The Student Room Group

Do I even stand a chance of getting in - I am doing A levels but I have no GCSE's

Ok. So I am doing my A levels (fast track) in the following subjects:
1. History A2
2. Sociology A2
3. Psychology A2

I have an AS in Govt. and Politics with an A grade

I am planning on studying Law (LLB) at uni at Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow, York or UniLaw

But there is one thing I am very afraid of. This is the fact I have no GCSE's what so ever. This is because I was educated in a foreign system (Slovenia&Ukraine) up till
a year ago when I decided to do A levels. Can this become a problem?

Also is it true Psychology and Sociology are seen as "mickey mouse" subjects by some uni's?
Original post by alexandercrowth
1. History A2
2. Sociology A2
3. Psychology A2

I am planning on studying Law (LLB) at uni at Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow, York or UniLaw

But there is one thing I am very afraid of. This is the fact I have no GCSE's what so ever. This is because I was educated in a foreign system (Slovenia&Ukraine) up till

Also is it true Psychology and Sociology are seen as "mickey mouse" subjects by some uni's?

firstly GCSE's are taken by UK students. As you were not in the UK system you would not have taken GCSE's. Your referee would need to advise the universities of this and if you wish you could seek the advice of the appropriate university before applying.

As far as your subjects each university will have its own list of preferred subjects. I attach details of the preferred subjects LSE use although these may be different from your chosen university

List of common traditional academic/”generally preferred” subjects: Ancient History Biology Classical Civilisation Chemistry Computing Economics English (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature) Further Mathematics* Geography Government and Politics History Languages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community** Mathematics Music Philosophy Physics Psychology Religious Studies Sociology List of common non-preferred subjects: Any Applied A level Accounting Art and Design Business Studies Citizenship Studies Communication and Culture Creative Writing Design and Technology Drama/Theatre Studies Film Studies Health and Social Care Home Economics Information and Communication Technology Law Leisure Studies Media Studies Music Technology Physical Education/Sports studies Travel and Tourism List of normally excluded subjects General Studies Critical Thinking Thinking Skills Knowledge and Enquiry Project Work
Original post by alexandercrowth
1. History A2
2. Sociology A2
3. Psychology A2

Regarding GCSE's no University is going to expect you to have them if you weren't educated in the UK or somewhere that has GCSE's. They will however expect equivalent qualifications from the country you studied in and I can assure you that you won't be penalised for being in a different education system. Primarily they will take into account your English/Maths at that level so be sure to highlight those with whichever qualification you took.

Generally speaking Psychology and Sociology are not considered as Mickey Mouse A-Levels. The only A-Level that is commonly disregarded from many University admissions team is General Studies. Psychology in particular has a much better reputation now.

Hope that was helpful and best of luck on applying for Law!

Jack

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending