The Student Room Group

Will I get questioned about my personal statement at an Oxford interview?

Any information appreciated.
Reply 1
It is very likely that you will. (But it is also possible that your admissions tutors will make no mention of it at all, and even that they won't have read it.)

The two principal ways in which your PS will be used are:

1. To ask you about something non-academic or extra-curricular as a way of breaking the ice or just because they're genuinely interested in what you get up to.

2. To challenge you on an interesting view you express, or get you to expand on a claim you make. Therefore: (i) make sure you have read and have interesting things to say about any books or other reading you mention, and (ii) make sure you can back up any views you express or claims you make with further argument.
Why, are you planning on lying in it?

You should be prepared to discuss anything that's in it.
Reply 3
Original post by Estreth
It is very likely that you will. (But it is also possible that your admissions tutors will make no mention of it at all, and even that they won't have read it.)

The two principal ways in which your PS will be used are:

1. To ask you about something non-academic or extra-curricular as a way of breaking the ice or just because they're genuinely interested in what you get up to.

2. To challenge you on an interesting view you express, or get you to expand on a claim you make. Therefore: (i) make sure you have read and have interesting things to say about any books or other reading you mention, and (ii) make sure you can back up any views you express or claims you make with further argument.

Hmm I see. Is this also true for maths? I've heard they don't even read maths personal statements?!
Reply 4
Original post by Duncan2012
Why, are you planning on lying in it?

You should be prepared to discuss anything that's in it.

Not at all, there are points which are true but I would find difficult to discuss.
I did briefly get asked about the books I read and extra-curricular activities
Original post by BurdMan
Not at all, there are points which are true but I would find difficult to discuss.

Then why include them? Can you give an example? You're being very cryptic - if we knew what you were trying to get at it would be easier to give an answer.
Reply 7
Original post by BurdMan
Hmm I see. Is this also true for maths? I've heard they don't even read maths personal statements?!

I don't know about maths specifically but it is definitely not the case that maths personal statements are universally left unread.

It would be foolish in the extreme to have anything on your personal statement that you wouldn't feel comfortable discussing. You will give a very poor impression if you are asked about something you have included and you have nothing to say about it, because it makes you look under-prepared and disingenuous as well as inarticulate and/or lacking in ideas.
Reply 8
Then why include them? Can you give an example? You're being very cryptic - if we knew what you were trying to get at it would be easier to give an answer.

Well that's simply because of the warnings I've read about sharing personal statements online : P

In the PS I've mentioned a talk about higher dimensional surfaces, I really enjoyed the talk but I've not found researching the topic as interesting as other areas in maths so I'm not sure whether or not to mention the talk.
Original post by BurdMan
Well that's simply because of the warnings I've read about sharing personal statements online : P

In the PS I've mentioned a talk about higher dimensional surfaces, I really enjoyed the talk but I've not found researching the topic as interesting as other areas in maths so I'm not sure whether or not to mention the talk.

Fair enough, no-one's expecting you to post anything you've written!

You could say something like 'My main interests lie in x, y and z, though I found a recent talk on higher dimensional surfaces by Professor xxx which I attended at the University of yyy very enjoyable and interesting...'
Reply 10
Fair enough, no-one's expecting you to post anything you've written!

You could say something like 'My main interests lie in x, y and z, though I found a recent talk on higher dimensional surfaces by Professor xxx which I attended at the University of yyy very enjoyable and interesting...'

Well I've made a bit of a claim following it, I could PM you the part if that's ok with you?
Original post by BurdMan
Any information appreciated.

Usually yes.
Original post by BurdMan
Well I've made a bit of a claim following it, I could PM you the part if that's ok with you?

Sure, happy to take a look. What stage is the PS at?
Reply 13
Hey guys! I'm a current first year Classicist at New College & I wrote a blog post on my interview experience which you may find helpful (particularly Classicists...) - https://apieceofviola.wordpress.com/2014/12/19/blogmas-day-nineteen-oxford-interviews/ but I also have a YouTube channel and I want to film a video within the next week talking about interviews and how to prepare with advice/tips etc. so if you have any questions whatsoever then send them my way as there will be a bunch of us from all different subjects talking about our experiences and answering questions (I hope) Good luck! xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending