The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Isn't it discriminitive that we even question whether or not a white person can be racially abused? Of course they can. Anyone of any race can be abused because of race. Just take that story of the first White home coming queen at the traditionally black school (i don't remember where that was) she was called all sorts of names and called unworthy of the position because of her skin colour. It's historically seen as more common for racism to occur purely white > black howver, in modern Europe where we are such a multi cultural society racism can and does flow both ways.
Reply 21
There was this slavic girl (so not even dark really) who went to my school and went around calling everyone milky bar kids, milk bottles, whities etc. lol. Suffice to say she eventually left because she had no friends.
i go to a college where over 80% of the pupils are coloured and rasism is a big problem
racism is a 2 way thing
Reply 23
Abhead
Yes a white person can be racially abused, but if it happens in this country the context is different to if it was an ethnic minority being abused. The majority of the population are white, and there is no history of white people being opressed.
And that's not racist at all...
Abhead
Yes a white person can be racially abused, but if it happens in this country the context is different to if it was an ethnic minority being abused. The majority of the population are white, and there is no history of white people being opressed.

What does that have to do with anything, especially the issue of oppression?

Please don't tell me you're trying to suggest that racism against white people is justified because they are a majority and because they've had no history of oppression.

How exactly does that work?
It's less likely to happen in a place where white people are the majority...

Although, my friend called my other friend a "honky bitch" once as a joke... still got beat up... :holmes:
Reply 26
Yes, white people are racially abused when people sneeringly calling them 'stupid white boy' and 'fat white bitch' etc. It happens all the time, and nobody says anything about it in the media as far as I know, white people dont have a PC tribe sticking up for them, yet.
Reply 27
mcgoohan
Yes, white people are racially abused when people sneeringly calling them 'stupid white boy' and 'fat white bitch' etc. It happens all the time, and nobody says anything about it in the media as far as I know, white people dont have a PC tribe sticking up for them, yet.

is 'honky' a racist term?
Not sure if this counts but when she was in America, my mum asked a black girl how to get somewhere and the girl just looked her up and down and said "I don't talk to white people" and then just walked off. When my mum told me about it I was like "wtf??".
Of course white people can be racially abused, the only difference is, we don't go about whining about it like everyone else :wink:
Spice_Weasel
Of course white people can be racially abused, the only difference is, we don't go about whining about it like everyone else :wink:

:hmmm: generalisation.
sleekchic

Please don't tell me you're trying to suggest that racism against white people is justified because they are a majority and because they've had no history of oppression.

No I'm just not daft enough to think that one of the school kids at the shop I used to work at calling me a "white bitch" or something has the same affect on me, when I am living in a white majority country where there is no history of white people being racially targeted, that a white kid calling an asian employee a "fcking p*ki" would. The context is different. Obviously for a white person living in an area where they are in the minority the situation would be different.
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
:hmmm: generalisation.

Indeed it is, but lets not quibble over semantics? I got my point across, and I think it's a valid one!

EDIT:

I find it hard to justify my reasoning, but I think the 'racism card' is a part of many non-white cultures in the UK now. I've grown up in Birmingham and Bristol, two very ethnically diverse cities. At school and college you would hear people using the term "That's racist", "You're ignorant", etc as parts of jokes.

I'd say my college was roughly 70% students of mixed ethnicity and 30% white. Consequently my circle of friends also represented that. I've witnessed friends breaking up: Friends that used to insult each other with the occasional ethnically orientated joke as it was funny to both and harmless. The friends then broke up, and my coloured mate decided to make a big deal out of it and report him to the college for being racist.

Being white I got LOADS of stick from my coloured mates. Not knowing about parts of thier culture, so getting laughed at for that, but it's all in good fun, y'know?

Being white at that college meant I was the minority, and it did feel at time like there was a self-created apartheid going on or something. White people would often be the subjects of jokes but we just don't care. The non-white people at my college were far too quick to play the racism-card and used it to get what they wanted.

You can see the effects of this already in our country. "You stupid white boy" is insulting and racist, yes, but "You stupid black boy" would be seen as worse in this country if you ask me - I'm not sure why, but that's the case, and it's most injust.

Also, I see people on this forum saying things like "I saw a white boy the other day" and no-one bats an eyelid. Where I feel uncomfortable saying "I saw a black boy" or "I saw a brown boy" as I feel it's a bit politically incorrect and whatnot nowdays.

It's all just OTT. Watch a few episodes of "Police, Camera, Action" or whatever the hell it is and after a while you will see a coloured person, getting arrested by white police men, and then uttering such nonsense as "Why are you arresting me? Is it because I'm *insert colour*?", "You racist pig", whatever.

I'm sorry, but this is all too blatantly obvious to deny. The world has bigger fish to fry than some idiot who files a racism charge over his friend calling him a "stupid black boy" when that very individual probably called his friend a "stupid white boy" the day before. ^o)
Renal
And that's not racist at all...

Explain to me what you think is racist about pointing out that there is a difference between being racially abused in a country in which you are an ethnic minority and being racially abused in a country in which you are part of the majority racially? It is a fact. I'm not saying that it is justifiable in either case.
Reply 34
Abhead
Explain to me what you think is racist about pointing out that there is a difference between being racially abused in a country in which you are an ethnic minority and being racially abused in a country in which you are part of the majority racially? It is a fact. I'm not saying that it is justifiable in either case.
******** you aren't - you're arguing that some races are more 'special' than others.
Spice_Weasel
Indeed it is, but lets not quibble over semantics? I got my point across, and I think it's a valid one!

thanks for the neg rep.
Renal
******** you aren't - you're arguing that some races are more 'special' than others.

You are ridiculous. I'm saying that being in a minority because of your ethnic background makes abuse related to your ethnicity potentially more damaging/upsetting.

For a white person living in a majority non-white country the same applies.
Reply 37
If a black person can be racially abused then so can a white person, it would be racist and ignorant to think that white people can not be racially abused, speaking from experience white people are sometimes racially abused more then others but the difference is that society considers racism against white people to be acceptable. At my uni there are a lot of racist black and asian people and virtually no racist white people.
Reply 38
sleekchic

I also don't get the logic.

Unfortunately Jo Brand, who the BBC love giving air-time to believes the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yOrXf14aYM

Go figure?!:o: :confused:
Reply 39
White people can be racially abused, however to claim that there is a an anti white bias in this society is ridiculous, whites have it considerably better off than other races.

Latest

Trending

Trending