The Student Room Group

To those doing Advanced higher computing, maths, physics OR music.

I have one question to go with each course, so an answer to any would be very helpful.

Music(with performing):
Is the Music course basically performing, two compositions, an essay plus listeneing(with no new concepts from higher). I'm only getting a single teaching period a week, and wonder how much work it would be.

Maths:
How far are you through the course just now? We are on unit 1 topic 3, but that's because of a mess around with teachers and other problems(like if the course was actually running:woo:). I just want to find out how far we are behind compared to others studying the course.

Physics:
How much work is the investigation?

Computing:
...How far are you through. I'm on unit 1, topic 5.
Reply 1
GuitaringEgg
I have one question to go with each course, so an answer to any would be very helpful.

Music(with performing):
Is the Music course basically performing, two compositions, an essay plus listeneing(with no new concepts from higher). I'm only getting a single teaching period a week, and wonder how much work it would be.

Maths:
How far are you through the course just now? We are on unit 1 topic 3, but that's because of a mess around with teachers and other problems(like if the course was actually running:woo:). I just want to find out how far we are behind compared to others studying the course.

Physics:

Computing:

I've got two teachers for AH maths. We're just about to start the integration from Unit 1 with one of them, and with the other one we're just finishing off binomial theorem (we've already done partial fractions) and in the next week or two we're gonna start matrices
I've done all of those apart from computing, and I can tell you Music is pretty much no work at all if you you did well at higher. I got an A, and I never turned up to class once.
Out of them, the only one I'm doing is Maths, which we don't seem to be doing in the order of the textbook, we've done

One of the two Differentiation topics, partial fractions, integration, and a fair bit of the binomial theorem.
Reply 4
Meteorshower
I've done all of those apart from computing, and I can tell you Music is pretty much no work at all if you you did well at higher. I got an A, and I never turned up to class once.

I got a low A, and that was a crash AND I came into the class 6 weeks after the course started, so thankfully it doesn't look like it's going to take up much of my time.

CallumFR
I've got two teachers for AH maths. We're just about to start the integration from Unit 1 with one of them, and with the other one we're just finishing off binomial theorem (we've already done partial fractions) and in the next week or two we're gonna start matrices

Amazing, I seem to be ahead of that. We've just finished the integration(though i'm not sure whats next). I'm only getting 4 teaching periods too.

namedeprived
Out of them, the only one I'm doing is Maths, which we don't seem to be doing in the order of the textbook, we've done

One of the two Differentiation topics, partial fractions, integration, and a fair bit of the binomial theorem.

I have done all that too. Maybe I'm not as far behind as I thought I was...
GuitaringEgg
I got a low A, and that was a crash AND I came into the class 6 weeks after the course started, so thankfully it doesn't look like it's going to take up much of my time.

I pretty much ignored Music completely until fairly late in the year, you'll be fine. I didn't even get an A at higher :p:
Reply 6
For AH Maths
We've done Unit 1 Topic 1 & 2 and our teacher is expecting us to finish intergration for tomorrow!
Reply 7
GuitaringEgg

Music(with performing):

Maths:

Physics:

Computing:

AH Music = easy. AH is just like higher but the you have to do a 'dissertation' (if you can call it that :p: ) and 2 longer compositions. The listening paper for AH is harder than the higher though but not too much and you have to write 2 mini-essays in thhat as well. I f you got an a at higher then it'll be easy.
Reply 8
Right, so I've established that Music is not going to be much more work, and will probably be easy. In maths, I'm thankfully as far behind as i thought I was, despite not doing any maths for 2 weeks.

Thanks to all who've answered, but can anyone enlighten me on physics or computing?
GuitaringEgg
Right, so I've established that Music is not going to be much more work, and will probably be easy. In maths, I'm thankfully as far behind as i thought I was, despite not doing any maths for 2 weeks.

Thanks to all who've answered, but can anyone enlighten me on physics or computing?

Sorry, thought your physics question was only for current people mistakenly.

It can be a fair amount of work to an awful lot. I recommend trying to get as much planned and sorted as you possibly can now. Every year, people leave it too late and end up rushing at the end. It's much less stressful if you try and get at least the experiments out the way fairly promptly.
Reply 10
Meteorshower
Sorry, thought your physics question was only for current people mistakenly.

It can be a fair amount of work to an awful lot. I recommend trying to get as much planned and sorted as you possibly can now. Every year, people leave it too late and end up rushing at the end. It's much less stressful if you try and get at least the experiments out the way fairly promptly.

Ok. I've always hated practicals(never work, and you normally know the outcome). I've decided to stick to a simple one, working out g using a simple pendulum(I'm gonna have fun trying to spell that a million times). My teacher is really pushing me to begin very soon. I just want to get it over with asap...
GuitaringEgg
Ok. I've always hated practicals(never work, and you normally know the outcome). I've decided to stick to a simple one, working out g using a simple pendulum(I'm gonna have fun trying to spell that a million times). My teacher is really pushing me to begin very soon. I just want to get it over with asap...

Haha, my friend did that and he did it for like 1000 swings each time to get really low uncertainties :p:

Remember to have 3 at least slightly different experiments, and you can always tack on a "measuring g using freefall" if you've got a suitably tall school building!
Reply 12
Meteorshower
Haha, my friend did that and he did it for like 1000 swings each time to get really low uncertainties :p:

Remember to have 3 at least slightly different experiments, and you can always tack on a "measuring g using freefall" if you've got a suitably tall school building!

Alright, thanks for all your help. At least i don't feel AS stressed. In fact, i wonder why i was stressed in the first place.
GuitaringEgg
Alright, thanks for all your help. At least i don't feel AS stressed. In fact, i wonder why i was stressed in the first place.

No problem. Any further questions about maths, physics or music at any point and i'll be happy to answer.
Can I be nosy and ask what you're doing for your computing project? :p:
Reply 15
GuitaringEgg
Maths:

I've done topic 5 (matrices) and just finished topic 1 (binomial theorem and partial fractions) last week. Started on topic 2 (differentiation) now so I dunno what topic 3 actually is...
Reply 16
TheUnbeliever
Can I be nosy and ask what you're doing for your computing project? :p:

I would tell you, if i knew myself. I'm going to my local University(Abertay, which handily is where my first choice is:smile:) to get help for them or something. I don't know really... but I'm going quite soon.

I Think it's just a simple game in VB, but I wouldn't quote me on it.

Latest

Trending

Trending