The Student Room Group

Feeling drained

For a while now I've had constant issues with my tummy it alternates between constipation and gas/diarrhoea . Some mornings I wake with terrible stomach pains and just can't go to the toilet no matter how long I wait . Then other days I wake up with bad flatulence and will be on the loo all morning with diarrhoea. Dont feel ill but i'm getting so fed up as sometimes I wake up early feeling the urge to poo and feel as though I still haven't finished even after a long time on the loo . Any advice not been doctors yet as it doesn't happen everyday but wondering if it's ibs or something more serious
Original post by Anonymous
For a while now I've had constant issues with my tummy it alternates between constipation and gas/diarrhoea . Some mornings I wake with terrible stomach pains and just can't go to the toilet no matter how long I wait . Then other days I wake up with bad flatulence and will be on the loo all morning with diarrhoea. Dont feel ill but i'm getting so fed up as sometimes I wake up early feeling the urge to poo and feel as though I still haven't finished even after a long time on the loo . Any advice not been doctors yet as it doesn't happen everyday but wondering if it's ibs or something more serious

You do need to see your GP. It could be IBS but your GP will be able to rule out anything more serious. Make an appointment and in the meantime try making a diary of what you eat and record how your symptoms are. That way you might get an indication of foods that make your symptoms worse.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
You do need to see your GP. It could be IBS but your GP will be able to rule out anything more serious. Make an appointment and in the meantime try making a diary of what you eat and record how your symptoms are. That way you might get an indication of foods that make your symptoms worse.

Will do thanks for the advice.
Reply 3
Just wondered what foods I could eat that won't upset my tummy ?
Reply 4
Just wondered what foods I could eat that won't upset my tummy ?

That completely depends on what the issue is. If it's say a food intolerance like glutton intolerance, you avoid wheat e.g bread, if it's a lactose intolerance you avoid normal milk, if it's say gastroenteritis you might avoid sugary drinks and caffeine. No point in guessing. Make a food diary and go see a GP.
Reply 5

drain ganggg
Reply 6
Original post by lalexm
That completely depends on what the issue is. If it's say a food intolerance like glutton intolerance, you avoid wheat e.g bread, if it's a lactose intolerance you avoid normal milk, if it's say gastroenteritis you might avoid sugary drinks and caffeine. No point in guessing. Make a food diary and go see a GP.

Thankyou it just comes and goes which I find strange. Been struggling to go for a few days then yesterday i had pains in my stomach and immediately went to the toilet and it was like diarrhoea. Unsure what to do tried a food diary and doesn't seem to matter much whether I eat diary or Gluten the symptoms are still similar.
Reply 7
Thankyou it just comes and goes which I find strange. Been struggling to go for a few days then yesterday i had pains in my stomach and immediately went to the toilet and it was like diarrhoea. Unsure what to do tried a food diary and doesn't seem to matter much whether I eat diary or Gluten the symptoms are still similar.

But with gluten it builds up in the gut over many days so it is not always obvious that what food is causing it. I believe you would need to cut out the food for say 2 week. Go see a doctor.
Reply 8
Original post by lalexm
But with gluten it builds up in the gut over many days so it is not always obvious that what food is causing it. I believe you would need to cut out the food for say 2 week. Go see a doctor.

I am going to try cutting out these foods for more than just a couple of days and hopefully things will improve. Would it take a while to develop any food intolerance? Just fed up of it and always having stomach problems .

Quick Reply

Latest