Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge/UCL/Birmingham

I'd like your input. I have been accepted to the following programmes:

1. MPhil Finance (Financial Engineering) - Cambridge
2. MSc Mathematical Finance - Birmingham
3. MSc Economics - UCL

I am currently a Senior Economic Analyst with a bank in Greece with 4yrs experience. I completed my undergraduate business degree with distinction from a South African university. I am looking at moving into quantitative research, or at worst, into a more quantitative Risk/Treasury role. As such, which of the three degrees is better?

I know Cambridge and UCL have far better reputations generally, but the degree at Birmingham is far more quantitative which is what I am looking for. Because I have a business undergrad, none of the other top universities let me apply to their math programmes. I wont be applying elsewhere, these are my choices.

Suggestions?
If the degree at Birmingham is what you're after, then study that one.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
If you like the program at Birmingham way way better than the others then go for that.

If you dont prefer it that much then go for Cambridge. It will always have the 'wow' factor I think.
Reply 3
tigermoth99
If the degree at Birmingham is what you're after, then study that one.

I have been in contact with the course director at Birmingham and have confirmed that, in addition to the MSc subjects, I will be permitted to take additional mathematics modules from their undergraduate courses, to strengthen my quantitative skills.

So personally, this is perfect for me. However, I already work full-time and will be taking a year off to study, which is costly, so I need to balance my personal interests with finding a job at the end. My only concern is that I might not be as employable with a Birmingham MSc?

Not sure how much name really counts? I graduated at the top of my undergraduate and assume, if I am able to do the same on my graduate degree, that should count for something?
I think your employment prospects should still be okay with a Birmingham MSc. It's a good university and if you do well on the MSc, you should still be able to get a few interviews.
Reply 5
tigermoth99
I think your employment prospects should still be okay with a Birmingham MSc. It's a good university and if you do well on the MSc, you should still be able to get a few interviews.

Super, thanks. Think in the end, will go with my suits me personally, which would be Birmingham. Follow your passion/interests is what I say, has served me well thus far.

All the best. Cheers.

Latest

Trending

Trending