The Student Room Group

Bad idea to talk about experiences with anxiety/depression in personal statement?

I'm not sure if I should talk about my experiences with anxiety/depression in my personal statement for psychology.

I will relate it to why I want to do psychology of course.

What do you think?

Thanks
If you're able to right about it in a positive - I guess light (which I imagine isn't something easy regarding mental health) and how it inspired, motivated you etc then yes, but if it's a more negative perspective then no. Personal statements are not supposed to encompass anything negative, it's all about what's great about you!
I did, and like the above said, I spun it in my favour. When I had an interview for one of my universities, they mentioned it and said they both respected and admired the mention. If you can, do it. :smile:
I intend talk about it in mine, as it is a major contributing factor as to why I left uni halfway through honours year to pursue science. I'm definitely planning to talk about it in a positive light rather than trying to gain a sympathy vote. :smile:
Its the spin that matters, so as said above make sure the pitch has a positive outcome rather than being an ongoing problem. Get someone you trust to review it so you get the balance right.
Reply 5
Original post by sinfonietta
I intend talk about it in mine, as it is a major contributing factor as to why I left uni halfway through honours year to pursue science. I'm definitely planning to talk about it in a positive light rather than trying to gain a sympathy vote. :smile:

yep I definitely didn't write about it in a way that I'm trying to get a sympathy vote. I spoke about how I think my personal experiences would be beneficial in a prospective career as a clinical psychologist (the upper hand in having experience in the core of the issue), and about my motivation to be a source of help for people suffering from these disorders.

Thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by pierreboobvier
I did, and like the above said, I spun it in my favour. When I had an interview for one of my universities, they mentioned it and said they both respected and admired the mention. If you can, do it. :smile:

Okay, thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Its the spin that matters, so as said above make sure the pitch has a positive outcome rather than being an ongoing problem. Get someone you trust to review it so you get the balance right.

Okay, will make sure to do so. Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by caitlynm
If you're able to right about it in a positive - I guess light (which I imagine isn't something easy regarding mental health) and how it inspired, motivated you etc then yes, but if it's a more negative perspective then no. Personal statements are not supposed to encompass anything negative, it's all about what's great about you!

I spoke about my motivation to be a clinical psychologist and thus be a source of help suffering from these debilitating disorders. I said how I think my personal experiences would be beneficial in a prospective career as a psychologist and related this to my characteristics- e.g. empathetic, etc.

I only briefly mentioned that I am able to relate to these disorders but didn't didn't go into my experiences.

Thanks!
Original post by Nadine_08
Okay, will make sure to do so. Thanks!

They run a free checking service on here,if you get to 100 posts. One time only though. I think for this then a teacher or anyone who is reasonably objective could five feedback on how it came about. Just ask yourself whether what you are writing is helping your case as to why you would make a student. If you get the balance right instead of geting bogged down, then you will be fine. I expect its quie a common approach for many of their applicants. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending