The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Hull-York Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aRandomGuy
Gave HYMS a call today about the UKCAT...they haven't yet finalised their details but they said:

1. Last year, Band 2 in SJT received same no. of points as Band 1. They are considering doing this again this year.
2. They will score the UKCAT based on deciles but haven't yet worked out how many points each decile scores

Will they work it out before we send off our applications???
University of York
York
Original post by manlike99
Will they work it out before we send off our applications???

Probably not - they'll work out the weightings after they receive all their applications
Probably not - they'll work out the weightings after they receive all their applications

That's a bit weird. How am I meant to gauge whether it is worth applying?
That's a bit weird. How am I meant to gauge whether it is worth applying?

You have great stats :-)

Me on the other hand, I have 630 average on UKCAT and Band 2 (8A*s in best 8 subjects at GCSE - hoping it brings me up), I'm a lot more borderline, but screw it
You have great stats :-)

Me on the other hand, I have 630 average on UKCAT and Band 2 (8A*s in best 8 subjects at GCSE - hoping it brings me up), I'm a lot more borderline, but screw it

Depends on how they score the deciles.... If they score top 3 deciles same or something then I'm screwed.
Hmm, I see, fair enough thanks for telling me. It is my fourth choice anyway since it is traditional and I like the idea of PBL

Most unis usually indicate that a score greater than 2400 usually scores top marks. If you got 793 average, your total score is 2379, which, if doesn't score top marks, it will be damn close :biggrin: and will definitely pull your GCSE score up
Most unis usually indicate that a score greater than 2400 usually scores top marks. If you got 793 average, your total score is 2379, which, if doesn't score top marks, it will be damn close :biggrin: and will definitely pull your GCSE score up

2380 :wink: But will it pull it up enough... that's the question
2380 :wink: But will it pull it up enough... that's the question

Unfortunately, that's one question I can't answer :colondollar: I guess we're in a similar situation, I need my GCSEs to pull up my UKCAT, you need your UKCAT to pull up your GCSEs

Hard life, isn't it?
Unfortunately, that's one question I can't answer :colondollar: I guess we're in a similar situation, I need my GCSEs to pull up my UKCAT, you need your UKCAT to pull up your GCSEs

Hard life, isn't it?

Indeed. Think I'll avoid HYMS if they don't release info soon.
I will get full marks for GCSEs and SJT, but I scored 677 average in my UKCAT, is that cutting it close??
HII, I have 690 average ukcat band 1.
I have 4A*s, 3A's and 1 B at gcse -which I know is not on par with some other medics :frown:
4A's at A-level (achieved)
Is it enough to be within a reasonable shot at being given an offer? And if any one can hint me toward HYMS's scoring i would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
I really want to apply to Hull York this cycle but am a bit unsure whether to or not as I achieved a band 3 SJT in ukcat (in every single practise and in last years ukcat I got band 2 so this was slightly annoying). Will this affect my chances in a big way or should I still go for it?
I have A*AA already achieved in A levels with an A in EPQ and a B in AS further maths, as well as 8 A*s 3 As and a B at GCSE.
The average of my other scores in ukcat came to 700 exactly.
I don't mean to come across as whiny, this is just my 2nd attempt at applying to medicine and I really don't want to make the wrong decision when it comes to where to apply, one gap year is enough for me :colondollar:
Original post by Natalierose16
I really want to apply to Hull York this cycle but am a bit unsure whether to or not as I achieved a band 3 SJT in ukcat (in every single practise and in last years ukcat I got band 2 so this was slightly annoying). Will this affect my chances in a big way or should I still go for it?
I have A*AA already achieved in A levels with an A in EPQ and a B in AS further maths, as well as 8 A*s 3 As and a B at GCSE.
The average of my other scores in ukcat came to 700 exactly.
I don't mean to come across as whiny, this is just my 2nd attempt at applying to medicine and I really don't want to make the wrong decision when it comes to where to apply, one gap year is enough for me :colondollar:

Your UKCAT is great! But HYMS use the SJT at interview stage as well as admissions and are one of the only medical schools to put such a big emphasis on it. If I were you I wouldn't risk it, I would apply to more UKCAT heavy schools such as Newcastle or Sheffield which don't put as much emphasis on SJT.
Hi guys!I'm also applying!Stats: 7 A*s & 3 As at GCSE, 693 UKCAT average and SJT Band 1. What do you guys think?
Reply 54
Original post by NewVivacity
Hi guys!I'm also applying!Stats: 7 A*s & 3 As at GCSE, 693 UKCAT average and SJT Band 1. What do you guys think?

Hi Guys

I am applying from Canada and so I am an international applicant. I am in IB.

my predicted is likely to be 6,6,5 in Bio/ Chem / History HL and 6,6,5 in SL Math/ French/ Eng.

UKCAT 2490 with SJT Band 2. Avg 830 ( VR700/AR890/QA900)

I have volunteering experience.

Appreciate any advise on which schools to apply.....Thanks
This is my risky application, quite a weak applicant. 6 A*, 4 A at GCSE but 617 band 2 UKCAT so hoping for the best and fingers crossed :smile:
Seems like I'm the only candidate with Band 3... 😐
Does HYMS use widening participation data at all does anyone know?
Hi guys,
Im applying here

My stats are as follows
Top 8 gcse's: 7A* 1A
As level: AAAAA
A level prediction: A*A*A* + A* EPQ
UKCAT: 663 band 2

My question is that after interview would they give the same marks for a ukcat sjt band 1 and 2? I forgot to ask at open day 😖
Thanks in advance
Reply 59
Do I stand a chance of an interview?6a* 4a gcse, BBBC AS with AAA prediction (c was in chemistry but still predicted an A)680 ukcat band 1Strong ps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending