The Student Room Group

Fodmap diet, what do you eat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Isn't wheat gluten so anything that is gluten free will be wheat free? And isn't everything that is gluten high fodmap?

Gluten is a protein found in wheat and some other grains. You can get gluten free wheat products so wheat doesn't automatically mean gluten. FODMAPs are carbohydrates so gluten is not included in that definition. The issue is the carbohydrates (fructans I believe) in the wheat, not the gluten.

Was this not explained to you by a dietician? Who told you to go onto a low fodmap diet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Gluten is a protein found in wheat and some other grains. You can get gluten free wheat products so wheat doesn't automatically mean gluten. FODMAPs are carbohydrates so gluten is not included in that definition. The issue is the carbohydrates (fructans I believe) in the wheat, not the gluten.

Was this not explained to you by a dietician? Who told you to go onto a low fodmap diet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe fodmaps are in wheat, barley and rye which are gluten
Original post by Anonymous
I believe fodmaps are in wheat, barley and rye which are gluten

Gluten is a protein that can be found in grains. It is not the same as fructan which is the fermentable carbohydrate that belongs to the group known as fodmaps. Wheat, rye etc are not gluten. They are grains that contain the protein gluten. They can however be processed to remove the gluten. Gluten is not a fodmap. It cannot be, it isn't a fermentable oligosaccharide, monosaccharide or polyol. It's a protein.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest