The Student Room Group

Home Secretary branded "racist" for her immigration plans.

Scroll to see replies

I think we should start forcing companies to publish stats on how many Brexit voters they employ so I know who to avoid.
Reply 41
Original post by WBZ144
True, once Brits start getting kicked out of other countries because they're getting fired, the issue of a shortage of jobs will arise again.

<rhetorical question mode on>
If they were skilled enough to 'steal' a job in another country perhaps they will be skilled enough for one of the jobs a migrant worker would be recruited for in the UK <rhetorical question mode off>
The other week I read a stat ( in the Grauniad no less) that showed in the last twelve months 80% of all newly created jobs went to people born outside the country.
Make of that way you will.
Original post by viffer
<rhetorical question mode on>
If they were skilled enough to 'steal' a job in another country perhaps they will be skilled enough for one of the jobs a migrant worker would be recruited for in the UK <rhetorical question mode off>

It's not difficult to find work in every country, sometimes the process is easier than it is in the UK. Some value degrees from Western universities, even though the employee is incompetent. Or they could very well be teaching English as a second language or the like, and it's not as though such people are sought after in the UK job market.

And if they are skilled enough to replace skilled foreign workers, the issue remains that there will be a shortage of jobs for young people, because more experienced Brits moving back home will be "stealing" them.
Original post by caravaggio2
The other week I read a stat ( in the Grauniad no less) that showed in the last twelve months 80% of all newly created jobs went to people born outside the country.
Make of that way you will.

Do you have the source?
Reply 45
Original post by Quantex
The rhetoric coming from the Conservatives suggests they want to turn the UK into a safe space to protect delicate Brits from nefarious foreigners and their undesirable characteristics like work ethic and willingness to migrate to obtain employment.

...and accept lower wages.
Reply 46
Original post by jelly1000
I don't like the idea of making companies publish lists of foreign workers, that sounds too divisional- those who are here legally, working and paying taxes should be treated the same as Brits, not 'outed' like an enemy. However I agree we need to do more to help get Brits into work such as by equipping them with the skills they need- I believe big businesses especially need to do more in this by paying for training costs where necessary and not cutting corners with pay and standards which freedom of movement has allowed them to do.

It wouldn't be list of names, just the proportion of foreign workers. It would brand several companies which only hire Poles to do menial work.
Reply 47
Original post by WBZ144
This is reminiscent of the Saudisation process currently happening in Saudi; it has reached the point at which they are now fining companies who don't employ enough Saudis and subjecting them to heavy sanctions. I don't think that companies should miss out on hiring exceptional talent just because they came from overseas. After all, it has already been made much more difficult for non-EU migrants to move here for work and international students to stay following their studies. The proposals don't make her racist but they are extreme.

It has nothing to do with KSA. The idea there is to reduce the phenomenon of companies only using foreign labour as it is cheaper. I don't think the minister is complaining about immigrants working in banks.
Reply 48
Original post by WBZ144
But as of April 2016 it became a lot cheaper for companies to hire people at home and overseas. Now they have to pay out salaries of at least £35,000, which is higher than most graduate jobs if they want their non-British employee to be granted Teir 2 visa. That's why I think that a measure such as this one is too extreme. It is now much harder for people to migrate to the UK for work if they are not EU citizens, and I can understand why it was done but the new measure will ostracise people who already live in the UK permanently. If they have a spouse or children who are British, obviously it's going to be problematic.

The £35K threshold is for non-EU nationals who want to stay after having already lived 7 years in the UK. Otherwise, they can come if they have a job paid £20.8K (last time I checked).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
It has nothing to do with KSA. The idea there is to reduce the phenomenon of companies only using foreign labour as it is cheaper. I don't think the minister is complaining about immigrants working in banks.

I already addressed the claim that skilled foreign labour is cheaper. That isn't the case at all, especially not as of Spring 2016.

It does have some parallels to the current labour laws of KSA (and who would want to follow the example of that country?) For and instance: much of KSA's workforce consisted of foreign workers, skilled and unskilled. Then the population began to grow at a fast rate and more women began to enter the workforce. As a result, Saudi men began to complain that the reason why unemployment was on the rise was that foreign workers and women were "stealing" the jobs. The Saudi government may be a dictatorship, but it does take steps it believes it should take to avoid civil unrest similar to what is happening in the non-Gulf Middle Eastern countries so what do you get as a result? Saudisation, foreign workers being treated as a necessary evil whose skills are being put to use until enough locals have received enough adequate training which will enable them to replace the foreign workers and "send them home".
Reply 50
Original post by Dandaman1
I dunno, I'm a little torn.

Firstly, it's definitely not racist. Not even xenophobic, per se. It's perfectly reasonable for a government to want to resolve national unemployment issues and get more of its own citizens into work and gaining experience.

However, I also feel that if a employer wants to to hire foriegn workers, that's their business. The government shouldn't force force employers to hire certian people over others or force them to disclose their employees' citizenship (provided they are in the country working legally). Too authoritarian.

Original post by looloo2134
I pro-immigration of high skilled foreign workers from any country (e.g. teacher, sciences,nurse, doctor est) as there are more people in Britain who are pensioners than children and numbers of pensioner are going up each year.

However, low skillied foreign workers from any part of the world should only be allowied in on working holidays. Low skillied workers can stay if they got a skillied that needed in Britain e.g. a brink layer which we don't train another off.

The way to solve this would be a law saying that businesses can employ foreigners as long as they pay them above the mean salary (£27K). So we would be sure that they don't use cheap foreign labour, without creating paperwork.
Reply 51
Original post by WBZ144
I already addressed the claim that skilled foreign labour is cheaper.

I wasn't speaking of skilled foreign labour. These immigrants should always be welcome.
The assumption seems to be that local workers are:

- anywhere near as hardworking as immigrants
- anywhere near as productive as immigrants
- anywhere near as cost-effective as immigrants
- anywhere near as reliable as immigrants
- as willing as immigrants to move for a job

But other than that wild stretch in imagination, I see no reason why foreign workers should be employed before a local worker

:rolleyes:
Original post by Zerforax
The assumption seems to be that local workers are:

- anywhere near as hardworking as immigrants
- anywhere near as productive as immigrants
- anywhere near as cost-effective as immigrants
- anywhere near as reliable as immigrants
- as willing as immigrants to move for a job

But other than that wild stretch in imagination, I see no reason why foreign workers should be employed before a local worker

:rolleyes:

and your assumption is that the people who built one of the most successful nations in human history are less intelligent, less creative and less hardworking than people from failed states. Funny that.
Original post by MemeworksStudios
and your assumption is that the people who built one of the most successful nations in human history are less intelligent, less creative and less hardworking than people from failed states. Funny that.

Having a handful of intelligent people help make mass progress doesn't mean the entire population is intelligent.

Also trying to ride off other people's historic achievements is such a typical attitude which shows why the local population of this country are falling behind.

Haha let's ignore the fact that this nation stole and pillaged from several countries with force and violence which helped propel itself forwards at the expense of others.

Also I'd argue that the previous success has made the current generation more lazy and with a bigger sense of self-entitlement.

Or is there another reason why such a big number of the local population can't or can't be bothered to get jobs?
Having a handful of intelligent people help make mass progress doesn't mean the entire population is intelligent.

Correct, but the average migrant worker is not a doctor/lawyer/engineer, get real.

Also trying to ride off other people's historic achievements is such a typical attitude which shows why the local population of this country are falling behind.

It's valid point the sort of response you're giving is often used to undermine the national confidence of British people.

Haha let's ignore the fact that this nation stole and pillaged from several countries with force and violence which helped propel itself forwards at the expense of others.

Successful nations from which many of the most successful migrants come such as China, don't have this bitterness towards the Brits, they're thankful for the infrastructure Britain built for them.

Also I'd argue that the previous success has made the current generation more lazy and with a bigger sense of self-entitlement.

Potentially true.

Or is there another reason why such a big number of the local population can't or can't be bothered to get jobs?

British people are nowhere near as lazy as Guardian reading buffoons thing, aside from places like the US and Japan, Brits are among the most hardworking.

Lastly, do bear in mind that British doesn't necessarily mean White.
The name and "shame" policy is nothing more than a political populism exercise, pandering to the far-right.

If the government really wants to help the unskilled Brits, they should double or triple their effort in training them and not redirect their failure on businesses.

Businesses are in business to do business, not social engineering, not to protect those Brits that are benefits scrounging against hard working taxing paying migrants.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Gives a **** about local people/isn't prepared to commit treason? Probable waycist :u:

What rhetoric have they come out with that is in any way Safe Space like, huh? Quote please :eyeball:

I don't see why it should matter ,if they're able to job well and have a good work ethic then we should be encouraging that regardless of where they may be from. It's the whole they're stealing our jobs nonsense blah blah
Original post by Blimey1000
The name and "shame" policy is nothing more than a political populism exercise, pandering to the far-right.

If the government really wants to help the unskilled Brits, they should double or triple their effort in training them and not redirect their failure on businesses.

Businesses are in business to do business, not social engineering, not to protect those Brits that are benefits scrounging against hard working taxing paying migrants.

Preach
Original post by Foo.mp3
Agree, but you haven't answered my question

Aye, bit pathetic really e.g. attempting to delegate responsibility for foreigners pervading our society/workforce, and using shame to do so. What the country wants is direct action on immigration and integration. Intention is good, policy is silly

I have :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending