The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
what did people put for the security and integrity question on cpt2
Reply 21
what did people get for the CPT1 dry run answer? I finished the paper in 25 mins and that took me 40 mins!! and also what is the device coming out of the amplifyer? I never learnt anything like that! Why cant they just ask the normal questions that came up in January?!
Dry run added a number into a list of numbers in numerical order. I think the second device was speakers.
Reply 23
so u people found CPT2 difficult?

i think i overprepared for it, i found it quite a good paper.
Reply 24
VERY tricky CPT1 paper

Im yr2 trying to scrape an A overall and decided to retake CPT1 to get some extra "easy" marks. I did every past paper on the AQA website for computing and felt i was fully prepared for anything they could ask (also learnt Heathcote book off by heart, load of rubbish i find, dont no what others use?) little peed off was convinced could get 60/65 but they really seem to have changed their question style this exam (backed up by what that guy who went to convention said).
But anyway if were the first to suffer this change in paper style then theyll expect a huge drop in peoples marks and when they convert the score out of 65 to 105 this will hopefully reflect by giving us high converted scores.

Btw does anyone know how this conversion works. Is it based on how whole country performs so for example say 30/65 was best in country that would still be converted to the full 105 as its the best?

Sorry for long post just releived that everyone found it hard.
Reply 25
mikeyg1987
VERY tricky CPT1 paper

Im yr2 trying to scrape an A overall and decided to retake CPT1 to get some extra "easy" marks. I did every past paper on the AQA website for computing and felt i was fully prepared for anything they could ask (also learnt Heathcote book off by heart, load of rubbish i find, dont no what others use?) little peed off was convinced could get 60/65 but they really seem to have changed their question style this exam (backed up by what that guy who went to convention said).
But anyway if were the first to suffer this change in paper style then theyll expect a huge drop in peoples marks and when they convert the score out of 65 to 105 this will hopefully reflect by giving us high converted scores.

Btw does anyone know how this conversion works. Is it based on how whole country performs so for example say 30/65 was best in country that would still be converted to the full 105 as its the best?

Sorry for long post just releived that everyone found it hard.

The exam board knows before the exam is sat how many people they want to get a grade A. Using normal distributions and the mean mark and the standard deviation, the boundaries are created.
Reply 26
I think the boundary mark for CPT1 will drop, as lots of people on here find it difficult. :frown: I found the try run excercise confusing as it included the 'values' column. I'm weak at those kinds of excercises. I hate CPT2 where they base the stuff on mini case studies! :frown:

Therefore, my resits on those 2 units went bad, and my first attempt will count towards my final AS grade. sigh.

I just hope they didn't change the style of the questions, as I found the other past papers from jan 2005 and before quite difficult. :redface:
I'm actually glad that they've made the papers a bit harder. Some of them were a bit TOO easy before - some people were taking computing as a 'doss' subject - exams will actually require revision now.
Reply 28
ljfrugn
I'm actually glad that they've made the papers a bit harder. Some of them were a bit TOO easy before - some people were taking computing as a 'doss' subject - exams will actually require revision now.

I think from now on, computing will be a hard subject. If they make the A2 modules hard, it will be even worse. :eek: I don't think it's TOO easy when I've done the past papers. I don't think it's a 'doss' subject even if it's easy or hard.
Reply 29
Sam_B
so u people found CPT2 difficult?

i think i overprepared for it, i found it quite a good paper.

Well i prepared quite a bit for it as well but i had a little mind blank in the exam. I forgot sum stuff which i had to try and remember. Also sum bits of the paper made me think.

Hope the grade boundaries fall so everyone will do better.
Reply 30
what is a logical drive?

it's a part of a hard drive that has been partitiioned.

that's wat i put down, in the exam, but i wasn't too sure about it at the time.
i confirmed it from the net after the exam.

i don't think it was in the sylabus; i kinda knew it from my experience with computers.

What did u guys write for da last question in CPT2?Should the transaction file be a serial file?=)

yes.

I screwed up on the asynchronous question too, what were the answers for that question?

first bit (from the left) - was start bit, used to alert receiving computer of incoming data.
secondlast bit - was the parity bit, used to ensure there is no corruption of data during data transfer.
las bit - stop bit, used to alert receiving computer of the end of the data transfer.

How do you know what's the purpose of the algorithm by looking at it?

you can see what an algorithm does, by wat has changed from the start values and the end values. i usually find that bit quite easy. the harder bit is actually doing the dry run.

what is the purpose of the dry run

it inserted a number into a list, and arranged the list by ascending numerical order.
Reply 31
The exam board knows before the exam is sat how many people they want to get a grade A. Using normal distributions and the mean mark and the standard deviation, the boundaries are created.

what percentage of people do they want to get an A?
god hearing this i hope they havent made cpt4 & 5 harder, no chance of retaking those for me this year. cpt in jan which i resat was not that hard, but didnt do it again this summer so dont know if it did seem harder or not. good luck to you all!
itz_ant
Quote:
What did u guys write for da last question in CPT2?Should the transaction file be a serial file?=)

yes.

We were told the master file is ordered sequentially by EmployeeID - so shouldn't the transaction file be ordered this way, not serially?
Reply 34
yes, it should have been sequentially.
Reply 35
Now look at what you've done. You've made me pick up that damned computing textbook by Heathcote.

94 Computing textbook by Heathcote pg

Serial files are used as temporary files to store transaction data.

itz_ant
Now look at what you've done. You've made me pick up that damned computing textbook by Heathcote.

damn i put sequential as well...o well.
O yeah u c then dry dun testing, did u guys fill out the whole of the table?
I had the last line left which i thought was a bit peculiar
Reply 37
I had a couple of lines not filled in. I thought I had done it wrong, and I went over it like five times (had more than enough time).
Strange.. when I did it I filled out the entire table.
Reply 39
i went through it loads, didnt find it 2 hard however it took a lot of thinking, but i am doing A2 and unit 4 algorithms are twice as difficult so ive prob had more practice at harder algorithms than most. Notice it was worth 6 marks, my dry run produces 6 numerical changes, placing the "new, 6" into the correct place in the ordered array.

1st row = Titles. New, Old, Pointer, Values (1-5)

2nd row = 6, 3, 1, 4, 7, 9, blank, blank

3rd row = 6, 2, 2, 4, 6, blank, 9, blank

4th row = 6, 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, blank

5th row = no values

6th row = no values

you could alternativly just put in those values which changed and not fill in those which have on other rows, like new 6, which didnt changes, you could have just left the whole column blank. its just easier to do it this way on screen

Latest

Trending

Trending