The Student Room Group

The hard integral thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farhan.Hanif93

Very nice. I tried to do this last night but never really worked with using power series in integrals, so that didn't occur to me and the standard techniques didn't really work.
Original post by Zacken

Yep, both of these are spot on. Nice solutions.
Original post by ThatPerson
Evaluate I=0π2arctan(cos2x) dxI= \displaystyle \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} \arctan{\left(\cos^2{x}\right)}\ \mathrm{d}x

Since a solution hasn't been posted yet, observe that arctan(cos2x)=cos2x0111+y2cos4xdy\arctan(\cos ^2x) = \cos^2x \displaystyle\int_0^1 \dfrac{1}{1+y^2\cos^4 x } dy so:
Unparseable latex formula:

\begin{array}{lcl}[br]I &=& \displaystyle\int_0^{\pi/2} \displaystyle\int_0^{1} \dfrac{\cos ^2x}{1+y^2\cos ^4x } dydx\\[br]\\[br]&=& \displaystyle\int_0^{1} \displaystyle\int_0^{\pi /2} \dfrac{\sec ^2x}{(1+\tan^2 x)^2 + y^2} dxdy \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \text{(Exchanging the order of integration)}\\[br]\\[br]&=&\displaystyle\int_0^{1} \displaystyle\int_0^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{(1+t^2)^2 + y^2} dtdy \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \text{(Note: } x^2+y^2 = (x+iy)(x-iy))\\ [br]\\ [br]&=&\displaystyle\int_0^{1} \dfrac{1}{2yi}\displaystyle\int_0^{\infty} \left[ \dfrac{1}{(\sqrt{1-iy})^2+t^2} - \dfrac{1}{(\sqrt{1+iy})^2 +t^2}\right] dtdy \\[br]\\[br]&=&\displaystyle\int_0^1 \dfrac{1}{2yi} \left[\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-iy}}\arctan\left( \dfrac{t}{\sqrt{1-iy}} \right) - \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+iy}} \arctan \left(\dfrac{t}{\sqrt{1+iy}} \right)\right]^{\infty}_0dy\\[br]\\[br]&=&\dfrac{\pi}{2} \displaystyle\int_0^1 \dfrac{1}{2yi} \left(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-iy}} - \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+iy}} \right) dy\\[br]\\[br]&=&\dfrac{\pi}{2} \left(\displaystyle\int_0^1 \dfrac{\mathrm{d}(\sqrt{1+iy})}{y} + \displaystyle\int_0^1 \dfrac{\mathrm{d}(\sqrt{1-iy})}{y}\right) \\ [br]\end{array}

\begin{array}{lclr} [br]\ \ &=& \dfrac{\pi}{2}\left( \displaystyle \int_1^{\sqrt{1+i}} \dfrac{idz}{z^2-1} - \displaystyle\int_1^{\sqrt{1-i}} \dfrac{idz}{z^2-1} \right) \\[br]\\[br]&=& \dfrac{\pi}{2} \displaystyle\int_{\sqrt{1-i}}^{\sqrt{1+i}} \dfrac{i}{2} \left(\dfrac{1}{z-1} - \dfrac{1}{z+1}\right)dz \\[br]\\[br]&=& \dfrac{\pi}{2} \cdot \dfrac{i}{2} \left[\log\dfrac{z-1}{z+1} \right]_{\bar{\alpha}}^{\alpha} & \text{(Where } \alpha=\sqrt{1+i}=2^{1/4}e^{i\pi /8}\text{)} \\ [br]\\[br]&=& \dfrac{\pi}{2} \cdot \dfrac{i}{2} \log \dfrac{(\alpha-1)(\overline{\alpha}+1)}{(\alpha+1)(\overline{\alpha}-1)}\\[br]\\[br]&=& \dfrac{\pi}{2} \cdot \dfrac{i}{2} \log \dfrac{1+\frac{|\alpha|^2-1}{\alpha - \overline{\alpha}}}{1-\frac{|\alpha|^2-1}{\alpha-\overline{\alpha}}}\\[br]\\[br]&=& \dfrac{\pi}{2} \cdot \dfrac{i}{2} \log \dfrac{1-i\frac{\sqrt 2 - 1}{2\mathrm{Im} \alpha}}{1+i\frac{\sqrt 2 -1}{2\mathrm{Im} \alpha}} [br]\end{array}

Also, observe that:

Imα=21/4sin(π/8)=2222=1212\mathrm{Im} \alpha = 2^{1/4} \sin (\pi/8) = \sqrt{\sqrt 2} \cdot \dfrac{\sqrt{2-\sqrt 2}}{2} =\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - \dfrac{1}{2}}     212Imα=1212Imα=1212 \iff \dfrac{\sqrt{2}-1}{2\mathrm{Im}\alpha} = \dfrac{\frac{1}{\sqrt 2} - \frac{1}{2}}{\mathrm{Im} \alpha} = \sqrt{\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - \dfrac{1}{2}}

Hence, using the identity arctan(z)=i2log1iz1+iz\arctan(z)=\dfrac{i}{2}\log \dfrac{1-iz}{1+iz}, it follows that:

0π/2arctan(cos2x)dx=π2arctan1212\boxed{\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi/2} \arctan(\cos ^2 x) dx = \dfrac{\pi}{2} \arctan \sqrt{\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - \dfrac{1}{2}}}

[Please tell me there is a better way...]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Using IBP with u=xu=x and dv=tanh(αx)sech(αx)\mathrm{d}v = \text{tanh}(\alpha x)\text{sech} (\alpha x) we get:

Nice problem, though. Thanks.

OK. That turned out to be a lot easier than I had anticipated. I got to it by showing that 0sech αx dx=π2α\int_0^\infty \text{sech } \alpha x \ dx = \frac{\pi}{2\alpha}, and then applying a little light DUTIS to both sides. I didn't notice the easy application of IBP to solve it, I must say.

I do notice, however, that a couple of my earlier problems are still unsolved, to wit:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=62139773&postcount=779
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=62255567&postcount=828
IIRC I attempted to differentiate w.r.t. rr, consider a difference for two different values of rr and manipulated the integral itself to no avail [bar practically doing the integral, which defeats the purpose a little]. Haven't tried again since, however.

From the POV of view of complex methods, it is "obvious" that the integral can't depend upon rr, since the value of the integral of a holomorphic function at a point depends only on its values on any closed contour around the point - so the circular contour can be as big as we like. However, that doesn't give me much insight into why the real integral should not depend upon rr - I'd like a non-complex explanation for that, though maybe one doesn't exist, of course.

And, my apologies! I must have missed the quote. There wasn't anything too special/neat - I was just curious about how deep these conditions would stretch (and 'not very far' seems to be the answer).

Well, what are the conditions?
Original post by atsruser
OK. That turned out to be a lot easier than I had anticipated. I got to it by showing that 0sech αx dx=π2α\int_0^\infty \text{sech } \alpha x \ dx = \frac{\pi}{2\alpha}, and then applying a little light DUTIS to both sides. I didn't notice the easy application of IBP to solve it, I must say.

I see, I did think of trying DUTIS but then stopped myself when I recognised that sechtanh\text{sech} \, \text{tanh} was a derivative of a hyperbolic trig function.

Your other two problems look hard. :lol:
I like this one; show that:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\int_0^{\infty} \sin x \arctan \left(\frac{1}{x}\right) \, \mathrm{d}x = \frac{\pi}{2}\left(1-\frac{1}{e}\right)\end{equation*}

Original post by Zacken
I see, I did think of trying DUTIS but then stopped myself when I recognised that sechtanh\text{sech} \, \text{tanh} was a derivative of a hyperbolic trig function.

Your other two problems look hard. :lol:

Well, perhaps they will go some little way to make up for the embarrassingly easy question that I just posted, which has brought shame upon my family name, and for which my forefathers will never forgive me.

One of the two is quite complex, I seem to recall.
Let I=0lnxx2+2x+2 dx \displaystyle I = \int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{\ln x}{x^2 + 2x + 2}\ \mathrm{d}x . Then

I=x=u11ln(u1)u2+1du=u=tanθπ4π2ln(tanθ1)dθ\displaystyle I \stackrel{x=u-1}{=} \int^{\infty}_{1} \frac{\ln \left(u-1\right)}{u^2 + 1} \mathrm{d}u \stackrel{u=\tan\theta}{=} \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{\frac{\pi}{4}} \ln \left(\tan\theta - 1\right) \mathrm{d} \theta

Now substitute θ3π4θ \theta \mapsto \frac{3\pi}{4} - \theta . Notice that tan(3π4θ)1=tan(π4+θ)1=2tanθ1 \displaystyle \tan\left( \frac{3\pi}{4} - \theta \right)-1 = -\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{4}+\theta \right) - 1 = \frac{2}{\tan\theta - 1} .

Hence I=ln2(π2π4)II=π8ln2  \displaystyle I = \ln 2 \left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{\pi}{4}\right) - I \Rightarrow I = \frac{\pi}{8}\ln 2 \ \square

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\int_0^{\infty} \sin x \arctan \left(\frac{1}{x}\right) \, \mathrm{d}x = \frac{\pi}{2}\left(1-\frac{1}{e}\right)\end{equation*}

Have f(q)=0sinxarctanqx1dxf(q)=\displaystyle\int_0^{\infty} \sin x \arctan q x^{-1}\, \mathrm{d}x. By parts twice: f(q)=π2+f(q)f(q)=\frac{\pi}{2}+f''(q).

The solution to the diff. eq. is f(q)=π2+αeq+βeqf(q)=\frac{\pi}{2}+\alpha e^{-q}+\beta e^q . Applying f(0)=0f(0)=0 and f(0)=π2f'(0)=\frac{\pi}{2} (classic sinc integral) you get the result.
Original post by Lord of the Flies
You get the result.

Splendid! I've never thought about thinking of them as differential equations before. I used DUTIS in the first place, had an integral where I needed to apply DUTIS to in order to evaluate it before continuing with the usual stuff, much messier than this. (also makes the seemingly random appearance of ee more understandable).
[Please tell me there is a better way...]

Hehe, there is indeed an easier route. I should say that this solution isn't due to me - I saw it on Stackexchange, though I can't find the original post at the moment.

Picking up from where Zacken left off: We have f(α)=01t4+2t2+α2+1dt \displaystyle f'(\alpha)=\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{1}{t^4+2t^2+\alpha^{2}+1} \mathrm{d}t . Now substitute tα2+1t t \mapsto \frac{\sqrt{\alpha^{2}+1}}{t} so f(α)=1α2+10t2t4+2t2+α2+1dt \displaystyle f'(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\alpha^{2}+1}} \int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{t^2}{t^4+2t^2+\alpha^{2}+1} \mathrm{d}t .

Thus by adding the integrals together f(α)=12α2+101+α2+t2t4+2t2+α2+1dt \displaystyle f'(\alpha) = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\alpha^{2}+1}} \int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{\sqrt{1+\alpha^{2}} + t^2}{t^4+2t^2+\alpha^{2}+1} \mathrm{d}t

We can rewrite the integral as

\displaystyle \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\alpha^{2}+1}} \int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{\frac{\sqrt{\alpha^{2}+1}}{t^2} + 1}{\left(t-\frac{\sqrt{\alpha^{2}+1}}{t}} \right)^{2} + 2(1+\sqrt{\alpha^{2}+1})}

Let y=tα2+1t y = t - \frac{\sqrt{\alpha^{2}+1}}{t} which results in an arctan \arctan integral. We get f(α)=π2211+α21+1+α2 \displaystyle f'(\alpha) = \frac{\pi}{2\sqrt{2}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\alpha^{2}} \sqrt{1+\sqrt{1+\alpha^{2}}}}
Recovering f(α)f(\alpha) is simple.

On another note, I always get an error when I try to use align in LaTeX; can someone give me a quick example on how to use it?
(edited 7 years ago)
On another note, I always get an error when I try to use align in LaTeX; can someone give me a quick example on how to use it?

I'd never have thought of that. Nice solution though. TSR is a bit quirky in the way you use align, you need to indent it in a specific way, like so:

[noparse]
Code block here:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{align*} a &= b \\ & = c \\ & = d \end{align*}

[/noparse]

to produce:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*} a & =b \\ & = c \\ & = d\end{align*}

Note that the \displaystyle needs to be on the same line as the tex tag and the \begin{align*} needs to be in the line below \displaystyle. There shouldn't be a new line before \end{align} either and (I think) the close tex tag needs to be just after the \end{align*}.
Original post by Zacken

I see; thanks for the example.
Evaluate:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\int_0^{\frac{ \pi}{2}} \ln (\alpha^2 \cos^2 x + \sin^2 x) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{equation*}

Original post by Zacken
Evaluate:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\int_0^{\frac{ \pi}{2}} \ln (\alpha^2 \cos^2 x + \sin^2 x) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{equation*}

This was a rush job but is it

Spoiler

This was a rush job but is it

Spoiler

Yep!
Original post by Zacken
Evaluate:

Spoiler

Spot on!

I did the J integral part like this:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*}f'(\alpha) &= 2\alpha \int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\alpha^2 + \tan^2 x } \\ & = 2\alpha \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{\sec^2 x - \tan^2 x}{\alpha^2 + \tan^2 x} \, \mathrm{d}x \\ & = 2\alpha\bigg[\frac{1}{\alpha} \cdot \arctan \frac{x}{\alpha}\bigg]_0^{\infty} - 2\alpha \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{\tan^2 x}{\alpha^2 + \tan^2 x} \, \mathrm{d}x \\& = \pi - 2\alpha \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{\alpha^2 + \tan^2 x - \alpha^2}{\alpha^2 + \tan^2 x} \, \mathrm{d}x \\& = \pi - 2\alpha \cdot \frac{\pi}{2} + 2\alpha \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{\alpha^2}{\alpha^2 + \tan^2 x} \, \mathrm{d}x \end{align*}

That is:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*}f'(\alpha) &= \pi - \alpha \pi + \alpha^2 f'(\alpha) \\ \Rightarrow f'(\alpha) (1-\alpha^2) &= \pi(1-\alpha) \\ \Rightarrow f'(\alpha) &= \frac{\pi}{1+\alpha} \end{align*}

(edited 7 years ago)
I tried the J integral(can't actually do the real rpoblem but J looked more my type.
I conjured this
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1467407836.459020.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest