The Student Room Group

Mumps and food

As the title suggests, I have a good flourishing helping of mumps, it was diagnosed by a GP on Monday, I felt the pain in my neck and jaw last Saturday, and I look like a chipmunk.

With the pleasantries out of the way, I did some research on foods, and it says that nothing hot or spicy can be eaten because they tickle the salvary glands that the mumps virus infects, so, i stayed away from KFC and the like.

However, even eating normal food has me giving up and clutching my face in pain after a few bites, it seems that any food stimulates the gland. This was the same for chicken soup, for Ben and Jerry's, for bread and everything inbetween. So, I havent really eaten a full meal since Monday, well, I havent eaten anything since monday.

I've looked on the tinternet, and the recovery lengh seems to vary from site to site, so I'm appealing to the oh so unfortunate people who have had this disease in their living memory, how long did it take for it to clear up for you. And was there any extraordinarily bland cusine that didnt tickle the salvary glands and cause huge pain?
Reply 1
Hate to break it to you... but pretty much everything hurts to eat when you have mumps. Basically eat the blandest stuff you can find, i found mash potatoes and yogurt was ok... ice cream was good too. Eat small and slow and when it really hurts stop. I also started scheduling my meals for when my painkillers would be working best (so about an hour after i took them...). Also don't try and get food through smoothies like i did as the acid in the fruit makes it HURT!!!

my face was swollen for about 2.5 weeks but it took a really long time for the sensation to come back to my cheeks (which really worried me but my GP said it was normal...)

Hope you feel better soon!!!
Have you thought about eating jelly? When I had my tonsils out it was an absolute life saver for me! It was the only thing I could bare to bring myself to eat!
I know its not the same as mumps but it may help! :smile:

Get well soon!
I remember being off school for about 2 weeks and then went back but it transpired that I was still infected even after the swelling had gone...so yeah it takes a while to go away.

Like someone else said - from what I remember, everything hurts. I just ate a lot of soup because it was the least painful.

Hope you're not going crazy being house bound! I remember getting sick of sitting around all day looking like chipmunk. It's awful.
Reply 4
I've got mumps now! I've had the MMR jab so was surprised when the doctor told me what I had. My face looks MAHOOSIVE and eating ANYTHING seems to hurt. Have had it for a few days, hoping it goes away soon. Just taking lots if paracetamol!

Any tips on what to eat?

Cheers
Mumps sucks. From Sunday I had tonsil on left side of my ear(below the ear) so I thought it will go away because I had tonsils before, a lot of times. But this times it gotten worse I didn't knew why, I thought it will go away but it didn't so I went to the hospital since medical centre is closed for coronavirus. To make an appointment for coronavirus, we have to talk to GP through call first, and if they think that I don't have any symptoms of coronavirus then they will tell me to go to doctor in medical centre. So I went to the hospital. At first nurse thought that I had coronavirus because I told her I had fever before and sour throat before the tonsils. She gave me a mask I wore it and wait outside until the hospital doctor called me in and she removed my mask and she wasn't scared at all and she didn't even wore special clothes for coronavirus, that's probably were because she knew that what I have below my ear. They took 4-5 tube of blood and after a while she came and gave me antibiotics for it. I took it for a day, but...the next day it went way worse. My whole face got swollen in early in the morning. I was scared to look in the mirror. So my brother called the medical center, he told the receptionist about my situation and so she said that she will give the call to the doctor, soon. After a while of waiting the doctor called us.The reason we couldn't go to the medical centre is because of the coronavirus. So I told him my problem and how it got started. But unfortunately just because I said i had fever 5 times on Monday and because I told him that I had sour throat on left side of neck and I told him that I had hot milk to get rid of it so me having fever and having sour throat before sounded like coronavirus symptoms, so that's why the doctor told me to go to the hospital(day= 25th Wednesday)On that day we decided to wait because we went to the hospital on Tuesday, but I couldn't wait as it got more bigger. Not on my face but on my neck and under my ears. So my brother took me to the Hospital again. This time two doctors checked on me and took 6 tube of blood. After a while they come up with the results and that my bloods are positive and that I don't have any disease or whatsoever and then they told me that I have mumps. The doctors told me that it takes some time for the mumps to go away, so they told me to stay home for 5 day and apply hot/cold water bag if they are hurting. And told me to take paracetamol as well. Right now, I don't have pain and my right ear one is gone but the left one is not gone yet. I hope this mumps will go away in 5 days.
Good i know about this its really good
I remember being off school for about 2 weeks and then went back but it transpired that I was still infected even after the swelling had gone...so yeah it takes a while to go away.

Like someone else said - from what I remember, everything hurts. I just ate a lot of soup because it was the least painful.

Hope you're not going crazy being house bound! I remember getting sick of sitting around all day looking like chipmunk. It's awful.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest