The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature

Hey guys who's doing the AQA syllabus for the new 9-1 GCSEs, could you guys give tips on how to be perceptive and what helps to improve your creative writing!
I believe that's the course I'm currently taking :smile: (year 11 here) Which texts are you studying?
Reply 2
If you're not used to being perceptive one way to begin is to try to pick up alternative meanings. The whole beauty of English is that you can produce any meaning that is valid as long as you have evidence and justification. Thus, if you start to analyse meanings into others with evidence that's one way of being perceptive. Another skill is perhaps gathering other peoples opinions on it and working on alternatives from there.

I am currently predicted a level 9 and one great skill to have that already puts you in a top band is to follow these rules during literature or language: Tend to lean towards analysing a "pair of words" rather than a word. By this I mean try to find two words that perhaps contrast each other or the purpose of the text altogether. Some techniques of contrast can be through alliteration, ideas (juxtaposition would get you a higher grade than oxymoron) or through structure (i.e is that word out of place? (poem wise) or is there different punctuation surrounding that word compared to others).

Another way of being perceptive is by analysing the letters of a word (if you decided to just analyse a word and want to get into top band I recommend this strongly). For example the question could be about weather and a phrase could be "packed hard" see how they use only combinations of hard letters? such as "ck" and "rd" this then forces the reader to say the word/phrase in a harsh sound. Now you give an alternative. This could either resemble the shape of the snow or the motion of the snow falling (harsh sounds could resemble that the snow was falling quite harshly)

Please use these tips they really do help!!!
Original post by CuriousCat567
I believe that's the course I'm currently taking :smile: (year 11 here) Which texts are you studying?

Im studying Macbeth and A Christmas Carol what about you?
Original post by NinaBean
If you're not used to being perceptive one way to begin is to try to pick up alternative meanings. The whole beauty of English is that you can produce any meaning that is valid as long as you have evidence and justification. Thus, if you start to analyse meanings into others with evidence that's one way of being perceptive. Another skill is perhaps gathering other peoples opinions on it and working on alternatives from there.

I am currently predicted a level 9 and one great skill to have that already puts you in a top band is to follow these rules during literature or language: Tend to lean towards analysing a "pair of words" rather than a word. By this I mean try to find two words that perhaps contrast each other or the purpose of the text altogether. Some techniques of contrast can be through alliteration, ideas (juxtaposition would get you a higher grade than oxymoron) or through structure (i.e is that word out of place? (poem wise) or is there different punctuation surrounding that word compared to others).

Another way of being perceptive is by analysing the letters of a word (if you decided to just analyse a word and want to get into top band I recommend this strongly). For example the question could be about weather and a phrase could be "packed hard" see how they use only combinations of hard letters? such as "ck" and "rd" this then forces the reader to say the word/phrase in a harsh sound. Now you give an alternative. This could either resemble the shape of the snow or the motion of the snow falling (harsh sounds could resemble that the snow was falling quite harshly)

How do you find all these techniques so quick what helps to find these. Reading books, annotating extracts what do you do?
Reply 5
I'm in Year 11 too so i'm doing this syllabus :smile: But I find English really hard because even when I have ideas I never get them all written down. The texts I'm doing are Frankenstein, Romeo and Juliet, the Power and Conflict cluster for poetry and some short stories like A family supper
Original post by NinaBean

Have you got any tips for English language as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moppet
I'm in Year 11 too so i'm doing this syllabus :smile: But I find English really hard because even when I have ideas I never get them all written down. The texts I'm doing are Frankenstein, Romeo and Juliet, the Power and Conflict cluster for poetry and some short stories like A family supper

Im doing power and conflict for poetry as well, its really difficult!
Reply 8
Original post by SchoolLoverHater
Im doing power and conflict for poetry as well, its really difficult!

i'm thinking of buying a text guide for the poetry cluster with detailed annotations to help me. What grade are you aiming for?
Original post by Moppet
i'm thinking of buying a text guide for the poetry cluster with detailed annotations to help me. What grade are you aiming for?

I would love to get a 9 but the way things are currently going i think i'll probably end up with a 7 8 if i'm lucky. What about you?
Reply 10
I would love to get a 9 but the way things are currently going i think i'll probably end up with a 7 8 if i'm lucky. What about you?

I'm sure you'll get a 9 😃 I would love one too but realistically I'll be lucky to get a 7 after lots of hard work :/ Have you heard about Mr Bruff
Original post by Moppet
I'm sure you'll get a 9 😃 I would love one too but realistically I'll be lucky to get a 7 after lots of hard work :/ Have you heard about Mr Bruff

No, what's that?
I'm doing this too, I love most of the poems I'm doing (Love and Relationships - not Power and Conflict) and I think I'm doing Much Ado and Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, I don't know what my modern novel is yet :smile:
Original post by bxcks_
I'm doing this too, I love most of the poems I'm doing (Love and Relationships - not Power and Conflict) and I think I'm doing Much Ado and Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, I don't know what my modern novel is yet :smile:

I think your modern novel is Jekyll and Hyde. How are you finding the course so far?
I think your modern novel is Jekyll and Hyde. How are you finding the course so far?

Nah, that's our old one, we don't yet know what our 20th century novel is :tongue: I'm finding Literature pretty good, I'm really enjoying the content and I've improved my skills. I've particularly enjoyed the poetry :smile: I think timing is a key issue that I need to work on though🤔 and some aspects of the language side. We've only worked on one of the papers (I think it's paper 2) so I'm not sure about the whole of the language course.
Original post by bxcks_
Nah, that's our old one, we don't yet know what our 20th century novel is :tongue: I'm finding Literature pretty good, I'm really enjoying the content and I've improved my skills. I've particularly enjoyed the poetry :smile: I think timing is a key issue that I need to work on though🤔 and some aspects of the language side. We've only worked on one of the papers (I think it's paper 2) so I'm not sure about the whole of the language course.

Yh timing is one of they key things for English, but probably by the exam you'll be fine
Reply 16
No, what's that?

He does you tube videos to help with this spec and sells revision guides for it. You could look at some of the free samples for his books online to see if you like them. Good luck revising though :smile:
Original post by Moppet
He does you tube videos to help with this spec and sells revision guides for it. You could look at some of the free samples for his books online to see if you like them. Good luck revising though :smile:

Thanks, you too!

Quick Reply

Latest