The Student Room Group

Do girls like smart boys over looks?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So basically, in my school I'm considered very smart (on TSR average haha) but to be frankly honest, I'm no David Beckham, don't get me wrong, I'm not horrendously ugly but there are a lot of other boys that are better looking and more sociable compared to me.

Any ways, I like a girl and she is really pretty and has been probably had offers from boys way handsomer (couldn't think of a word haha) than me but would she like even give me a chance (as in get to know me a bit instead of just looking at me and not noticing me).

Well.. most have my friends have always obsessed over guys looks which I have never understood. And I know some of them are the "looks over personality" type.

However, I think being smart is a win and any girl how is a least kind of smart would recognise that.

P.s. With the girl, you can't make someone like you, and don't try and pressurise her or anything, but you know, you can just talk to her and then maybe start being a bit flirty to let on you like her but not too much incase she doesn't like you. But if she does she might end up hinting back.
Original post by kat91s
Intelligence is pretty low in my priorities to be honest. I've dated and gotten on perfectly well with guys less intelligent than me before, and even guys who I'd say are a bit thick. They had other things going for them like a great personality, or similar interests to me, or good looks. :smile: I definitely wouldn't be attracted to someone just because they're clever!

Also, it depends what kind of intelligence - I dated a guy who was an engineer and was really clever with machines, but did stupid stuff like let his mates drag him behind a car in a suitcase... :colonhash:

My current boyfriend is dyslexic and appalling at reading and writing, but he's also an engineer and he is really talented. It doesn't come across in his messages one bit because of how badly written they are, but I don't mind that.

dump him
Reply 22
Original post by bradfriedal24
dump him

Err... why?!
Reply 23
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Why don't guys believe me when I say that intelligence is hot? And I don't mean that in a "I really fancy guys who wear glasses" kind of way, I mean how that intelligence comes across in their personality. My friend didn't believe me either. But seriously, as long as he doesn't start boring me to death with stuff about cars and football (if he saves that for his friends, I'll save my love of period dramas and multicoloured objects for mine), guys who can hold a good conversation, don't let me do all the talking (I tend to ramble) but don't talk the entire time themselves about intelligent topics will always be more attractive than people who don't have a clue about anything beyond cars and football (unless they invented the cars). There are people who my friends don't consider even remotely attractive, but when you talk to them they're very smart and more importantly, passionate about those things without being patronising (I hope I don't patronise people, I'd hate to think I do, I can't stand it) and it's just fun talking to people like that. Although for me I think the main factor is the ability to make me laugh, I wouldn't mind if they had an IQ of 7 if they could make me laugh, but not in a mean way.

This makes me sound like I'd only date Nobel prize winners. I don't mean that, only that being smart can be an attractive quality. :smile:

Original post by such_a_lady
Exactly. It depends on the girl. I know I can't date someone unless they're incredibly smart :lol:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Original post by 03hope03
IT really does depend on what this girl is like :smile: For me, I know I find intelligence the most attractive thing in a guy, and I wouldn't be able to date someone that wasn't intelligent. But generally girls do seem to go for hot guys rather than the intelligent ones.

Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
Definitely.

Personally I don't believe any of you. I think if you did indeed meet an intelligent guy and happened to like him, he would probably be atleast moderately good looking and possibly have other traits that you liked.

I've never in my life seen intelligence do anything on it's own. I don't consider myself intelligent by TSR standards, but some people seem to think I am, and I purposely have to dumb down when I'm with girls.
Reply 24
Absolutely. Smart guys are amazing! :smile:
Original post by Dark Horse
Personally I don't believe any of you. I think if you did indeed meet an intelligent guy and happened to like him, he would probably be atleast moderately good looking and possibly have other traits that you liked.

I've never in my life seen intelligence do anything on it's own. I don't consider myself intelligent by TSR standards, but some people seem to think I am, and I purposely have to dumb down when I'm with girls.

Try.

I wouldn't like a guy who only had his intelligence to recommend him any more than I'd like a boy who had nothing more to him than good looks. As I said, for me I'd say the most important quality is the ability to make me laugh. Beyond that, everything else is a bonus.

Because that's not patronising...I'm sure it's not necessary to say that you have to deliberately dumb down when you're with every girl you know. Sometimes I have to explain to my friends (both male and female) what a particular word means, but very rarely, and of course it works both ways. I know plenty of girls who are very intelligent and I'm honestly insulted on their behalf.
Reply 26
Try.

I wouldn't like a guy who only had his intelligence to recommend him any more than I'd like a boy who had nothing more to him than good looks. As I said, for me I'd say the most important quality is the ability to make me laugh. Beyond that, everything else is a bonus.

Because that's not patronising...I'm sure it's not necessary to say that you have to deliberately dumb down when you're with every girl you know. Sometimes I have to explain to my friends (both male and female) what a particular word means, but very rarely, and of course it works both ways. I know plenty of girls who are very intelligent and I'm honestly insulted on their behalf.

So in the first paragraph you pretty much confirm what I said.

And well it might sound patronizing when I put it down on paper like that but in reality I actually prefer the girls who like to keep things simple. I can't imagine sitting there and discussing the arts or current affairs with a girl. (Or anyone tbh, lol)

I can also empathize with explaining what words mean. I dumb things down because some people think your trying to belittle them when you use certain vocabulary.
I think smart girls like smart guys. And vice versa. And dumb girls like like dumb guys.
Reply 28
On here girls will say yes but irl a lot of girls will go for looks. Sorry it's just the world we live in these days.
Reply 29
Original post by MancBoy
On here girls will say yes but irl a lot of girls will go for looks. Sorry it's just the world we live in these days.

TSR =/= reality, I believe it is.

Because the mindless masses we encounter IRL aren't as enlightened and classy as the average TSR user. :rolleyes:
Intelligent boys are so much better in my opinion!
If you like this girl, go up to her and start a conversation. :smile:
Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5360
Reply 31
TSR =/= reality, I believe it is.

Because the mindless masses we encounter IRL aren't as enlightened and classy as the average TSR user. :rolleyes:

I didn't mean that at all but on forums obviously girls will say things to make themselves look good (mainly to avoid neg rep) or just not say anything at all but the fact of reality is that we live in a shallow society.
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Intelligent boys are so much better in my opinion!
If you like this girl, go up to her and start a conversation. :smile:
Good luck!

which planet u from babz
no chance mate
Original post by kat91s
Intelligence is pretty low in my priorities to be honest. I've dated and gotten on perfectly well with guys less intelligent than me before, and even guys who I'd say are a bit thick. They had other things going for them like a great personality, or similar interests to me, or good looks. :smile: I definitely wouldn't be attracted to someone just because they're clever!

Also, it depends what kind of intelligence - I dated a guy who was an engineer and was really clever with machines, but did stupid stuff like let his mates drag him behind a car in a suitcase... :colonhash:

My current boyfriend is dyslexic and appalling at reading and writing, but he's also an engineer and he is really talented. It doesn't come across in his messages one bit because of how badly written they are, but I don't mind that.

the 'stupid stuff' i highlighted in red is GUY STUFF.

but overall i liked the truth from your post. Most girls think to themselves that they would take intelligence over looks but they're just kidding themselves. It's human nature in the end.
Original post by bradfriedal24
which planet u from babz

The same one as you.

So in the first paragraph you pretty much confirm what I said.

And well it might sound patronizing when I put it down on paper like that but in reality I actually prefer the girls who like to keep things simple. I can't imagine sitting there and discussing the arts or current affairs with a girl. (Or anyone tbh, lol)

I can also empathize with explaining what words mean. I dumb things down because some people think your trying to belittle them when you use certain vocabulary.

Yeah, but I'm also saying that it's not all about looks either. Seriously, they could be ugly and thick as two short planks but if they can genuinely make me laugh then I don't care.

Really? But current affairs are fun. I mean that in an entirely non-sarcastic way. I actually enjoy talking about what's going on in the world.

Yes! I stopped after a while because I got the "Eugh, she's such a snob, what a know-it-all" and I was so confused when I was younger. My family use words like that all the time so I figured it was the norm. I never intended to belittle anyone, but that's how it came across.
Reply 37
Yeah, but I'm also saying that it's not all about looks either. Seriously, they could be ugly and thick as two short planks but if they can genuinely make me laugh then I don't care.

Really? But current affairs are fun. I mean that in an entirely non-sarcastic way. I actually enjoy talking about what's going on in the world.

Yes! I stopped after a while because I got the "Eugh, she's such a snob, what a know-it-all" and I was so confused when I was younger. My family use words like that all the time so I figured it was the norm. I never intended to belittle anyone, but that's how it came across.

You sound like a complete nerd to me tbh. How is talking about current affairs fun? Most of the world's current affairs are that of doom and gloom and the only time discussing them is ever fun is when it's done on Mock the Week or similar panel shows.
You sound like a complete nerd to me tbh. How is talking about current affairs fun? Most of the world's current affairs are that of doom and gloom and the only time discussing them is ever fun is when it's done on Mock the Week or similar panel shows.

I am. It's not a secret. Well, given the choice between discussing X Factor and discussing how the economy is a mess, I'd choose the economy. And no, not because I'm trying to be a hipster and whatnot, I'm just indifferent to all those things. Used to love them when I was about 13, but I just can't be bothered choosing favourites each week for them to be eliminated and replaced by people less talented. I love Mock the Week. Not as good as Have I Got News for You? though. I like getting on my soap box now and then.

Frankly, if you don't believe at least four girls who have stated that they prefer intelligent guys when they're on an internet forum and don't have to save face, then that's your choice. But I personally find intelligence to be far far sexier than looks. I really hate to draw on stereotypes and generalise but girls do tend to go for personality and character traits as opposed to looks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending