The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

alice.eleanor.x
General studies is completely different, it isn't a taught subject you choose to take.

English, Maths and Science aren't optional at GCSE level.
joshphillips999
Well when you apply for uni, make sure they know that Economics was not offered on its own, and they will understand, hopefully it shouldn't set you back too much, it is partially economics too so I wouldn't say its weak, its more like between weak and strong. You shouldn't be discriminated against, aslong as you get good grades and make sure you tell your uni that you couldn't take soley economics, you hopefully should be ok.

cheers your a good guy
I agree broadly with the blacklist, however I have a few exceptions to it:
- Media Studies: is actually very hard. Typically it's even harder than an A at A2 English or English HL in the IB, both of which are no pushover to earn.
- Psychology: I may rip my psychologist friends for studying it instead of a proper science, but I acknowledge that there is a lot of information for psychology, and that it's not a pushover subject.
- Photography : why is photography on there? It's certainly not easy to take a good photograph, or manipulate it effectively. Photography is about as scientific a subject as you'll get in the arts these days, short of musicology. I must confess, I may simply be defending it because I love it as a hobby and it complements my other field skills as a geographer very nicely!

As for the rest, I don't think that an A-level in them is worth the paper it's printed on. The worst culprits have to be sociology, tourism and leisure studies. I mean . . . what the hell?
- Sociology: an idiot's version of human geography, psychology and anthropology, thrown together by hippies in the 70s who wanted to get into teaching, but couldn't teach a real subject.
- Tourism: I just don't get it. It's like trying to take this small aspect of human geography and turn it into a fully-fledged subject . . . I'm glad it's blacklisted. If you're interested in tourism then a BA in Geography or Anthropology might be better preceded by relevant, but broad, A-levels, or even better yet - SOME LIFE EXPERIENCE.
- Leisure Studies: to do what exactly? Run a leisure centre or a gym? You don't need an A-level to do that - you need business acumen and experience.
emmielociraptor
English, Maths and Science aren't optional at GCSE level.

But we're not talking about GCSE level, and they are also taught subjects, unlike general studies.
emmielociraptor
It's three words.

It's not conceited, it's true. The people who think it is conceited are the people who get defensive because they only study those subjects.

Edit: I wouldn't use the exact term "mickey mouse" subject though, it does sound kind of insulting.

When some does that grammar check thing, it's as annoying as somone flicking water at you. :yep:

And that's my point.
*rolls eyes*
Reply 85
Installation
I think we're thinking of two different meanings for 'mickey mouse' subjects. You're giving arguments as to why these subjects aren't useful (fair enough I guess) but they're still pretty difficult.

mickey mouse doesn't imply difficulty- it implies a joke. sure i agree they may be hard, but subjects can be hard and still a joke- learning an entire book to be repeated word for word may be hard but it would be a joke of a subject
Danules
mickey mouse doesn't imply difficulty- it implies a joke. sure i agree they may be hard, but subjects can be hard and still a joke- learning an entire book to be repeated word for word may be hard but it would be a joke of a subject

Hrm, I kinda see what you're saying. I guess I used to have the same viewpoint as you (science = win e.t.c.) but gradually lost it.
Reply 87
Danules
history- there isn't anything to it then rewriting things your taught in a slightly different way. history as a subject only teaches how to pass a history exam- there is no creativity or invention or application of knowledge (u might say sources, but its not new, its applying one formula for an exam papers mark scheme)

english lit- reading books is a passtime, not an exam. there is no right or wrong, anything is correct and so its mickey mouse cos it doesn't actually teach anything- and what careers involve the process of comparative lit

Uhhh... isn't that EXACTLY what maths is? It's exactly the same thing but just plugging in different numbers.
Stop being so ignorant and shut up.
Reply 88
[QUOTE="sarahlousie"]
Danules
mickey mouse doesn't imply difficulty- it implies a joke. sure i agree they may be hard, but subjects can be hard and still a joke- learning an entire book to be repeated word for word may be hard but it would be a joke of a subject[/QUOTE

How are subjects such as art and design and other more vocational or 'practical' subjects be considered a joke if they are something which can lead to a successful career?

I was talking about academic subjects- (soz for any confusion) vocational subjects clearly are for a specific job- they teach a trade and so can not be considered jokes.
Reply 89
Critical thinking :yep:
I find it funny it's people in the MEDIA who tell us that subjects like MEDIA STUDIES are Mickey Mouse subjects.
just_tha_bboy
I find it funny it's people in the MEDIA who tell us that subjects like MEDIA STUDIES are Mickey Mouse subjects.

I agree, its totally ironic.
Danules
latin- only useful if your into taxonomy

otherwise latin and greek are dead- its like learning a dictionary full of dead words

classics- (i presume its class civ ur refering to?) its a mixture of englsh lit and history (prior post)

Danules
...The rest are utter jokes. history is as useful and as much crap as media studies
neg rep me all you want its fact. those who neg rep me are just complete ignoramius cos they wont admit the truth

You're straying from the point. Usefulness and what is labelled a 'mickey mouse' subject are two different things. Sure, Latin may not be as useful as some other subjects but it is a well respected traditional subject, here a good 2000 years before you. It is not in the same category as media studies so don't put the two together.

Also its hardly considered dead considering how many languages derive from it, including the one you speak and write utter crap with in your posts on this thread. Only ignorant people call it that. Your comments on english lit., history, greek and classics etc also seem to hold the same ignorance. If they were as bad as you say they would be on the blacklist for Cambridge, but co-incidentally none of them are. So I think that pretty much makes what you're saying (the opinion of someone who hasn't even started their AS levels yet) invalid compared to that of a long standing prestigious place of education.

Congratulations! It seems like you're a narrow-minded 'if-its-not-totally-objective-like-a-science-its-wrong' person. Yes, science is important but it is most certainly not everything. It must be boring for you to live without any creativity or have the inability to think in a subjective way.

As for the OPs question subjects which are more vocational like media studies can be seen as a waste of time unless you want to go into that area of work. If you want to be in media later on then its good, otherwise its not so good. Subjects like media studies are considered 'weak' because they haven't been around long and cannot be easily applied to other fields. Maths for example can be used in a huge number of jobs and has been around for much much longer so is considered 'strong'.
Media itself plays a large part in giving newer subjects a bad reputation and 'a mickey mouse subject' is just a label. How much a subject means to you in terms of usefulness/enjoyment/what you can achieve is what counts and that is something which is different for everyone.
Melting Sugar.
As a science it's not as highly regarded.

As an A level it is. :yes:
Some universities accept it as a science subject.

Yep. They do. It got me into a top University because it is considered a science. :woo:
Is Sociology a respected subject?
Smtn
No it isn't

Why not?
Reply 96
Ninja Student
Is Sociology a respected subject?

It's respected by most.
Mickey Mouse subjects are -

Any language
Art
Photography
Performing arts
Sports degree's
food tech
sociology

For real true academic subjects you will need to study

History
Psychology
English literature
Science's
Math, stats etc
I.T

Having studied all the subjects above at some level or another i have discovered that some people find some subjects easier than others and just because they have not done the subject they feel it's not worth a qualification. I also studied Film studies, which most people would consider a "Mickey Mouse subject" but if you study it correctly it is a challenging and complex subject.

And anyway... the true mickey mouse subjects can be found at Uni.... Like degrees in the Beatles and David Beckam (sp?) lol x
Er, I think they like languages?

And it appears everyone has forgotten about Religious Studies :redface:
Reply 99
Okay I'm in trouble then...my AS choices are English Lit, Business, Psychology and Biology.

I know that Biology I will find very hard and makes sense for this to be what I drop, leaving me with the others, now Business is seen as a weak subject, but psychology is sometimes too? However, I am really interested in psychology and business. I would like a degree in either of these

Latest