The Student Room Group

Bristol Medicine Applicants 2012

I can't seem to find a Bristol thread anywhere, which I was surprised about due to the large number of applicants :tongue:, so thought I'd make one!

Anyone else thinking of applying? Or has anyone got any info that could help us, with the ambiguous entry requirements?

Good luck everyone :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm thinking of applying, although i have a decent UKCAT so thats making me a bit unsure whether i may be making a mistake, what are you're grades/experience like?
Reply 2
Original post by a1994
I'm thinking of applying, although i have a decent UKCAT so thats making me a bit unsure whether i may be making a mistake, what are you're grades/experience like?

I just got an average UKCAT, so thought I would give Bristol a shot. :smile: I have 8A* 2 A's at GCSE, 4A's at AS and hospital and general practise experience, and in a nursing home. You?
Reply 3
I got 664, so i think thats a bit above average, but not amazing...
I have 5A*'s and 7A's at GCSE
2A's 2B's at AS (3 UMS killed me in chem, and physics ISA was awful)
Lots of hospital, about 4 weeks, 1 week GP, some in India, weekly experience in a hospice since feb
Reply 4
Original post by a1994
I got 664, so i think thats a bit above average, but not amazing...
I have 5A*'s and 7A's at GCSE
2A's 2B's at AS (3 UMS killed me in chem, and physics ISA was awful)
Lots of hospital, about 4 weeks, 1 week GP, some in India, weekly experience in a hospice since feb

Yeah my UKCAT was very similar to yours. :tongue: I don't really know what Bristol are looking for? I assume a lot is in the PS as they don't look at UKCAT..
Reply 5
Original post by liviaaa
Yeah my UKCAT was very similar to yours. :tongue: I don't really know what Bristol are looking for? I assume a lot is in the PS as they don't look at UKCAT..

Yeah, i like the fact that they interview so many--but just weighing up all my other options atm i guess, it seems like it could be one, just a bit risky!
Reply 6
Original post by a1994
Yeah, i like the fact that they interview so many--but just weighing up all my other options atm i guess, it seems like it could be one, just a bit risky!

Really? What proportion do they interview?
Reply 7
Original post by liviaaa
Really? What proportion do they interview?

Reply 8
Original post by a1994

According to their website, it's only 20% of applicants - so not loads. http://www.bris.ac.uk/medical-school/prospective-students/faqs/#tests
Reply 9
yeah-they get 3800 applications...
Reply 10
Original post by a1994
yeah-they get 3800 applications...

Yuuup so competitive!
Reply 11
Not much more than other medical schools---only a bit because of not using the UKCAT, but really...most applicants don't fit the requirements so end up rejected at the initial stage from what some uni's seem to say...and i don't see why the same would not apply to bristol
Reply 12
I think Bristol has one of the higher number of applications compared to places? It would make sense because of not using the UKCAT and their website says you only need AAB...
I think I'll be applying there, unless my UKCAT goes amazingly well :L

Don't they say AAA or A*AB?
3800 applications?! :confused:

Well it's on my list :smile:
Bristol confuses me!! What do they want? They only consider up to 8 GCSEs and don't look at entrance tests and AS Levels. I'm not applying because there's just too much mystery!
Reply 16
I am applying to Bristol. I already have my A level grade though which is A*AB. I like that they do not use UKCAT....:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by liviaaa
I think Bristol has one of the higher number of applications compared to places? It would make sense because of not using the UKCAT and their website says you only need AAB...

Yes, it does say AAB in the website but AAA-A*AB in the prospectus.....soooo confused!!!
Reply 18
How do Bristol possibly decide on who to invite to interview?
Are they a medical school which scores your GCSE's, predicted grades, ps and reference seperately, then interview the top 800? :confused::confused:
Reply 19
Original post by liviaaa
I can't seem to find a Bristol thread anywhere, which I was surprised about due to the large number of applicants :tongue:, so thought I'd make one!

Anyone else thinking of applying? Or has anyone got any info that could help us, with the ambiguous entry requirements?

Good luck everyone :smile:

I know an admissions tutor :ninja:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending