The Student Room Group

Why is Japan so special?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
economy, nuclear stuff thats going down, technology. it's a pretty important place.
Reply 41
Original post by spongle

Original post by spongle
I didn't want to be accused of being a terrible person by quoting the other ones! :colondollar:

Yeah, I actually thought that might be the case.

Some of them are very funny. But one or two are a bit harsh, even by my standards.
Maybe because they're incredibly important to the global economy.
Reply 43
Original post by rylit91
Because aside from Western Europe, Japan is the only 'race' I deem to be civilised.

:frown:
Because of my childhood memories...

I love you Japan! :cry2:
Reply 45
Original post by Nayred
Bangladeshi Cyclones exceeded 100,000.

And this may to. When you have 10k people missing from one town
Queer folk who live their lives as such. Lovely people.
Reply 47
Japan is important???? really? maybe for economic reasons and publicity but not for me. :smile:
Reply 48
Japan is the third biggest economy. Not good for the U.S. in a time when nations are competing for resources.

Solution: create an earthquake over Japan.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 49
Japan isn't special to me. Japanese are generally very rude people, with a sick and twisted sense of humour. They are also a pro-whaling nation, and have a shocking class system which segregates their society.
Because Japan is an MEDC - and it's buildings are designed to resist such disasters. The fact that such widespread damage was experienced despite all of this is why it's so widely covered. Bangladesh floods every year, and the buildings aren't developed to cope with the issue, so it's a case of same old, same old (which unfortunately doesn't interest the media).
Because there are a powerful/important country.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
Japan is 'so special' as you put it because it is an MEDC, one of the most advanced nations in the world and undoubtedly what happens to them will have an effect on us. The British Media do tend to jump at anything that happens to nations like us and in Western Europe and America but will ignore coverage in other countries. You do have a point but Japan deserves all the mention it's getting at the moment because it's really distressing what is happening over there.
Reply 53
I think largely cos there were a lot of western news crews already there when it happened - they were already there because it's an economically and culturally important country.

also it helps keep you on top of the rolling news if your natural disaster looks like a special effects disaster movie.
Reply 54
Original post by flying plum
We were talking about this at work today, actually, because someone pointed out that 90,000 people died in the Sichuan earthquake and it barely made the 10 O'Clock news after the initial quake. The floods in Pakistan are generally considered to be the worst natural disaster of our generation, but had no where near the coverage of the 2004 Tsunami.

Our thoughts were that people have a particular fear about tsunami, maybe from horror movies. The almost anthropomorphism of the tsunami wave chasing us, and that horrible feeling of impending doom (the clip from 2004 of the person on the beach frozen solid in the face of the oncoming wave still haunts me a little). And perhaps there's also that bit of 'Western centricism'...we identify more with Japanese culture, being affluent, and can 'understand' it better, perhaps? There's also the element of 'sudden' and quick devastation - I think the death toll for the Pakistan floods was in the region of 1500, but over 14 million people were affected...but perhaps this isn't as 'shocking' as dramatic Tsunami footage, which has killed tens of thousands instantly?

By who?

The death toll didn't even come close to that of the 2004 Tsunami.
Reply 55
Japan is a much grater signifent contibuter to the world econemy we care about them so much more
I think the abundance of footage probably helped a bit, we tend to get a lot less frightening videos of disasters in 3rd world countries, which spark the media hype.
It is pretty serious though, a nuclear disaster in such a small and relatively densely populated country could have a far more serious impact than Chernobyl. It doesn't sound like it'll come to that with Japan's much better designed reactors.
Reply 57
Original post by Nayred
There have been so many recent disasters - Bangladesh Cyclones, Mexico Floods, Indonesian Mud Volcano, North Korea Floods, etc - that had far more casualties than Japan, yet the media keeps stressing as if this disaster is more important than any other. Prominent celebrities are even holding concerts to raise money for the victims. This is totally fine and the Japanese disaster is tragic but why is Japan so important?

You are using North Korea as an argument. Very few journalists can get into North Korea. It would be a very short news report and thats if reuters were ever to be told about it.
Reply 58
Because it's recent and relatively more devastating. The Christchurch Earthquake and the Chilean Landslides got great coverage during their time as well.
Reply 59
Globalisation has made traditional tiger economies such as Japan become increasingly important to us in the west. A prime example can be found when reviewing the UK's balance of payments deficit which currently stands at around £9.5bn, this is exponentially large, and a reason for this is due to the high number of consumer electronics produced and exported from Japan. Although the Japanese economy has been slowing recently, it still plays a major role in the world economy, and with this latest disaster we can expect to see consumer confidence fall in Japan, hoarding of food, inflation rising and falling production of exported goods which will increase prices for UK consumers and increase inflationary pressures for the UK as a whole.

EDIT; why neg rep? What I am saying is correct - Honda have announced closures of 4 main factories in Japan and they have also announced that UK factories may have to downsize whilst they find new suppliers due to the earthquake
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending