The Student Room Group

Do the political studies make sense, and how popular are they in the UK?

I'm just curious, since I already graduated from political science and not in UK, but I'm wondering. In Poland for example, it is a very popular course, along with social science, and we are doomed out here with such degree.
My guess is that not many people decide to this course in the UK, because you have to pay for your studies, am I right, or does UK offer better opportunities for people with such education?

Edit:
Dammit, sorry If there is an grammar error in the title, should I treat 'political studies' as plural or singular?
(edited 7 years ago)
In Scotland university is free of charge, and in England you pay for university with deductions from your future income once you get a well-paid job (and if you don't get a well-paid job, you don't pay anything). So nobody really chooses whether or not to go to university on the basis of cost, unless they are very underpriveleged and don't want to take on any debt at all. Some people choose to do vocational subjects rather than humanities and social sciences because they think non-vocational subjects offer poor career prospects, but many if not most students still study arts, humanities + social science subjects (at least, if you only include universities and not all higher education establishments).
Reply 2
Thank you for the answer. And are they capable of finding relativeley good (not very badly payed or at least interesting) jobs? Out here, people with such degrees are considered to be brain-dead and generally useless, unless they have at least 1-2 years of job experience in particular branch.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PTMalewski
Thank you for the answer. And are they capable of finding relativeley good (not very badly payed or at least interesting) jobs? Out here, people with such degrees are considered to be brain-dead and generally useless, unless they have at least 1-2 years of job experience in particular branch.

It is becoming a more popular degree. As a general degree, it is fairly strong - it can be numerate, depending on modules, but it is certainly analytical, requires good writing and persuasive skills, logic etc, it's like many other arts, social science and humanities degrees. As such it is one of those degrees where the individual's 'soft skills' are just as important in getting a job.

If you want to pursue a career in something related, then generally these roles are very competitive, they are very open to the international market, and so a postgraduate qualification is usually necessary to enter the sector.
Original post by PTMalewski
I'm just curious, since I already graduated from political science and not in UK, but I'm wondering. In Poland for example, it is a very popular course, along with social science, and we are doomed out here with such degree.
My guess is that not many people decide to this course in the UK, because you have to pay for your studies, am I right, or does UK offer better opportunities for people with such education?

Edit:
Dammit, sorry If there is an grammar error in the title, should I treat 'political studies' as plural or singular?

There are some opportunities for graduates, but not enough considering the number of graduates. You need to have work experience and a strong application to stand a chance. Also many of the entry level roles directly related to politics and policy are either unpaid or low paid temporary roles so many politics graduates don't go into a directly related field.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending