The Student Room Group

They want me to get Level 3 on Monday

I took the test for access to Engineering today. I was shocked! I didn't know it was on the first day. I thought I would apply and then do it in a couple of days later.

I did Maths and I flopped. I haven't seen Algebra in years. Out of 50 questions I got only 28 right. I'm meant to get 45. I thought I would be easy.

I got a B grade in GCSE without even trying a couple of years.

Now I'm looking for list of subjects to read up on the weekend. I know Algebra is one. I surprisingly did Trig easily. I never learn that and I passed it easily.
Reply 1
I was just thinking. It's stupid to just study Algebra. What if they bring other stuff in? Anyone got the subjects that are needed for the numeracy tests? Google is no help.
What exactly do you mean? They can't test you at level 3 (A level standard) since that is what you are enrolling to learn.Frankly i am quite surprised they tested you on algebra and trig.Numeracy is a basic level maths test.I sat one and got 50/50 without much preparation.It is basically a step below gcse maths and i wouldn't expect them to test you on algebra or the higher end part of gcse maths(don't quote me on that though).They just want to know that you are capable of doing arithmetic and other basic maths.I'd say just do the 'number' section on ks2 and ks3 and you should be fine(fractions,percentages,decimals etc).You should be aware that the access modules in maths will be taught/started at a basic level which will gradually build up and before you know it,you'll be battling with the calculus hehe :biggrin: .The tutors are aware that most of the people have been out of school for a long time and have forgotten most of the stuff if not all :o: ,and diffrent students have diffrent ability/background.
These are just my experiences and what i picked up from people who have been through that route.
Reply 3
Thats the thing though. I knew it was going to be hard maths during the course starting easy and then going harder and harder. I prepared for that. I asked my stepdad and a maths tutor to help me during the course. What I didn't expect is that they would start with it.

Maybe the reason why they told me to take the test was because I couldn't find my old GCSE certificates. I found them all but surprise surprise I can't find my good maths certificate. The first one I did I got a C and the second one I did before I gave up on education was a B.

I'm going there on Monday and I prepare for the test. But I will also bring my certificates and hopefully avoid the test.
If you can't find the better gcse maths certificate,why don't you just take the grade C one.That is still an acceptable grade.In my college you didn't even need any formal certificates as long as you showed you had the potential to succeed and they would let you sit for the gcse maths alongside it.That's what access is all about.
Reply 5
an_anonymous_friend
If you can't find the better gcse maths certificate,why don't you just take the grade C one.That is still an acceptable grade.In my college you didn't even need any formal certificates as long as you showed you had the potential to succeed and they would let you sit for the gcse maths alongside it.That's what access is all about.

I thought Access was about giving people who haven't been in education for a long time a chance to succeed in life. Hopefully they will accept the Grade C. I wonder what that is equivilent to though? A Numeracy Skill level 2?

If that isn't good enough I can flash my Physics grade. I got an A which can show my potential.
Reply 6
100 people read it and only one person bothered to reply. So i just want to ask a question.

Can I use a calculator. Some of the questions had answers that were decimal points. Took me a long time to figure it out. My inactive maths brain slowly churned them out. Not fast enough though. It would have been easy If i could use the calculator. Would have finished the questions with decimal points (where are easy on a calc but hard mentally).
Stettin
100 people read it and only one person bothered to reply. So i just want to ask a question.

Can I use a calculator. Some of the questions had answers that were decimal points. Took me a long time to figure it out. My inactive maths brain slowly churned them out. Not fast enough though. It would have been easy If i could use the calculator. Would have finished the questions with decimal points (where are easy on a calc but hard mentally).

It might be abit late,but why don't you just take a calculator with you and find out if you can use it or not.Better safe than sorry :biggrin: .Don't sweat it man,i'm sure you'll be fine.I too will be taking access maths this year,or should i say 2 days from now :biggrin:.
Best of luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending