The Student Room Group

A-Level History Essays...

So, I was given my first ever A-Level History essay task. After almost a week of denial and procrastination, I have come to the realisation that I don't even know how to introduction. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

"Was the use of terror the main method utilised by the Bolshevik leadership to exercise control over the rest of the Communist Party up to 1924?" is the question.

Thanks in advance.
are you doing edexcel? I remember doing that question or something similar last year..
The question is multi-factor. It's asking you to weigh up the different methods of which the bolsheviks exercised control and outline which one you think was the main method. Start by listing out the other methods of control used by the bolsheviks, eg terror or the personal power of Lenin. Aim to have at least four different points in your essay including the factor given in the question. I would also advice you to start with factor given in the question and use that for your first paragraph. So for example the outline of an essay for this question could be
1) introduction- mention the four different methods the bolsheviks exercised control that you're gonna explore through the rest of the essay. Say which one you think was the main method
2) Paragraph 1- Discuss one method of control used by the bolsheviks, eg terror since its the method mentioned in the question. Say why you think its important or the least important (make sure to give both sides of the argument)
Repeat for the three other points, making sure to say why you think the method you said in your introduction was the main method is actually the main method and not the others. For your conclusion you shouldn't really introduce any new information, just reiterate what you've already discussed, making sure you mention the method which you think was the main method but still giving a balanced conclusion.

I dont really know if that made sense but I hope it helped!
Reply 2
Original post by snickercell
are you doing edexcel? I remember doing that question or something similar last year..
The question is multi-factor. It's asking you to weigh up the different methods of which the bolsheviks exercised control and outline which one you think was the main method. Start by listing out the other methods of control used by the bolsheviks, eg terror or the personal power of Lenin. Aim to have at least four different points in your essay including the factor given in the question. I would also advice you to start with factor given in the question and use that for your first paragraph. So for example the outline of an essay for this question could be
1) introduction- mention the four different methods the bolsheviks exercised control that you're gonna explore through the rest of the essay. Say which one you think was the main method
2) Paragraph 1- Discuss one method of control used by the bolsheviks, eg terror since its the method mentioned in the question. Say why you think its important or the least important (make sure to give both sides of the argument)
Repeat for the three other points, making sure to say why you think the method you said in your introduction was the main method is actually the main method and not the others. For your conclusion you shouldn't really introduce any new information, just reiterate what you've already discussed, making sure you mention the method which you think was the main method but still giving a balanced conclusion.

I dont really know if that made sense but I hope it helped!

Thank you! It actually did help a lot. My teacher completely threw me off when she explained it and I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to find someone else in my friend group who does history (turns out, no one else does). xD

Yep, I'm doing Edexcel.
Original post by AzarathM
Thank you! It actually did help a lot. My teacher completely threw me off when she explained it and I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to find someone else in my friend group who does history (turns out, no one else does). xD

Yep, I'm doing Edexcel.

omg I legit feel like i'm talking to myself from a year ago. My teacher did a piss poor job at explaining it too and I didn't know anyone else in my class who could help me. I guess you kinda pick up on how to do it the more essays you do. It's actually more mechanical thank you'd think. Anyways, good luck with your essay!
Reply 4
Thanks man. Good luck with the stuff you're doing at the moment. ^^
Original post by AzarathM
Thanks man. Good luck with the stuff you're doing at the moment. ^^

I've made some video lessons for your spec, might come in useful.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy5ETTP3287yu_gyYyFL0Cp7hm7sZ1Y70
Reply 6
Much love. I will be sure to make use of it. C:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending