The Student Room Group

Failed Medical School, help anyone...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The Alchemiste
That feeling of crappiness and depression will probably stick with you for a long time, that is until you pass medical school. I would try something that's linked to medicine so it won't be all bad, Pharmacy seems to be a good choice. But having something taken from you is disheartening.
The world holds No Quarter unfortunately, but we all have to find ways of surviving, even if we can't get what we want. Compromise is necessary, in this case try for Pharmacy and keep Medicine as a goal in your mind.
If you can get back into Medicine then by all means do everything it takes, you'll regret not doing it later on in life.

If you are thinking of going into another course then be warned, you will be living hell. I do not know how much Medicine meant to you so I can't say what you will feel or how it might be like, but it will be hard. With a pharmacy degree or something similar they'll happily take you in, they should since it's a science course with a lot of medicine in it.

"I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed"

I forget who wrote that.

All we can do here is wish you luck (the ones with good in us that is :P). Only you can pull yourself out of this, you're the one that has to go through the doors life has put in front of you.

You set the tone...

That's an amazing message. I definitely will not give up and will keep fighting. You completely understood my feelings. It is hard but no point self pitying myself. The main issue is my age. I feel very very old. It's like a ticking time bomb. But then again, alot of people at uni are quite older so I shouldn't be so negative.
Reply 21
belis
It seems a bit harsh for them to ask you to leave the course at this stage. Particularly if your underachievement was strongly related to health and other problems. Is there any possibility of appealing their decision and retaking the year? If you really still want to be a doctor I think that it would be best to Have you been in touch with BMA, MDU etc for some support and advice? How about your student union? If you still want to be a doctor than trying to convince your current school to let you retake the year would be the most straightforward way to achieve this. Obviously each school has its own policies and procedures and it may not be possible where you are based but I think that it is worth a shot.

Also are they going to award you something for completing 2 years already? Maybe they could at least let you transfer to another related course there so you don't have to start from scratch? I know our uni lets you leave medicine after 3 years with biomed degree if you suddenly decide it is not for you.

I am currently appealing against their decision. I am involving lawyers, student union, and have medical notes. Hopefully they'll let me retake but I have to say, it's very unlikely. Transfer to 2nd/3rd year bio med would be ideal, or perhaps medicine abroad. Ordering some prospectuses now. If anyone can advise me on medical universities abroad, please type in some links here. I am bit worried about the language barrier, costs e.t.c
Reply 22
Yit
I'm not really in a position to judge you or anything, as I have never been in your situation, but your posts make me question your passion of becoming a doctor. You entered med-school because you genuinely wanted to be a doctor (hopefully), and now, because of a setback, you're just going to..give up and consider completely changing your career path? If you still dream of becoming a doctor, then go for the option that gets you there. Also, since you have considered studying medicine abroad, then look up information regarding costs and such of doing so. Get your act together.

Your post makes me question your understanding of medical school and just general compassion. This is not a little "hiccup or setback" as you put it, I have pretty much lost my degree and I have several ailments that I am stil dealing with. Therefore, the passion to do medicine doesn't come into it, it's more a case of being pragmatic and dealing with what has happened.

If there is a realistic place out there for medicine abroad I will go. I am researching this currently.

Law offers me a boost in my self esteem which is incredibly important, something that bio med would not do. I would feel even more depressed.

I am not a 18 year old hyper kid anymore fresh out of A Levels, I am almost in my mid 20's, I want to make something of myself as time stops for no one.
Reply 23
Anonymous
Hi, please keep anon as it's a very sensitive matter. I feel so crap and feel depressed. I don't know where to turn to. My gf gives me alot of support being a medic but I feel I want to write on here for advice.

I don't want to go into why I failed, but it wasn't lazyness or whatever, I've lost my place but it was due to many problems I suffered whilst at uni. The health one is ok now, and I am due to get treatment for something else too. I don't really want to go into this as it's the past, I am more concerned about the future.

What do I do? I feel old and useless, inferior. I feel like a poor mid 20's guy with no standing.

My gf has suggested do bio med/pharmacy here with option of post grad med. Or do medicine abroad but I am scared of costs/socially adapting...

I thought of just going straight into law as I don't want to get into a position of self pity and major depression. But my friends are all saying do something science based.Alot of people I know who have lost their places experienced this and are still psychologically damaged.

I am so confused. Can someone advise me...

PM me :smile:
Anonymous
The main issue is my age. I feel very very old. It's like a ticking time bomb. But then again, alot of people at uni are quite older so I shouldn't be so negative.

That will stick with you for a while too, feeling older than you actually are, tired of all the hurdles you had to jump through getting you nowhere.
Heck sometimes you feel as if you've lived a complete life, as if your 40 or 50 when you're anything but.

There's nothing wrong with self pity or any negative emotion, you just have to let it subside and not let it take over you, or let it rub onto others.

Think of it this way, you were obviously good enough to get into medicine. That was the hardest part, you've succeeded where many (me included) failed. That's determination, and you'll have to dip into that very same pot if you are to soldier on.
Everything thrown at you in life just ends up being another brick in the wall, the same wall which you have to overcome later on in life. Depending on how much you had to deal with in the past and present, you'll either continue with no problems happy as a jaybird, or work very hard for something that seems pointless and unachieveable.

Tear down the wall, show the uni you mean to change. Tell them your situation or you'll find my No Quarter message becoming a reality. They are human beings so they should sympathise with your predicament (that is if you tell them wholeheartedly, no lies, no bullcrap, just the honest truth).
If you stay on the course, then don't look back to the way things were. Your raison d`étre is to be content, to become a doctor, to do what you want to do, and say screw the world if it gives you hardship.

If given the opportunity, tear down the wall! If not then I fear the wall will continue to build itself until you can't take it anymore. Doing anything other than your preferred course and growing older by the second will kill you. Living a cursed life, a half life if you will. Use the gift of the silver tongue, talk your way through to the hearts of those in charge and let them see you, your hardships, whatever it was that made you drop out in the first place.

You set the tone...
Reply 25
The Alchemiste
That will stick with you for a while too, feeling older than you actually are, tired of all the hurdles you had to jump through getting you nowhere.
Heck sometimes you feel as if you've lived a complete life, as if your 40 or 50 when you're anything but.

There's nothing wrong with self pity or any negative emotion, you just have to let it subside and not let it take over you, or let it rub onto others.

Think of it this way, you were obviously good enough to get into medicine. That was the hardest part, you've succeeded where many (me included) failed. That's determination, and you'll have to dip into that very same pot if you are to soldier on.
Everything thrown at you in life just ends up being another brick in the wall, the same wall which you have to overcome later on in life. Depending on how much you had to deal with in the past and present, you'll either continue with no problems happy as a jaybird, or work very hard for something that seems pointless and unachieveable.

Tear down the wall, show the uni you mean to change. Tell them your situation or you'll find my No Quarter message becoming a reality. They are human beings so they should sympathise with your predicament (that is if you tell them wholeheartedly, no lies, no bullcrap, just the honest truth).
If you stay on the course, then don't look back to the way things were. Your raison d`étre is to be content, to become a doctor, to do what you want to do, and say screw the world if it gives you hardship.

If given the opportunity, tear down the wall! If not then I fear the wall will continue to build itself until you can't take it anymore. Doing anything other than your preferred course and growing older by the second will kill you. Living a cursed life, a half life if you will. Use the gift of the silver tongue, talk your way through to the hearts of those in charge and let them see you, your hardships, whatever it was that made you drop out in the first place.

You set the tone...

I would rep you if I had some power! Yes that is true, I shouldn't look back at the past. I've made a list of all my plans/goals, and slowly I'll keep on working on that. Can't let these obstacles get bigger.
Have you decided what to do? I'd advise against going into law and into something more medical related, but that's just what I would do.
Reply 27
any news on your appeal? Am interested as I have a friend n the same boat
How did it all go? What did you decide to do in the end.

I know exactly how you felt as I'm in almost the same position now. I've appealed against the decision but I don't know if it'll do any good so I have to look into other career options.
Reply 29
Anon,
Am in a similar position, involving lawyers. How did yours go. PM me if you can please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending