What unis do I have a chance for to do economics

Hi, I got 4A* 7A at GCSE, A in maths AS (B in C1 B in C2 A in S1), got AAC in history bio and physics respectively. Going to resit some maths modules to try for an A*, anyone know where I'd be best applying for? thanks x
Reply 1
I would probably aim for 1 or 2 A*AA courses, 2 or 3 AAA courses and 1 or 2 AAB courses. I'm applying for Warwick, Nottingham, 2 of Bristol, Leeds and York, and Manchester - you have similar grades to me so those sorts of unis would make sense :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joddcfc
I would probably aim for 1 or 2 A*AA courses, 2 or 3 AAA courses and 1 or 2 AAB courses. I'm applying for Warwick, Nottingham, 2 of Bristol, Leeds and York, and Manchester - you have similar grades to me so those sorts of unis would make sense :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you, yeah i live in leeds anyway so im deffo applying there!
Original post by poppyrobbins
thank you, yeah i live in leeds anyway so im deffo applying there!

Are you going to drop or continue with Physics as your predicted grades are likely to be at least AAA/AAB without physics and if so I would pick two unis with an A*AA (I.e UCL, Bath, Warwick etc), two AAA/AAB unis and then one backup, maybe an ABB (I.e. Leicester etc).
I have done an Economics Degree BSc if you have any questions. Also are you thinking of doing BA or BSc as a level maths is likely to be needed for BSc
Original post by samiz20891
Are you going to drop or continue with Physics as your predicted grades are likely to be at least AAA/AAB without physics and if so I would pick two unis with an A*AA (I.e UCL, Bath, Warwick etc), two AAA/AAB unis and then one backup, maybe an ABB (I.e. Leicester etc).
I have done an Economics Degree BSc if you have any questions. Also are you thinking of doing BA or BSc as a level maths is likely to be needed for BSc

yeah I've dropped physics. I think a BSc, do you think I'm at a big disadvantage for not doing further maths and economics? econ wasn't available at my school.. thanks!
yeah I've dropped physics. I think a BSc, do you think I'm at a big disadvantage for not doing further maths and economics? econ wasn't available at my school.. thanks!

Unis accept if economics is not offered, then obviously students will not study it, could mention that it wasn't on offer either through a tutor ref or personal statement.
The key with an economics degree is to have a full a level maths, especially if you are doing BSc, it will normally be a core requirement. Very few, if any will need further maths and none will need economics as the uni course start from the basics, I.e demand and supply and basic micro and macro.
So don't worry about having no further maths or economics as it will not be needed. I think there were probably between 5-10% that had further maths on my economics course, so wasn't that common really. I didn't as I did physics, maths and economics at a level. If you can do s2 for maths it could be useful.
Original post by samiz20891
Unis accept if economics is not offered, then obviously students will not study it, could mention that it wasn't on offer either through a tutor ref or personal statement.
The key with an economics degree is to have a full a level maths, especially if you are doing BSc, it will normally be a core requirement. Very few, if any will need further maths and none will need economics as the uni course start from the basics, I.e demand and supply and basic micro and macro.
So don't worry about having no further maths or economics as it will not be needed. I think there were probably between 5-10% that had further maths on my economics course, so wasn't that common really. I didn't as I did physics, maths and economics at a level. If you can do s2 for maths it could be useful.

thanks thats reassuring haha! what uni did you go too if you dont mind me asking?
thanks thats reassuring haha! what uni did you go too if you dont mind me asking?

Honestly, it actually quite common for students to have little or no knowledge of any economics in the first year and other than a good mathematical basis, nothing else is often assumed.
University of Leicester, did Bsc Economics, graduated with a first but a few years ago now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending