Thanks for correcting. I feel really thick now though! :colondollar:

Actually I tried part i:
I'm not sure, is it sufficient?

Spoiler

Original post by Dog4444
Actually I tried part i:

Spoiler

Apart from your last line, yes. Why do you care if k is around 2?

(There isn't a huge amount to this question, and it probably ranks amongst the easiest STEP questions ever.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1323
Original post by Dog4444
Actually I tried part i:

Spoiler

You could sketch the graph of (x+1)^(k-1) in the cases when k=-1,0,1 and show by shading the region between 0 and 1 in each case that in the cases when k=-1,1 the area under the curve is approximately the same as in the case of k=0. Hence the areas are approximately equal when k is approximately 0. I doubt they'll require more than a sketch proof.
Original post by shamika
Apart from your last line, yes. Read the last part of (i) again.

(There isn't a huge amount to this question, and it probably ranks amongst the easiest STEP questions ever.)

Misspelled it.

Spoiler

Is it ok? It sounds too vague for me.

And part ii

Spoiler

Not sure what to do from here, if m is zero than it's obviously 0.5.
EDIT: something wrong with Latex.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dog4444
Misspelled it.

Spoiler

And part ii

Spoiler

btw whats with the name dog when your avatar is of a bird.......CONTRADICTION DWARG!
Reply 1326
Original post by Dog4444
Misspelled it.

Spoiler

And part ii

Spoiler

The second term is partially wrong, because I think you accidentally took (x+1) to be (x+2), it should be 2^(m+2) instead of 3^(m+2) and 1^(m+2)=1 instead of 2^(m+2).
Original post by Dog4444
Misspelled it.

Spoiler

And part ii

Spoiler

You need to be careful of the cases where the exponent of any linear term is -1.

Parts and substitution is a very hammer-fisted approach. I would observe that x(x+1)m=(x+1)m+1(x+1)mx(x+1)^m = (x+1)^{m+1} - (x+1)^m.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aurum
The second term is partially wrong, because I think you accidentally took (x+1) to be (x+2), it should be 2^(m+2) instead of 3^(m+2) and 1^(m+2)=1 instead of 2^(m+2).

I might be wrong, I do these questions in Paint. :facepalm2:.
But, how did you integrate
Unparseable latex formula:

[br]\int_0^1 \! \frac{(x+1)^{m+1}}{m+1} \[br]

?
If you substitute u=x+1, your boundaries become 2 and 1. Or I'm wrong?

Original post by Rahul.S
btw whats with the name dog when your avatar is of a bird.......CONTRADICTION DWARG!

Well... you're not cannabis00 as well. :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1329
Original post by Dog4444
I might be wrong, I do these questions in Paint. :facepalm2:.
But, how did you integrate
Unparseable latex formula:

[br]\int_0^1 \! \frac{(x+1)^{m+1}}{m+1} \[br]

?
If you substitute u=x+1, your boundaries become 2 and 1. Or I'm wrong?

When you used the substiution u=x+1 you forgot to replace x+1 by u in the integrand.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dog4444

:lol:

might have to make a new account :colone:
Reply 1331
Original post by Dog4444
Misspelled it.

Spoiler

And part ii

Spoiler

There's one more error, in your first term it should be just 2^(m+1) not 2^(m+1)-1, since when you plug 0 (the lower limit) x[(x+1)^(m+1)]/(m+1) becomes 0.

Also you can use parts if you want, but like Farhan said you need to realise that it won't be integrated in the same way when m=-1, since with 1/(x+1) the standard way of integrating (ax+b)^m doesn't work when m=-1.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
You need to be careful of the cases where the exponent of any linear term is -1.

Parts and substitution is a very hammer-fisted approach. I would observe that x(x+1)m=(x+1)m+1(x+1)mx(x+1)^m = (x+1)^{m+1} - (x+1)^m.

That's the easiest way sure, but I bet in exam conditions most people go with an integration by parts (or a substitution), simply because they require less 'thinking'.

@Aurum: you'll need to be careful if m=-2 as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aurum
When you used the substiution u=x+1 you forgot to replace x+1 by u in the integrand.

[br]01 ⁣(x+1)m+1m+1=1m+1.12 ⁣um+1[br]\int_0^1 \! \frac{(x+1)^{m+1}}{m+1} = \frac{1}{m+1} . \int_1^2 \! {u^{m+1}}
And you get:
[br][br](x+1)m+2(m+2)(m+1)[br][br]\displaystyle[br]\frac{(x+1)^{m+2}} {(m+2)(m+1)}[br]
:confused:

And what's wrong with Latex?
Reply 1334
Original post by shamika
That's the easiest way sure, but I bet in exam conditions most people go with an integration by parts (or a substitution), simply because they require less 'thinking'.

@Aurum: you'll need to be careful if m=-2 as well.

Thanks for pointing that out, I overlooked the second integral after integrating by parts.
Reply 1335
Original post by Dog4444
[br]01 ⁣(x+1)m+1m+1=1m+1.12 ⁣um+1[br]\int_0^1 \! \frac{(x+1)^{m+1}}{m+1} = \frac{1}{m+1} . \int_1^2 \! {u^{m+1}}
And you get:
[br][br](x+1)m+2(m+2)(m+1)[br][br]\displaystyle[br]\frac{(x+1)^{m+2}} {(m+2)(m+1)}[br]

If you want to change u back to x+1 after you've integrated, you'll have to change the limits too. You can use 1 and 2 with u or you can use 0 and 1 with x+1.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93

Are we able to integrate it, but not to consider m=-1, or we can't integrate it like that at all, because the denominator might be zero?
Reply 1337
Original post by Dog4444
Are we able to integrate it, but not to consider m=-1, or we can't integrate it like that at all, because the denominator might be zero?

The question asks to evaluate the integral for all values of m. You can integrate it in the case both m=-1 and m=-2 but you can't use the same reduction formula you derived, since it is not valid in the cases when m=-1 and m=-2. You will have to integrate it separately like as a separate integral altogether. The integration of x/x+1 and x/[(x+1)^2] correspond to the cases -1 and -2.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dog4444

You integrate for m≠-1 (and m≠-2, as it turns out) first and then go back and examine the other cases that you've excluded in this initial integration.
Original post by Dog4444
And you get:

Use the \displaystyle before the line(write it in front of the line), then the LaTeX will work fine.

(x+1)m+2(m+2)(m+1) \displaystyle \frac{(x+1)^{m+2}} {(m+2)(m+1)}

See my code for the above expression to see where you went wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending