The Student Room Group
60/40 is actually really low, so I think you should probably go and get this checked out. 100/60 isn't unhealthy, as long as you can cope with the associated symptoms, such as dizziness and fainting.

Do you also have a raised heart rate?
Explorer Dora
60/40 is actually really low, so I think you should probably go and get this checked out. 100/60 isn't unhealthy, as long as you can cope with the associated symptoms, such as dizziness and fainting.

Do you also have a raised heart rate?

I'm not sure, tbh I've always felt faint when I get up etc.

I could go see my GP but is there really anything productive I can do to prevent my blood pressure dropping?

Thanks for replying btw. :smile:
Postural hypotension might be the reason you feel faint when you stand up - it's when your blood pressure drops temporarily, and is apparently quite common.

I have a low blood pressure and a high pulse (mine is around 100 when resting) and I saw the doctor about this. If you go, they'll probably do an ECG and blood tests, just to check everything is okay. Mine is probably due to being anaemic, but it could be a thyroid problem.

I think they can give you drugs to raise your blood rpessure, but it's not something they really like to do. But if you are concerned, you should definately speak to a doctor :smile:
Ignoramus
I'm not sure, tbh I've always felt faint when I get up etc.

I could go see my GP but is there really anything productive I can do to prevent my blood pressure dropping?

Thanks for replying btw. :smile:

It could be Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). I got checked out for it.

I think some of use are not wired correctly. For years I've had bouts of low BP, high HR, and even the opposite ... a slow HR when standing.

Of course, get it checked out, there will be a deeper issue. Unless your me, in which case the doctors pass it off as anxiety because they can't find anything. I have a higher risk of sudden death though.
well considering in december mine was like 124/86 or something like that then i would say it was low :smile: just get it checked out so if there are any underlying issues then you can get them sorted
cascadingstylez
It could be Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). I got checked out for it.

I think some of use are not wired correctly. For years I've had bouts of low BP, high HR, and even the opposite ... a slow HR when standing.

Of course, get it checked out, there will be a deeper issue. Unless your me, in which case the doctors pass it off as anxiety because they can't find anything. I have a higher risk of sudden death though.

Okay thanks, will get it checked out. :smile:

OMG higher risk of sudden death? That sounds scary! :eek3:
Oh, and whoever repped leave your name, so I can return the favour! :biggrin:
I think it still falls into the healthy BP category, although at the bottom. I would get checked out to be on the safe side.
Ooo, I'm glad you brought up this thread (well not glad you have low blood pressure or whatever, hope you get it sorted) cause I just want to know:

What counts as high and what counts as low blood pressure, how do these readings work?

My family has a history of high blood pressure so I think I should get to know these things. :s-smilie:
Reply 10
It could be considered low, but low blood pressure needs to be considered in terms of the person - if you're a young, fit person, your blood pressure is likely to be lower than most.

Remember that blood pressure, particularly around and below 100mmHg is hard to measure and machines (particularly those that aren't calibrated regularly) are not the most reliable.

Independent of that, if you are feeling faint regularly, it's probably worth a visit to your GP.
Reply 11
thankyou for posting this OP; i'm actually in the exact same situation and have been wondering whether i should go to the doctors or not for quite a while.

my advice after reading this would be that we should both go get checked out, but it's probably nothing major. :smile:
raisin.
my advice after reading this would be that we should both go get checked out, but it's probably nothing major. :smile:

Good advice :smile:
Renal
It could be considered low, but low blood pressure needs to be considered in terms of the person - if you're a young, fit person, your blood pressure is likely to be lower than most.

Remember that blood pressure, particularly around and below 100mmHg is hard to measure and machines (particularly those that aren't calibrated regularly) are not the most reliable.

Independent of that, if you are feeling faint regularly, it's probably worth a visit to your GP.

Cool, thanks. I'm young alright but not particularly fit. I have family history of both high and low blood pressure (different sides of the family lol) so it's an interesting one. :smile:
timelordess
Ooo, I'm glad you brought up this thread (well not glad you have low blood pressure or whatever, hope you get it sorted) cause I just want to know:

What counts as high and what counts as low blood pressure, how do these readings work?

My family has a history of high blood pressure so I think I should get to know these things. :s-smilie:

Ok so Hypotension (low blood pressure) is generally considered to be less than 100/60

Hypertension (high blood pressure) is generally considered to be 140/90 and above. A reading of 132/94 would also be considered showing signs of hypertension, as would 155/75.

One reading isn't particularly reliable - the values can change depending on your position (sitting/standing) whether you've exerted yourself recently, whether you're nervous (white coat high blood pressure - which I actually suffer from - is where you get nervous about having your blood pressure taken so you get a false higher reading)

Basically what 'blood pressure' actually means is the pressure exerted along the arteries as it flows through your arm (where the cuff is placed when taking a reading) The first reading is the pressure when the heart contracts and pushes all the blood out the heart and to the rest of body. The second reading is the pressure when the heart is relaxed - hence why the first reading is always greater than the second.

Reasons for hypertension can be genetic, through smoking, lack of excersize, over eating or general bad luck. If you've got fatty, hardened deposits along your arteries, the space will be narrowed and so the pressure will increase.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 15
seeing as there's some quite knowledgeable people in this thread, can anyone actually tell me what causes low blood pressure/hypotension?

i always hear so much about high blood pressure and what to do about it, but never anything about the opposite!

i'm like the OP- my blood pressure is usually around 100/60 but is sometimes more like 90/50 and never goes much higher at all, no matter the time or situation. i do get dizzy when i stand sometimes and my chest also feels a bit tight/uncomfy sometimes- are the two linked?

i'm not meaning to hijack the thread but if anyone knows then hopefully it can help us both. :smile:
Reply 16
This helped... Thanks

Latest