The Student Room Group

Logistics of retaking first year at university

Hi,
I'm just wondering how it works with people who need to retake their first at university. I know this is an option in the medical school at my uni if you have mitigating circumstances and fail the exams at the end of the year.
But how does it work with the new students coming in to first year? Does the university anticipate that some people will need to resit the year and save some spaces so they're not all filled up by students applying for that year through UCAS?
Reply 1
Hey does anyone know anything about this?
Original post by Prefrontal
Hi,
I'm just wondering how it works with people who need to retake their first at university. I know this is an option in the medical school at my uni if you have mitigating circumstances and fail the exams at the end of the year.
But how does it work with the new students coming in to first year? Does the university anticipate that some people will need to resit the year and save some spaces so they're not all filled up by students applying for that year through UCAS?

Hi @Prefrontal
Every uni will have their own policy on this but I know from friends experience that they were able to retake their first year, some straight away and others took a break - all experiences individual to the person.
If it is something you are concerned about and that you want to be more informed about I would suggest getting in contact with your university - this could be your course lead / academic advisor / students union advice team.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by Prefrontal
Hi,

Universities will take into account historic data on things like people repeating their first year when they plan their admissions targets.
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi @Prefrontal
Every uni will have their own policy on this but I know from friends experience that they were able to retake their first year, some straight away and others took a break - all experiences individual to the person.
If it is something you are concerned about and that you want to be more informed about I would suggest getting in contact with your university - this could be your course lead / academic advisor / students union advice team.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

Thanks this is useful, it always helps to be informed of the options :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by martin7
Universities will take into account historic data on things like people repeating their first year when they plan their admissions targets.

Yeah I assumed it'd be something like that, that's interesting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending