The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Original post by Natalie21
Hey :biggrin: How is everyone?

Not too bad, wbu? :smile:
Original post by Mocking_bird
Yep yep! I finally decided on Medicine after getting the Jan results back, I made a promise to myself I would definitely go for it if I did well in them :tongue:

Yaaaay, that's great :smile: More medics to one day rule the world >:biggrin:

Oo questions for anyone who has done any volunteering in a care home:
I know it will depend on the place but..
How many hours did you when you went/how many days a week?
What kind of things did you do?
:smile:

It's not really a care home in terms of an old age one, it's more working with adults with learning disabilities in a care centre knda thing, but similar principle. been doing 2 hours a week since september I think?

It's actually pretty fun, I help out in the arts and crafts class, so we do potter+mosaics and stuff and you just talk to them+help them make what they want. Some of the stuff you get to make is actually pretty cool, they give you actual clay and they have one of those pottery wheels :smile: then after, they have a tea break where you just help the people in wheelchairs and stuff get around, make sure they have all their meds and stuff :smile:
On a side note, I only just found out that my hospital badge opens doors -_-'

I've been standing around waiting for people on the other side to pass by and see me for the last 6 months D:

/stupid
Original post by Boom533

I've been standing around waiting for people on the other side to pass by and see me for the last 6 months D:

/stupid

Reply 1684
Original post by oli_G
I don't think it's a disadvantage. They just have no preference whether someone does a science a level (other than the two obligatory) or an arts. Remember they area BMAT uni, so obviously think scientific ability is very important.

yes, that's true. But it's said explicitly that they prefer a contrasting subject, so it probably depends on the weighting that has. Like atomic man said, when he asked ucl admissions during the nugsc, they said they only use the contrasting subject preference to separate candidates with similar application strengths. There are plenty ucl medics who did only sciences.

Some preference will be given to applicants who offer a contrasting subject at AS/A-level. In this context a contrasting subject is one outside the traditional science subjects of Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. For
example: English Literature, History, Geography, Art, Music, Religious Studies, Design and Technology, a foreign language etc.
Original post by oli_G
Not too bad, wbu? :smile:

Good to hear :biggrin:

I'm good thank you :biggrin:
Getting slightly stressed - it appears on the "No Discussion" thread that not only that only re-applicants, international applicants, or graduate entry applicants with the same grades as me get into medschool. **** my ass.
Original post by Boom533

/stupid

Ah, my hospital have a much better system, set all the door codes to one thing on all the wards, nothing can go wrong.
Original post by Orinincandenza
Ah, my hospital have a much better system, set all the door codes to one thing on all the wards, nothing can go wrong.

Until management decide it is time for the annual code change and three weeks of annoyance then ensue :tongue:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

Don't judge D:
Original post by Boom533
Yaaaay, that's great :smile: More medics to one day rule the world >:biggrin:

It's not really a care home in terms of an old age one, it's more working with adults with learning disabilities in a care centre knda thing, but similar principle. been doing 2 hours a week since september I think?

It's actually pretty fun, I help out in the arts and crafts class, so we do potter+mosaics and stuff and you just talk to them+help them make what they want. Some of the stuff you get to make is actually pretty cool, they give you actual clay and they have one of those pottery wheels :smile: then after, they have a tea break where you just help the people in wheelchairs and stuff get around, make sure they have all their meds and stuff :smile:

Original post by chiny94
Hi, urm I had 2 week work experience placement at a local care home (which I still nowadays visits frequently - just like the people there :P). I did 9am till 4pm, 5 days a week for 2 weeks and I helped with pretty much everything except for direct contact with the most ill residents and giving out medication obviously: maneuvering the wheelchairs, transporting residents from their room to somewhere else vice versa. I helped with watering the plants, extra activities with the residents, talking to them, organising sherry mornings, made collages for/with them, outdoor activities - tea/biscuit picnic... etcetc thus there are lots of things to do for students like us in a care home! i also did a little concert for them since i can play piano and flute and they really liked it which made me happy :tongue:

Ahh they both sound so good! I can't wait to get my place sorted, I have to wait for the CRB check though which is gonna take a good few weeks :frown:

But good news, I have the interview for volunteering in the hospital on Thursday.
I think its only doing tea and coffee trolleys/shop but at least its in the hospital environment and might lead to getting some other stuff.

We're getting close to me getting my first voluntary place, yay! :smile:
Original post by chiny94

That is pretty ridiculous! Oohhh I see well I take bio (OCR), chem (OCR), maths (AQA) and psychology (EDEXCEL) woo! Quite similar actually :biggrin: So we must have same biology exam in may! Is yours on the 14th May?

The Oxford lady for our school told us everything that I already knew, except the fact that Oxford doesn't call it the pool system but reallocation haha I obviously have done my bit of research into competitive universities :tongue: and Cambridge one shoud be interesting!!! It's concert for flute quintet that I'm in :smile: music is a huge part of my life since I've been doing it ever since I was like 4 haha do you know any extra curricular activities?

Yeah that is similar :biggrin: I wanted to take psychology actually, but my school didn't offer it so I took sociology instead :L it is yeah! not looking forward to that seeing how the unit one in jan went for everyone... :/

Really? I didn't know that either! :O Learn something new every day :smile: oooh good luck! :biggrin: what else do you do? do you play anything else as well as flute? Ummmm I do like some youth council stuff, and weekly volunteering at a hospital, and I'm a tutor :smile: nothing too interesting tbh :L I do wish I still played an instrument though- so regret giving up!
Ahh they both sound so good! I can't wait to get my place sorted, I have to wait for the CRB check though which is gonna take a good few weeks :frown:

But good news, I have the interview for volunteering in the hospital on Thursday.
I think its only doing tea and coffee trolleys/shop but at least its in the hospital environment and might lead to getting some other stuff.

Yay :smile: You'll enjoy it, especially the patients, they make it fun when it becomes to boring.

Also, at volunteering at saturday, everyone time I walked by this old lady, she always held my hand and told me that she doesnt want to die alone and asked me not to leave, in a very sorrow manner, and this really affected me and I didnt really know how to respond.

It made me think about how the elderly are sometimes treated. It feels like they are sometimes ignored by their families, as some rarely ever visit, and that sometimes the staff come across as very insincere when dealing with the residents. Could this be because they dont want to get too attached and suffer when they inevitably pass away? Or are they just mean? Just thoughts. Anyone else have similar experience

It made me hope that when I grow old, my family dont abandon me in a nursing home to die.
Does anyone else find it incredibly hard to find something to do when volunteering at a care home? Its so difficult to talk to the residents, i try hard to engage them, but they never seem very responsive :frown:
Reply 1694
I've already got enough marks for the equivalent of a C grade in AS Chemistry without having taken the last exam :smile: Feels good. :cool:
Original post by AtomicMan
It made me think about how the elderly are sometimes treated. It feels like they are sometimes ignored by their families, as some rarely ever visit, and that sometimes the staff come across as very insincere when dealing with the residents. Could this be because they dont want to get too attached and suffer when they inevitably pass away? Or are they just mean? Just thoughts. Anyone else have similar experience. It made me hope that when I grow old, my family dont abandon me in a nursing home to die.

Getting old can be awful - depression, losing control of continence, losing mobility, losing a sense of place, just loss loss loss. But it can be enjoyable and fulfilling for others. Even those who are forced by circumstances into a nursing home can enjoy it, and many do. W/r/t families of the elderly it's very difficult to judge, are they aware, are they able to visit, do they even want to. We generally have this idea of a family bond and responsibilities that go with that, but some families simply don't like each other, simple.

Original post by IAmMclovin
Does anyone else find it incredibly hard to find something to do when volunteering at a care home? Its so difficult to talk to the residents, i try hard to engage them, but they never seem very responsive :frown:

That sounds very difficult, have you tried relating it to their circumstances or background, that can help. Or perhaps something practical like a board game.

This is what i like about hospital volunteering, a real mix of old and young and with it and not with it.
Could anyone enlighten me on what the following universities base their interview selection on? :smile: (I know its probably been asked alot of times before but it takes me ages to trawl through the posts :colondollar:)
Newcastle (Invite everyone above a certain UKCAT score?)
Liverpool (GCSE scoring and then PS?)
Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Keele and Nottingham.

As you can tell i'm hoping to stay North-ish hahah.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1697
Could anyone enlighten me on what the following universities base their interview selection on? :smile: (I know its probably been asked alot of times before but it takes me ages to trawl through the posts :colondollar:)
Newcastle (Invite everyone above a certain UKCAT score?)
Liverpool (GCSE scoring and then PS?)
Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Keele and Nottingham.

As you can tell i'm hoping to stay North-ish hahah.

Thanks in advance!

Newcastle are big on the UKCAT; Nottingham likes lots of extra-curriculars and, according the a student I talked to there doesn't really choose the sciency people that apply to oxbridge/ucl (a bit like Leicester)

That's all I know about those tbh.
Very well done! :smile: Your UMS is making me jealous :tongue:

Haha thanks :tongue: starting to worry about unit 2 now though :eek: just scraped an A in my ISA apparently, so gonna try and ace Unit 2 to get 90%+ UMS hopefully!

Got my second one next week. Have you done your second one yet?
Reply 1699

You will enjoy it very much! Like you, I'm also in the hospital shop but the fact that I am interacting with such diversity of people from doctors to visitors, patients etcetera is just great :biggrin: and since I have done it for a longggg time, hopefully that will play some sort of strength to my application when I apply :smile: keep on going!

Latest

Trending

Trending