The Student Room Group

"Everything hurts and I'm dying" - How do you deal with freshers' flu?

You're all settled into uni and freshers is coming to a close. But wait, no, you forgot it was cold outside when you've been going to da club and don't forget you've been mingling with people from all over the world.

Freshers' flu sucks. It gives you the feeling that Lesley Knope can only describe:

Whether you're going to be convalescing in your bed, or you're about to hit the pharmacy for their finest cold and flu tablets - we want to know what your best freshers flu' cure is...

(Bonus points if you get this GIF reference)

How do you deal with freshers' flu?

Scroll to see replies

Just don't drink and actually get enough sleep.
Reply 2
Original post by Roving Fish

How do you deal with freshers' flu?

First of all, man up.

Then drink lots of water, rest, eat well and have a healthy dose of TSR.
(edited 7 years ago)
Plenty of sleep, plenty of Netflix, plenty of fluids
Lots of casual sex. Spread the love around.
Original post by 303Pharma
Lots of casual sex. Spread the love around.

My motto is quite similar, except its "Lots of casual sex. Spread the plague around."
Original post by UWS
First of all, man up.

Seriously mate, no disrespect, but that really isn't cool. That toxic phrase needs annihilating from the language. There's a reason why over 80% of suicides are male. Unrealistic social reinforced gender stereotypes. Sorry if it seems like a language policing, but it's just one of those things that upsets me. Lost a couple of close friends because everyone around them told them to man up, keep their feelings, worries, anxiety bottled up, till they couldn't take it any more.

Sorry if off topic
Seriously mate, no disrespect, but that really isn't cool. That toxic phrase needs annihilating from the language. There's a reason why over 80% of suicides are male. Unrealistic social reinforced gender stereotypes. Sorry if it seems like a language policing, but it's just one of those things that upsets me. Lost a couple of close friends because everyone around them told them to man up, keep their feelings, worries, anxiety bottled up, till they couldn't take it any more.

Sorry if off topic

preach:adore:
Reply 8

Sorry if off topic

I see what you mean, sorry to hear that. This wasn't directed at anyone or intended to offend anyway as it's within the context of the thread title. Nevertheless, I don't want to derail this topic by discussing gender or semantics. Let's stay on topic please.
Hot toddiessssss (lemon, ginger and honey in hot water)

Plus lots of moaning and feeling sorry for myself

Ok, not a uni student any more but I'm joining innnnn. I get sick a lot.
Reply 10
If you're going for a cold & flu remedy, check out supermarket own brand stuff. It can have the same doses of the same ingredients at a fraction of the price. e.g. Lemsip All-in-One Cold & Flu Max, 16 capsules, £4.50. Sainsburys own Max Strength Cold & Flu, 16 capsules, £1.90. Same active ingredients in the same doses - identical products, where you can pay an extra £2.60 for a slightly more colourful box.

If you have a snotty cold, invest the difference in Kleenex Balsam tissues. They contain a mild moisturiser which stops your nose feeling like it's been sandpapered after a couple of days. In this case the extra money is actually worth it. Just don't try cleaning your glasses with them.

Buy a hot water bottle - or better still, two. One for your feet and one to hug. It's old-fashioned but very comforting. Plus they're highly portable - you can have one on your lap if you're working at a desk, or with you as you languish on a comfy chair.
(edited 7 years ago)
I got over freshers flu the way anyone cool gets over anything these days, drugs (You know, over the counter drugs in safe dosages).

I started by taking 2 multi-vitamins in the morning and then again in the evening as well as going through 2 boxes of lensip max whilst I had a cold and half a box of ibuprofen. I also made sure to have lots of fluids like orange juice and water in addition to eating good food like salads.

To anyone out there with freshers flu, I hope you feel better soon!

Oh, and please don't go anywhere near me.. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
If you're going for a cold & flu remedy, check out supermarket own brand stuff. It can have the same doses of the same ingredients at a fraction of the price. e.g. Lemsip All-in-One Cold & Flu Max, 16 capsules, £4.50. Sainsburys own Max Strength Cold & Flu, 16 capsules, £1.90. Same active ingredients in the same doses - identical products, where you can pay an extra £2.60 for a slightly more colourful box.

If you have a snotty cold, invest the difference in Kleenex Balsam tissues. They contain a mild moisturiser which stops your nose feeling like it's been sandpapered after a couple of days. In this case the extra money is actually worth it. Just don't try cleaning your glasses with them.

Buy a hot water bottle - or better still, two. One for your feet and one to hug. It's old-fashioned but very comforting. Plus they're highly portable - you can have one on your lap if you're working at a desk, or with you as you languish on a comfy chair.

Retail secret. I used to work in the labs of a manufacturing plant. The produce they place in the premium packaging was the exact same material they parcelled up in own brand packaging. This is rampant in the retail industry.
Original post by Klix88

You can also get the ones that you heat up in the microwave.

I managed to avoid freshers flu. Instead, I just spent the first 6 weeks with some wonderful skin condition called pityriasis rosea.
Rest,plenty of fluid,and good food.
Original post by UWS
I see what you mean, sorry to hear that. This wasn't directed at anyone or intended to offend anyway as it's within the context of the thread title. Nevertheless, I don't want to derail this topic by discussing gender or semantics. Let's stay on topic please.

No it's all good. God I hate the phrase but that was really triggering. Darts into the heart.Not your fault.Scratching at wounds that will never heal.
Reply 16
No it's all good. God I hate the phrase but that was really triggering. Darts into the heart.Not your fault.Scratching at wounds that will never heal.

I'm sorry :hugs: I just didn't mean it like that :frown:

I'll be more careful with my word choices next time :smile:
Water and vitamins. Healthy diet. Suppose the last one is perceived to be difficult when a student.

Sorry if off topic

First and foremost, man up.
Original post by natalie427
Water and vitamins. Healthy diet. Suppose the last one is perceived to be difficult when a student.

A lot of female students seems to receive a high dosage of protetin during freshers, so they are likely to anticipate less problems

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending