The Student Room Group

Feeling down in uni

Lately, i have been feeling really down like i have cried 4 times this week and its only week 3. I really like my course, its enjoyable but i guess im feeling lonely and my anxiety has being going wield, i woke up today to a panic attack, its starting to effect my work. My room mates seem to get along with each other more than they do with me, i feel like an outsider, all i wanna do is go home but i kinda wanna stick this through and im planing on joining societies and have made an appointment to the well being centre. Anyway, all im asking for is advice, like i cant see myself lasting the week but i wanna do this course so badly
Reply 1
Being someone who also has anxiety, I know how hard it can be but its normal to be homesick and anxious when you're put into a new and unfamiliar environment. My advice would be to stick it out for a while as things might get better the more you get used to being at uni. You've already taken steps to fix your situation by choosing to join societies and seeking guidance. As hard as it may seem right now, just push through what you're experiencing and know that you're not alone! So many people go through the same feelings. It'll pass, i'm sure :smile:
Original post by alyshia1
Lately, i have been feeling really down like i have cried 4 times this week and its only week 3. I really like my course, its enjoyable but i guess im feeling lonely and my anxiety has being going wield, i woke up today to a panic attack, its starting to effect my work. My room mates seem to get along with each other more than they do with me, i feel like an outsider, all i wanna do is go home but i kinda wanna stick this through and im planing on joining societies and have made an appointment to the well being centre. Anyway, all im asking for is advice, like i cant see myself lasting the week but i wanna do this course so badly

I've been in this kind of situation before. Talk to more people and try getting involved with people who you like and it can get better.
Oh my goodness I'm in the exact same situation. I stay at the library until like 11 or 12 just to avoid my flatmates and tend to have lunch in my room for the same reason. Can we bond over this? (I know this isn't really useful advice but I reckon I'm in no good position to give advice) :P
Reply 4
its good to know that someone feels the same!
its good to know that someone feels the same!

Yeah. I know I said I'm not really in a great position to give advice, but I reckon going to the well being services is a good start. I went this morning and the person I talked to was really kind and told me about these services available in the city to help. He even said that the uni would connect with them for me (I just need to register with a gp first). That's just my experience but I hope yours goes okay :smile:

If you look at the forums plenty of people have the same anxiety issues.

Have you made any friends off your course, have you proposed doing anything as a house/flat? Drinks, dvd evening, cinema, meals? Its easy to want to run away sometimes and easy to isolate yourself.
You have done a good thing joining some societies. Try and stick with them as you could make good friends. You only need a few familiar faces.

If it gets bad then contact student welfare, but theres plenty of people on thse forums posting whi arent coping as well as you. Stick with it and eventually you will find your feet. As an emergency stopgap, then good book, music and feelgood films might help you get through the days a bit better. hang in there. Dont miss out on the clubs you need to go at least 6 times really and then it stops feeing awkward as you get to know people.

Hello :smile:

I am terribly sorry to hear the situation you are going through, it's saddening to hear that you're having this experience. However, I can tell you I am PROUD of you for already reaching out to the Well Being Centre, that is a good step in the right direction and shows that you are motivated to change the situation you are in.

It is only three weeks in as you've said and what you are feeling is common - read through the threads of TSR and you'll suddenly realise how you aren't alone at all!
It's good that you enjoy your course - use that and hold onto it. Try and enjoy every lecture and take something away from it! The Well Being Centre will be able to help you deal with your anxiety and as time goes on, it'll get better so hold on for that. Don't compare the way your roommates get on to the way you get on with them - it'll make yourself worse. There is no rule that says you HAVE to get on with the people you live with, sure it's nice if you do but no big deal if you can't - you can join societies and meet people that way and talk to people on your course! Small steps.

Also, if you feel like it's all overwhelming, set yourself small goals. Tell yourself to just get to the next weekend or Christmas and then see how you feel. Keep doing that and it'll get you through.

Be proud of yourself for all you have already achieved.
Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending