The Student Room Group

average UKCAT score is 570, the end of medicine for me?

i got 590 for my UKCAT score but i still want to apply medicine in the UK. is there any Unis that would still accept me?
I got 3As, 5Bs and 1C for my GSCEs
my predicted A Level grades are AAA, but i aim to get an A* in Biology. Please help!!

Scroll to see replies

We're in the same boat man
Reply 2
Original post by Onthedancefloor
We're in the same boat man

any advices for both of us? 😂
Original post by aiman.som
any advices for both of us? 😂

Ohhhh I wish. Are you doing BMAT?
Unless your gcses are amazing then I doubt many doors would be open. However, if you take the BMAT you still have another chance to get into medical school without taking a year out :smile:
Reply 5
Nope, not the end of medicine.

Apply to unis that don't have cut offs this year. If you get rejected then take a gap year. Only do another degree if you're passionate about it otherwise you'll find yourself in a compromising situation, My UKCAT is 617 I'm applying for low-ukcat weighting unis this year. If I fail, which I wouldn't be surprised if I did, I'm going to SMASH the UKCAT next year and get in. You MUST keep your motivation high at all times. I understand how you feel. I want to do medicine, I've worked hard for my grades, edited my personal statement to it's death. Now it's all down to the unis. :smile:

Get some interview books, build your interviewing technique. If it doesn't happen this year there's always the next. You're worked too hard to let go of your dream now. Keep at it. :smile:
Reply 6
i got 590 for my UKCAT score but i still want to apply medicine in the UK. is there any Unis that would still accept me?
I got 3As, 5Bs and 1C for my GSCEs
my predicted A Level grades are AAA, but i aim to get an A* in Biology. Please help!!

In this case, I think it's fairer to be honest than kind: you will struggle with that UKCAT score.

But that doesn't mean the end of medicine! you may as well still apply this year, but you have to be savvy with which medical schools to go for. Go for ones that don't care as much for UKCAT (e.g. Bristol), or ones that only look at BMAT. just google 'how do medical schools use the ukcat' and you'll get an idea of which ones you should steer clear of. If that fails, then you can just take a year out and try again next year. This is way more common than you'd think.

as an aside, don't be disheartened by the UKCAT. It's a completely ridiculous test which proves nothing- if you asked any doctor on the wards today that sat the test, they will tell you the same: it's a horrid, pointless and onerous test that is used purely as an objective filter mechanism, and not to identify the brightest minds

Hope that helps
Reply 7
Original post by Onthedancefloor
Ohhhh I wish. Are you doing BMAT?

i dont plan to because i dont want to use up my time to revise for my A levels for BMAT too as i used some already for my UKCAT
Reply 8
Original post by rishisekhri123
Unless your gcses are amazing then I doubt many doors would be open. However, if you take the BMAT you still have another chance to get into medical school without taking a year out :smile:

ahhhh i see, so with BMAT to top up my UKCAT would be a safety measure?
Reply 9
Original post by Nuba123
Nope, not the end of medicine.

Apply to unis that don't have cut offs this year. If you get rejected then take a gap year. Only do another degree if you're passionate about it otherwise you'll find yourself in a compromising situation, My UKCAT is 617 I'm applying for low-ukcat weighting unis this year. If I fail, which I wouldn't be surprised if I did, I'm going to SMASH the UKCAT next year and get in. You MUST keep your motivation high at all times. I understand how you feel. I want to do medicine, I've worked hard for my grades, edited my personal statement to it's death. Now it's all down to the unis. :smile:

Get some interview books, build your interviewing technique. If it doesn't happen this year there's always the next. You're worked too hard to let go of your dream now. Keep at it. :smile:

is there a list of unis that dont have cut offs this year? would be great if i can narrow down my choices for my ucas app. thanks for the motivational prep i needed that so much!! yeap i just cant let go what ive worked hard for right hahaha
Reply 10
Original post by NoahJ
In this case, I think it's fairer to be honest than kind: you will struggle with that UKCAT score.

But that doesn't mean the end of medicine! you may as well still apply this year, but you have to be savvy with which medical schools to go for. Go for ones that don't care as much for UKCAT (e.g. Bristol), or ones that only look at BMAT. just google 'how do medical schools use the ukcat' and you'll get an idea of which ones you should steer clear of. If that fails, then you can just take a year out and try again next year. This is way more common than you'd think.

as an aside, don't be disheartened by the UKCAT. It's a completely ridiculous test which proves nothing- if you asked any doctor on the wards today that sat the test, they will tell you the same: it's a horrid, pointless and onerous test that is used purely as an objective filter mechanism, and not to identify the brightest minds

Hope that helps

thanks for the reassurance man. quite demotivated after i got my results. going to try my best now to get that predicted grades, or even higher. :-D
Bristol and Keele are probably your only UKCAT options, and even then its risky. Your going to have to take the BMAT to stand a chance this year
is there a list of unis that dont have cut offs this year? would be great if i can narrow down my choices for my ucas app. thanks for the motivational prep i needed that so much!! yeap i just cant let go what ive worked hard for right hahaha

I know I'm applying for Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Dundee for sure. Aberdeen is probably the safest but it's all I've got going for me. I would avoid Glasgow and St Andrews - I'm applying forGlasgow because my dad just won't let go but I would look into Liverpool, Keele, etc. Ignore everything you have going on and just spend today researching lots of medicine course- also, don't be afraid of ringing them up and asking questions - after all, they are very interested in your tuition fees. Or email them instead. Don't look into places like Newcastle, etc. they're cut offs are really high - I'm not just saying this to put you off, I'm not applying there either. :smile: I'm trying to be as helpful as possible. Have you looked into BMAT? If I lived in England I might have given it a go but make sure you're super prepared for this - and confident. So yeah, really hope things work out. Just stay super positive - I know it's really tough but DO NOT let it affect your grades this year. Get those high grades and you're pretty much set for acceptance if you decide to re-apply. Honestly, I feel like there's this huge stigma around re-applicants and I don't get it. :biggrin:
Original post by NoahJ

Hope that helps

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about being filtered out tho. But you're right people in the past applicants didn't sit admission tests for medicine and they were still excellent doctors. Just need to remember it's not a intelligence test. Clearly we're somewhat smart if we're even in a position to apply for medicine. :smile: POSITIVE VIBES UNO.
You don't need me to tell you how competitive medicine is. A score of 590 is uncompetitive. Unless you can offer a lot more in lieu of this score, you will not be successful in gaining a place this year. That's not to say that next year, with an improved UKCAT, you wouldn't be in the running.
Reply 15
Original post by HopelessMedic
Bristol and Keele are probably your only UKCAT options, and even then its risky. Your going to have to take the BMAT to stand a chance this year

im not eligible for both since both unis require a minimum 5As in GCSE's and i only got 3. To top that it also requires a minimum B in english in which i got a C. 😔
Reply 16
Original post by Nuba123
I know I'm applying for Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Dundee for sure. Aberdeen is probably the safest but it's all I've got going for me. I would avoid Glasgow and St Andrews - I'm applying forGlasgow because my dad just won't let go but I would look into Liverpool, Keele, etc. Ignore everything you have going on and just spend today researching lots of medicine course- also, don't be afraid of ringing them up and asking questions - after all, they are very interested in your tuition fees. Or email them instead. Don't look into places like Newcastle, etc. they're cut offs are really high - I'm not just saying this to put you off, I'm not applying there either. :smile: I'm trying to be as helpful as possible. Have you looked into BMAT? If I lived in England I might have given it a go but make sure you're super prepared for this - and confident. So yeah, really hope things work out. Just stay super positive - I know it's really tough but DO NOT let it affect your grades this year. Get those high grades and you're pretty much set for acceptance if you decide to re-apply. Honestly, I feel like there's this huge stigma around re-applicants and I don't get it. :biggrin:

i might reconsider taking BMAT now but i'll have to research about it soon. thanks for the reassuring! really helped 😁 overall thanks for spending time to reply 🙏🏼 been very helpful!
Reply 17
Original post by Reality Check
You don't need me to tell you how competitive medicine is. A score of 590 is uncompetitive. Unless you can offer a lot more in lieu of this score, you will not be successful in gaining a place this year. That's not to say that next year, with an improved UKCAT, you wouldn't be in the running.

thanks for the reality check 😁
Reply 18
Original post by Nuba123
Yeah, I don't know how I feel about being filtered out tho. But you're right people in the past applicants didn't sit admission tests for medicine and they were still excellent doctors. Just need to remember it's not a intelligence test. Clearly we're somewhat smart if we're even in a position to apply for medicine. :smile: POSITIVE VIBES UNO.

thanks for spreading the positive vibes guys!
Original post by Nuba123

Did you by any chance do reach? And I'm also a Scottish applicant with a low UKCAT. How are your overall stats?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending