The Student Room Group

How can I convince my PE teacher to let me wear a rash guard in swimming?

We're starting swimming in PE this term and I'm not looking forward to it because I don't like showing people my body. I'm very skinny and I don't like to be shirtless in front of other people, especially girls. I moved schools this academic year and I haven't swum in years.

The PE uniform is quite strict and for swimming it's just swim shorts for boys, one piece costume with optional swim shorts on top for girls. No exceptions without a medical or religious reason (which I don't have). I asked my mum to ask the teacher but she said I just have to follow the uniform. How can I convince the teacher to change the rules?
Not the answer you’re looking for, but you probably can’t. Uniforms are there for a reason and that’s what the school considers safe.
Everyone feels self conscious at this age. Speaking as a girl at a school which has the same rules for swimming, I can assure you the girls will be feeling self conscious too.
Being comfortable with your shirt off is part of being a boy, so just take it as an opportunity to become more confident. Yes, realistically some girls will be looking but don’t worry about it. There’s nothing you can do so just get on with it.
Reply 2
I agree, just grit your teeth and bare it. And you'll be underwater most of the time.?

A few years back we had to do similar. Three girls and three boys per session. I had some puppy fat at the time (looking back that's all it was) so was horrified to find the other two guys were the slimmest in the year! I also wasn't too pleased to have to reveal my outie tummy button (turns out all three of us guys had outies, though I was probably the only one who noticed).

We did it, the girls giggled a lot, it was embarrassing. But I'm still here. And now I'm a bit older I'm less self conscious. Probably not the answer you want, but the point is everyone will feel self conscious. Someone will tease others. Then it's over.

Quick Reply

Latest