The Student Room Group

Instruct NHS to reverse their sudden ban on stem cell transplantation

Without prior warning, patients receiving lifesaving treatment for a rare form of blood cancer have had their funding for stem cell transplantation withdrawn by NHS England. A mother of 3 and a doctor are among those who started a course of treatment but are now being denied a stem cell transplant.

This unethical decision has left patients completely in limbo and placed in jeopardy those patients currently waiting to start their treatment. NHS England must reverse this decision immediately and reinstate funding for this treatment which until August was available for patients with this rare form of blood cancer. Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinaemia, which affects about 4,000 people in the UK, is a form of non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/167441

Scroll to see replies

:bump:
:kiss:
Isn't this part of whats being cut in order for gay men to not have to use condoms...
Original post by AlexS101
Isn't this part of whats being cut in order for gay men to not have to use condoms...

I beg your pardon :lolwut:
In my opinion, it doesn't make any sense for the NHS to stop funding stem cell transplantation since it would literally be equivalent to allowing thousands of patients to die.

Oh I see...

Don't quite know what to say back to that. :s-smilie:

It's not like the NHS is standing on it's last limb, therefore it doesn't make any sense to ban stem cell transplantation.
Reply 8

'Cancer treatment stopped to pay for HIV drug'
can't see anything about gay people. and yeah i know exactly what you meant. straight people dont get hiv do they :colonhash:
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
In my opinion, it doesn't make any sense for the NHS to stop funding stem cell transplantation since it would literally be equivalent to allowing thousands of patients to die.

It isn't right, especially after going through months of chemo to know that you can't complete your treatment. It's quite evil actually.
Original post by Ciel.
'Cancer treatment stopped to pay for HIV drug'
can't see anything about gay people. and yeah i know exactly what you meant. straight people dont get hiv do they :colonhash:

Its a drug for preventing it, not managing it...
And as far as the BBC reported it was only being offered to gay men, so while straight people can get HIV they can't get the drug...
Reply 11
Its a drug for preventing it, not managing it...
And as far as the BBC reported it was only being offered to gay men, so while straight people can get HIV they can't get the drug...

cant really see this being mentioned in the first part of the article. but i dont have full access to it so
:turban:
:tea:
Reply 15
One should do everything in their power to save someone's life, not the opposite..

You're a prick for saying this.
Original post by ForgetMe
One should do everything in their power to save someone's life, not the opposite..

I agree, I'm sad it hasn't even reached 5,000 yet :-( I thought it would by midnight. :frown:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I agree, I'm sad it hasn't even reached 5,000 yet :-( I thought it would by midnight. :frown:

Give it some time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending