The Student Room Group

6th year subjects. HELP.

Ok, I have a bit of an issue with subjects this year, two of the ones I defiantely wanted to take are in the same column and I cannot come to any decision on which to 'drop', because the school is not allowing them to be taken without being in the class. (thus not able to take both and having to choose just one)
The subjects i'm already taking this year are: Advanced English, French, History, Business Management. The two I have to decide between are Advanced Geography and Modern Studies. I know that universities look favourably on more highers, than extra advanced highers, but if an advanced A is 120 points and an A at higher is 70 points... well im not entirely sure of the logic!
Last year I only gained awards in three of the five subjects I took gaining an A in english and R.M.P.S and a B in Geography, I'm Hoping to apply to Edinburgh and Glasgow University for English Literature... (for that needing a minimum of BBBB at higher) or Politics/Journalism, and definately hope to go on to a career in journalism!
With all of that in mind, can anyone offer any advice on what would be more beneficial to take in 6th, Advanced Geography or Modern Studies?
Thanks!
Reply 1
My advice would be to go with Modern Studies.
Having taken that subject at Higher, I would say it is more in tune with what you would like to study at university. Also, the writing is more intense that Higher English.

But at the end of the day its your decision :smile:
Reply 2
Hmm, It is what im swaying towards, I did in fact take it to begin with last year, so I know what is involved, I didn't find the 'writing' difficult, just the timing, I suppose thats a part of it actually!
But yes it does look as though that might be better, I just dont know if an advanced would be... better? In some way...
But thank you!
Reply 3
Reason?
Reply 4
Modern.
Reply 5
Also, unless you're applying for an English university, an advanced higher would be over looked as a Higher anyway. I think you would find it less stressful to take Modern Studies than another AH.
Reply 6
Hmm, but I might also be applying to universities in England... does that change things?
Reply 7
You're doing 5 subjects? 1/2 of which are AHs?
That's a LOT of work.
Reply 8
It is, but i'm ok with it!
ShieldsG
Hmm, but I might also be applying to universities in England... does that change things?

If you're applying to England, they'll be looking for 3 AH. You might get away with 2 AH and a higher or two, but that will depend on the university.
For journalism, definitely modern studies.
I would say Modern Studies, since I got an A in it without a great deal of effort. Crack the formula for the essays and its the same every time.
Since you've already got a B at Higher Geography the universities (especially Edinburgh) wont really take the AH into account, perhaps if you managed an A. Here I would go for Modern Studies, is the other highers resits because that is a hefty work load?
Reply 13
if you are planning to apply to university in Scotland, I would say definitely modern studies higher. I did it this year, and loved it. It's quite like higher english except all the essays are about political/social issues and its a good preparation for journalism, if that's definitely what you want to do. hope it helps, good luck :-)
Reply 14
no, they are all new ones!
And thank you!
Looks likes it'll be Modern Studies then?!
Out of interest, why do Scottish Universities look more favourably on more Highers rather than continuing on to Advanced Higher, since AH is meant to be a good preparation for University study? Is it just that it may increase your breadth of knowledge and skills if you take more highers?
Reply 16
I have no idea actually, it didnt make sense to me with the 70 (72?) points to 120 points deal...
I mean surely they would look favourably upon 2 advanced highers is you also had 4-5 highers at A or B?!

Latest

Trending

Trending