The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

UoR: FAQ's / Information / Ask a student thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fadster123
Thanks again for the reply Emma :smile:. I have another thing to ask about. I am applying for the uni with an agency and my advisor there has the task to send my application for the accomodation. For about 2 weeks she has been trying to send my application but the system of the uni seems to have some problems. Do you know if it will be fixed soon because i am afraid i will not be able to get a room in wessex hall? Also i was wondering when does the spring break for students in the UK start and finish?

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about this issue, I suggest emailing [email protected] as they are best placed to help sort out the problem. For the spring break it is normally focused around when Easter is. So for the Easter (Spring) Break 2017 term ends on the 24th March and the summer term begins on the 17th April. So you have just over 3 weeks in between those dates.

Hope this helps
Emma :smile:
2nd Year Human and Physical Geographer
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Hi again, I wanted to ask how many rooms for accomodation are left in St George's Hall and Wessex Hall? From the agency i used to apply to the uni of Reading i was told that all the rooms in Wessex Hall have been taken and if that is true St George's Hall will be my last resort since i cannot afford any of the other rooms except the ones in St George and Wessex and that will for sure prevent me from studying in Reading :frown: :frown:
Hi again, I wanted to ask how many rooms for accomodation are left in St George's Hall and Wessex Hall? From the agency i used to apply to the uni of Reading i was told that all the rooms in Wessex Hall have been taken and if that is true St George's Hall will be my last resort since i cannot afford any of the other rooms except the ones in St George and Wessex and that will for sure prevent me from studying in Reading . Also I have another important question: Are the rooms in Wessex Hall reserved for postgraduates
Hi again, I wanted to ask how many rooms for accomodation are left in St George's Hall and Wessex Hall? From the agency i used to apply to the uni of Reading i was told that all the rooms in Wessex Hall have been taken and if that is true St George's Hall will be my last resort since i cannot afford any of the other rooms except the ones in St George and Wessex and that will for sure prevent me from studying in Reading . Also I have another important question: Are the rooms in Wessex Hall reserved for postgraduates? I am terribly sorry for posting this for the 3rt time but the matter is urgent. Can someone please answer my questions?
Hi again, I wanted to ask how many rooms for accomodation are left in St George's Hall and Wessex Hall? From the agency i used to apply to the uni of Reading i was told that all the rooms in Wessex Hall have been taken and if that is true St George's Hall will be my last resort since i cannot afford any of the other rooms except the ones in St George and Wessex and that will for sure prevent me from studying in Reading . Also I have another important question: Are the rooms in Wessex Hall reserved for postgraduates? I am terribly sorry for posting this for the 3rt time but the matter is urgent. Can someone please answer my questions?

Hi,

I'm really sorry but as I don't work directly with the accommodation team, I suggest getting in contact with them, here is the email [email protected] and here is the number +44 (0)118 378 4203. I would love to be able to be more helpful but the accommodation team are best placed to help you.

Sorry again.

2nd Year Human and Physical Geographer
Hello Everyone. My name is Fadi Badrahan and I am from Bulgaria. I have accepted a conditonal offer for International Management and business with Spanish. I have already met the conditions and i am just waiting my diploma to be legalized and sent to the university. I want to know how are the results of the referendum going to affect my 4 years of study. From my back up choice uni (Northumbria) i got an e-mail in which they said that the referendum will not affect my study for the first 2 years. Will I be able to finish my course in Reading because i am solely relying on the Student Finance organization for the tuition fees :frown:
Hello Everyone. My name is Fadi Badrahan and I am from Bulgaria. I have accepted a conditonal offer for International Management and business with Spanish. I have already met the conditions and i am just waiting my diploma to be legalized and sent to the university. I want to know how are the results of the referendum going to affect my 4 years of study. From my back up choice uni (Northumbria) i got an e-mail in which they said that the referendum will not affect my study for the first 2 years. Will I be able to finish my course in Reading because i am solely relying on the Student Finance organization for the tuition fees :frown:

Hi Fadi,

Its understandable to be concerned, at present the Vice Chancellor of the University said it is business as usual and has released an open letter, this section below is the most relevant to you...

"Existing EU students, offer-holders for 2016/17 and prospects for 2017/18: at this point, there is no change to their immigration status; access to student loans for tuition fees; and contractual terms and conditions. The University will continue to market itself and recruit as normal from EU member states and internationally for 2016/17 onwards. The priority for the sector in the negotiations will be protecting freedom of movement for EU students."

Hope this helps and reassures you, you can read the whole letter here https://www.reading.ac.uk/news-and-events/releases/PR680908.aspx

Any more questions feel free to ask..
2nd year Human and Physical Geography
Hey there,

I'm not a student of Reading University (Uni of Sheffield, in fact) but I'll be doing a year long placement nearby. At our uni we have something that's known as an associate membership, where anyone can go to the union and events after signing a form and paying a small fee.

Is there anything similar to this at the University of Reading? It'd be great if I could get to explore what this uni has to offer, despite being from another uni. I'm just trying to hold on to the student lifestyle tbh!
Original post by fidgetingmidget
Hey there,

I'm not a student of Reading University (Uni of Sheffield, in fact) but I'll be doing a year long placement nearby. At our uni we have something that's known as an associate membership, where anyone can go to the union and events after signing a form and paying a small fee.

Is there anything similar to this at the University of Reading? It'd be great if I could get to explore what this uni has to offer, despite being from another uni. I'm just trying to hold on to the student lifestyle tbh!

Hi There,

Our Student Union ("RUSU") does have Associate Memberships available; application needs to be made to the Chair of the Trustee Board. The Bye-laws state Associate Membership can be granted to 'Full Members of other University and College Unions with which there is a reciprocal agreement' I would encourage you to email RUSU directly at [email protected]

Best of luck with your industrial placement this coming academic year :smile:

Mark
2nd Year Accounting and Management
Hello, can you let me know how many bathrooms are there in the St George's appartments and with how many people will I be sharing them. Also can you tell me how can I get on the train or bus to Reading from Heathrow airport. Thanks in advance!
Hello, can you let me know how many bathrooms are there in the St George's appartments and with how many people will I be sharing them. Also can you tell me how can I get on the train or bus to Reading from Heathrow airport. Thanks in advance!

Hi Fadster,
It can vary from sharing with 2 to a maximum of 4 people.

The best way to get to Reading from Heathrow is via Coach. Please visit www.railair.com to get prices and a timetable :smile:

I hope this helps and please feel free to get in touch if you have any more questions.

Mark
Hi! I'm a student from Italy and I've got Reading as my firm for English Literature and Classical Studies. They asked for me to acquire 83% at my finals, but I failed it big and obtained a pitiful 71%; so now not only am I afraid they're not going to take me in, but I also have no idea how to communicate them my results: should I better call them, email them the scan of my exam's certificate or upload it through UCAS? And should I explain the reasons why I think I failed so miserably or should I let them decide what to do without annoying them with my tearful explanations?

Sincerely,

Maria
Original post by Mariajbl
Hi! I'm a student from Italy and I've got Reading as my firm for English Literature and Classical Studies. They asked for me to acquire 83% at my finals, but I failed it big and obtained a pitiful 71%; so now not only am I afraid they're not going to take me in, but I also have no idea how to communicate them my results: should I better call them, email them the scan of my exam's certificate or upload it through UCAS? And should I explain the reasons why I think I failed so miserably or should I let them decide what to do without annoying them with my tearful explanations?

Sincerely,

Maria

Dear Maria,
Please scan and email your results to [email protected] for them to evaluate your results. The University will assess your application not just by your academic results, but also by your Personal statement and references.

I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Mark
Hey, so I've put reading as my insurance for psychology but I feel it's more likely I'll be going here than my firm. I know you can't apply for accomodation unless it's your firm, but I'm just looking so I have an idea if I do need to apply.
Has anyone got any advice, like whether they feel self-catered or catered is better? And which halls are the most sociable/lively? Thank you xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Might sound like a stupid question but I can't it anywhere on the site. When is undergraduate exam period for autumn modules? From my research it seems as if all the exams of the whole year are taken in one period, in april? If this is true it comes as quite a surprise to me. In Belgium there is one examination period after each semester (january & june) and a resit period late august till the beginning of september.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by noobsoup
Might sound like a stupid question but I can't it anywhere on the site. When is undergraduate exam period for autumn modules? From my research it seems as if all the exams of the whole year are taken in one period, in april? If this is true it comes as quite a surprise to me. In Belgium there is one examination period after each semester (january & june) and a resit period late august till the beginning of september.

Hi,

Can I ask are you a current student at the university? If so I would recommend speaking to your module convenors regarding your assessments.

At the University of Reading there’s an exam period in the Summer term which is around April time. This term is where lectures are mostly revision sessions and exams take place through out the term. However, every course is different and most will not assess you just at the exam term. Assessments can take place in many forms and throughout the year. For example I had several exams and assessments last year but none of them we’re during the exam term. Some were during the start of Spring term to test my knowledge from the Autumn term.

It really does depend on the course and how they assess their modules. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Ellen 😊
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapist and Student Ambassador
Hey, this is a random question but are the Uni of Reading buses to town First buses or independent? I'll probably be using the buses a lot if I go to Reading so was wondering if there are any ways to save money with the buses e.g. a weekly/monthly pass?
Original post by EBurlton
Hey, this is a random question but are the Uni of Reading buses to town First buses or independent? I'll probably be using the buses a lot if I go to Reading so was wondering if there are any ways to save money with the buses e.g. a weekly/monthly pass?

Hi there,

Thanks for your question, it’s great to hear that you are thinking of studying at Reading!

In and around Reading, there is the Reading Buses service. There are many options in terms of prices but for students, you are able to buy a Boost ticket. These tickets are for under 16s as well as students! The price for a single is £1.50 and the price for a day ticket is £2.70.

With a day ticket, you are able to use the ticket on any of the differing Reading Bus routes in and around Reading. You can change buses and travel as much as you like from 4am until the same time the following day.

You can also purchase boost weekly tickets as well for a discounted price. Have a look on their website for all of the options that are available.

Additionally, the University of Reading is around a 20-45 minute walk into town depending on where you are on campus. The town is very close to the campus which is beneficial for shopping trips etc and even better for your budget!

I hope that this is helpful but if you would like to know anything else about the university, please ask 😊

Ella
3rd year Primary Education with English Literature student and student ambassador
Hey! I am a current first year Ethics, Value and Philosophy student at Reading! Before Corona cut it short I was living in Wessex (the best halls :smile:). I am also a disabled student, so if theres anything I can answer for anyone about Reading, I will sure try!
Original post by kreeves2001
Hey! I am a current first year Ethics, Value and Philosophy student at Reading! Before Corona cut it short I was living in Wessex (the best halls :smile:). I am also a disabled student, so if theres anything I can answer for anyone about Reading, I will sure try!

hey, is it true that the way you're assessed is that every year you have an exam in may/June on everything you have t learnt that whole year, like in alevels?
thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending