The Student Room Group

How to manage life in sixth form

I'm in my first term of year 12 and am currently struggling with my time management. I was the highest achiever in my school for GCSE and would like to achieve the best grades possible at A-Level but so far I'm struggling. I'm studying History, Maths and Sociology.
For anyone who actually has their life together, how do you manage it? What is your schedule?
I'm trying to balance my studies, piano, exercise, some actual freetime and extracurricular activities for my UCAS. Some guidance would be much appreciated.
Original post by Xrffyuhstyhbf
I'm in my first term of year 12 and am currently struggling with my time management. I was the highest achiever in my school for GCSE and would like to achieve the best grades possible at A-Level but so far I'm struggling. I'm studying History, Maths and Sociology.
For anyone who actually has their life together, how do you manage it? What is your schedule?
I'm trying to balance my studies, piano, exercise, some actual freetime and extracurricular activities for my UCAS. Some guidance would be much appreciated.

Hi @Xrffyuhstyhbf

I just want to reassure you that you are doing a great job. The fact that you’re seeking out help and want to find good ways of coping is commendable.

I would start off by writing everything down and try and start with the commitments you have that are the highest priority. So you might start with sixth form/college and work your way down. This is a good way of visualising what needs more time and what needs less of your attention. And it is nice to get things down on paper to free some head space!

Personally, I know Monday to Wednesday are my busy days where I have a lot going on. I have uni, work and gym on those days. So Thursday and Friday I slow down and focus on my uni work and revision. I might choose to go to the library for two hours or I might stay in bed and do my uni work. But my main priority as a student is my uni work so I dedicate more time for that. On the weekends I try not to do any uni work and spend time on my hobbies and seeing friends.

Essentially I have created a little working week/routine for myself and it helps me with managing my time. It also helps me to not feel so overwhelmed. I work really hard during the week so I don’t feel guilty about enjoying my weekends.

Hope this is a little helpful!
Anastasia BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest