The Student Room Group

Students at my UNI are doing blackface under the guise of celebration!

I'm deeply offended by what I saw while on my way heading to the library. A bunch of students have decided that it was a good idea to laminate paper cutouts of the faces of proponents of civil rights movements fashioned as masks including ones of MLK, Rosa Parks and Malcolm X to name a few familiar faces... And for some strange reason Lupita Nyong'o's face for some bizarre reason.

Although I felt nauseous from the sudden bile that I felt rising up my throat I confronted them and asked them what they were doing. It is important to note that there was not a single black person among them all white or brown (Asians). They said they were promoting the black history month event to be held some time next week by 'dressing up' as the civil rights leaders. I quickly interrupted with asking how Lupita is a civil rights leader and not to mention that the woman is Kenyan and was born in mexico. Of course they were dumb founded but one of the more loud ones in the group said that she is "breaking barriers in Hollywood...and is a contemporary face" before shrugging his shoulders.

When I brought up the fact that they were doing black face they acted oblivious and remarked that the masks have cut out eyes and quote "for a good cause" at which point I just walked off.

I understand that people, white people in particular, want to appear as allies of any black movement due to white guilt but there is no need to go overboard to the point where you're mocking the same people that you claim to be allied with. It is akin to going to a gay club and behaving flamboyantly and uttering words like slay, "yaass, queen" and "you better werk" every two seconds in order to downplay your straight privilege.
I think this is a troll.
I don't think I've read anything as melodramatic and sanctimonious for quite some time. Are you often deeply offended about things - I suspect so.
I don't known if I agree with you there OP. Were they doing something offensive while wearing the masks? Like were they jumping up and down in circles pretending to do tribal chants? Coz thats racist. Were they pretending to shoot each other? Coz that's racist. Were they pretending to be the typical hollywood black sassy friend? Coz thats racist. If they were just wearing the masks, and raising any sort of attention to such an important yet overlooked part of the calender year i think its not as bad as you think. Now don't get me wrong I don't agree with them. They are just embarassing themselves and the cause they say they support but racism? Maybe i'm wrong? I assume you're black, i'd love to hear exactly which part of their shenanigans you found offensive.

EDIT: oh and about Lupita, i think it is very fitting considering that she is a black oscar winner and the oscars are facing a racism issue recently.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
I don't think I've read anything as melodramatic and sanctimonious for quite some time. Are you often deeply offended about things - I suspect so.

Looking at OP's last thread about 'racist' teachers, id say so.

Such an overreaction here as well.
I dont see the issue. They are famous historical people and its no different as if you wore a face mask for Winston Churchill or Mrs T.
Original post by UWS
Looking at OP's last thread about 'racist' teachers, id say so.

Such an overreaction here as well.

Mummy's little snowflake got a bit upset about the nasty teacher-weacher man.
Reply 7
I want to begin by saying I am of black origin but this has nothing to do with that and more to do with the basic tenants of common sense and having social sensitivity. A bunch of white people wearing masks of black people is deeply troubling because black face is a massive problem in Europe and America. In some European countries it is a national holiday to wear blackface and drink alcohol while engaging in stereotypical racist behaviour. If you are going to support a cause such as racism and black empowerment you should be at the very least socially conscious. In fact as I said in my OP they did think about the black face implications of wearing the masks but they thought it would be okay because they think they are a part of the movement. What's more hurtful is the history of black face in this country which these people are oblivious to, have you seen the ignorant Britannia coco-nut dancers?

Original post by Millie-3
I don't known if I agree with you there OP. Were they doing something offensive while wearing the masks? Like were they jumping up and down in circles pretending to do tribal chants? Coz thats racist. Were they pretending to shoot each other? Coz that's racist. Were they pretending to be the typical hollywood black sassy friend? Coz thats racist. If they were just wearing the masks, and raising any sort of attention to such an important yet overlooked part of the calender year i think its not as bad as you think. Now don't get me wrong I don't agree with them. They are just embarassing themselves and the cause they say they support but racism? Maybe i'm wrong? I assume you're black, i'd love to hear exactly which part of their shenanigans you found offensive.
Noted.

Next time we, on behalf of all non black people in the entire world, will Photoshop MLK into a white person and then wear his face.

Because nobody seems to mind when people wear the queen's face or Simon cowell or any and Dec.... Right? (;
Reply 9
Original post by 1010marina
Noted.

Next time we, on behalf of all non black people in the entire world, will Photoshop MLK into a white person and then wear his face.

Because nobody seems to mind when people wear the queen's face or Simon cowell or any and Dec.... Right? (;

This is a moot point because there is no white equivalent of black face, moreover, black people have no such history of mocking white people's skin colour by wearing chalk on their skin and behaving stereotypically white - hint there is no such thing.
Original post by Galadrielll
there is no white equivalent of black face,

Exactly

If these people were celebrating black rights you are just being a lousy SJW. If they were sitting their laughing at black people then you might have had a point
I'm deeply offended by what I saw while on my way heading to the library. A bunch of students have decided that it was a good idea to laminate paper cutouts of the faces of proponents of civil rights movements fashioned as masks including ones of MLK, Rosa Parks and Malcolm X to name a few familiar faces... And for some strange reason Lupita Nyong'o's face for some bizarre reason.

Although I felt nauseous from the sudden bile that I felt rising up my throat I confronted them and asked them what they were doing. It is important to note that there was not a single black person among them all white or brown (Asians). They said they were promoting the black history month event to be held some time next week by 'dressing up' as the civil rights leaders. I quickly interrupted with asking how Lupita is a civil rights leader and not to mention that the woman is Kenyan and was born in mexico. Of course they were dumb founded but one of the more loud ones in the group said that she is "breaking barriers in Hollywood...and is a contemporary face" before shrugging his shoulders.

When I brought up the fact that they were doing black face they acted oblivious and remarked that the masks have cut out eyes and quote "for a good cause" at which point I just walked off.

I understand that people, white people in particular, want to appear as allies of any black movement due to white guilt but there is no need to go overboard to the point where you're mocking the same people that you claim to be allied with. It is akin to going to a gay club and behaving flamboyantly and uttering words like slay, "yaass, queen" and "you better werk" every two seconds in order to downplay your straight privilege.

BIB shows that OP's probably a troll. If not, grow up, it's people wearing masks.

So you are saying that people of a certain skin colour cannot wear a mask.Isn't that racist?

racism isn't going to be solved by making sure everybody knows (and obeys) what things they are and aren't allowed to do because of their skin colour

it's going to be solved when what people are and aren't allowed to do doesn't depend on their skin colour in the first place

i believe you are contributing to the problem

Quick Reply

Latest