The Student Room Group

Can I still get in?

I'm worried I won't get AAA-AAB for bachelors in any engineering course at Nottingham university (My aspirational univeristy). So I have decided to go for the Foundation course to enter the bachelors degree. My question is, say I get ABBBB or BBBBB in order of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Spanish, for my A levels, or Even BBCCB, for a course that requires atleast 3 Bs in any subject, will I get in even if it also requires me to have a B in maths for GCSE, where I got a C in IGCSE maths but for English and Bio I got A* and B for Chemistry and Physics?
This is the course:
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/faculty-of-engineering/engineering-and-physical-sciences-foundation-programme.aspx
Reply 1
I wouldn't recommend doing a foundation course because student finance for 1 year will be used up.

First complete your a levels and see what you get, you can always go for foundation course through clearing if that's what you want to do.
Why are you doing five subjects? Maybe if you drop biology and spanish you'll get AAA or better.
Reply 3
Original post by Ishax
I wouldn't recommend doing a foundation course because student finance for 1 year will be used up.

First complete your a levels and see what you get, you can always go for foundation course through clearing if that's what you want to do.

Really? I mean I am willing to spend my savings for that one particular year, the rest being student loans of course.

But I didn't know I could go for clearing in foundation. Maybe I'll actually try to apply for the normal course then, thank you for your help.
Reply 4
Original post by Callum323
Why are you doing five subjects? Maybe if you drop biology and spanish you'll get AAA or better.

I get that alot hahaha, but I simply enjoy them all, and I'de feel like I'm running away from them, I'm not a clever person, but still doesn't mean I can't enjoy the sciences right? plus bio and spanish are my strongest subjects so hewl naw.
Original post by Jivanshh
I get that alot hahaha, but I simply enjoy them all, and I'de feel like I'm running away from them, I'm not a clever person, but still doesn't mean I can't enjoy the sciences right? plus bio and spanish are my strongest subjects so hewl naw.

Well good luck to you, I certainly couldn't get good grades in 5 A-levels.
Reply 6
Original post by Callum323
Well good luck to you, I certainly couldn't get good grades in 5 A-levels.

Thanks, I'll certainly need it
Reply 7
Original post by Ishax

A Foundation Year leading to a degree doesn't use up your funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Jivanshh

Quality not quantity. Honestly. AAA is *much* better than BBBBB

For Engineering you need Maths, and usually Physics. Drop Chem and Spanish and get that BBBBB up to AAA.

You can always develop your Spanish at your university language centre.

And your A-level in Maths *might* override your GCSE. Check direct with the university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
Quality not quantity. Honestly. AAA is *much* better than BBBBB

For Engineering you need Maths, and usually Physics. Drop Chem and Spanish and get that BBBBB up to AAA.

You can always develop your Spanish at your university language centre.

And your A-level in Maths *might* override your GCSE. Check direct with the university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is, I'm a very dumb student, so if I put all my efforts in, I'de probably still get a B even if I did 3 subjects. Plus spanish is easy since I am a fluent speaker

Quick Reply

Latest