The Student Room Group

A-level doubts

Hi,

So I'm currently into my second year of A-levels and I am taking chem, bio and history. I did poorly at AS, yet my lecturers allowed me onto the next year as they were surprised by my low results (mainly bio and chem) and I think they believe I'll do better this time around.

However, I think my poor mental health has been the cause of my results suffering. I have not informed the college, and I'm not sure if I should.

I digress. So back to the main point, I am worried I will yet again do terribly this year and that I won't be able to get into uni. Not only this, but looking at it realistically I know my predicted grades are going to be **** so I won't get offers anyway. So I was thinking of possibly switching out chemistry for English literature that I did better in. This, however, closes doors to many science undergrad courses out there and I'm not certain as to what I want to do in the future.

Sorry for the life story, but my opportunity for switching course is closing and I need to make up my mind. So if anybody has experienced something similar or has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks. :smile:

UPDATE: Sorted.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Aww, i feel for you.
I suggest that you should tell your college that you have this mental health problem as they are there to help. They are the ones that can give youthat extra support in order to achieve the best grades as possible. It's no good keeping it to yourself.
Don't worry, stay strong and you'll be fine.
Good luck! :smile:
Original post by gilamonster
Hi,

So I'm currently into my second year of A-levels and I am taking chem, bio and history. I did poorly at AS, yet my lecturers allowed me onto the next year as they were surprised by my low results (mainly bio and chem) and I think they believe I'll do better this time around.

However, I think my poor mental health has been the cause of my results suffering. I have not informed the college, and I'm not sure if I should.

I digress. So back to the main point, I am worried I will yet again do terribly this year and that I won't be able to get into uni. Not only this, but looking at it realistically I know my predicted grades are going to be **** so I won't get offers anyway. So I was thinking of possibly switching out chemistry for English literature that I did better in. This, however, closes doors to many science undergrad courses out there and I'm not certain as to what I want to do in the future.

Sorry for the life story, but my opportunity for switching course is closing and I need to make up my mind. So if anybody has experienced something similar or has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks. :smile:

Work out hwta you wnat to do as a degree.
Work out what 3 A levels will give you the best grades.
Work out whether oy might be better just to start year 12 again. Your academics sound in a poor state.
You also need to identify and deal with your mental health issues.
Reply 3
Original post by ak143244
Aww, i feel for you.
I suggest that you should tell your college that you have this mental health problem as they are there to help. They are the ones that can give youthat extra support in order to achieve the best grades as possible. It's no good keeping it to yourself.
Don't worry, stay strong and you'll be fine.
Good luck! :smile:

Your kind words have given me some encouragement. I'll speak to my tutor when I can, what they can do I'm not too sure. Thank you.
Reply 4
Your kind words have given me some encouragement. I'll speak to my tutor when I can, what they can do I'm not too sure. Thank you.

No problem. Keep me updated :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Work out hwta you wnat to do as a degree.
Work out what 3 A levels will give you the best grades.
Work out whether oy might be better just to start year 12 again. Your academics sound in a poor state.
You also need to identify and deal with your mental health issues.

A lot to work out, but it has to be done! Haha. I am considering a gap year anyway so I don't think I'll have to start over. Soon I will be going to some CBT, so hopefully this will help. I just don't know how I'm meant to know what I want to do at this age, it's like being thrown into the deep end of the pool with a few weights for extra measure.
A lot to work out, but it has to be done! Haha. I am considering a gap year anyway so I don't think I'll have to start over. Soon I will be going to some CBT, so hopefully this will help. I just don't know how I'm meant to know what I want to do at this age, it's like being thrown into the deep end of the pool with a few weights for extra measure.

Careers and do research.

Better your grades the better the uni you can go to.

You need to determine what you wnat to study and that might be dictated by what job you want to do. Talk to careers and do research.

Better sort it out now than be one of the posters here posting about:
1. They failed because of mental health problems.
2. They failed A levels
3. They didnt get to the right Uni.
4. They decidd on the wrong degree

etc. Just get things sorted out so yu know what you are doing.

Quick Reply

Latest