The Student Room Group

What historical moment do you wish you could have witnessed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
or the moon landing

Erm...?
KiiNGofLONDON
lol love it "there is all this evidence" *silence*. When you proclaim there is evidence for something, it's usually wise to back up that claim with examples...

Duh, haven't you ever heard of that shining exemplar of historical accuracy, the Bible?
KiiNGofLONDON
lol love it "there is all this evidence" *silence*. When you proclaim there is evidence for something, it's usually wise to back up that claim with examples...

I have better things to do than to deal with the ignorance of athiests.
Reply 83
Don_Scott
I have better things to do than to deal with the ignorance of athiests.

Like preach ignorance instead!
Reply 84
9/11.
Reply 85
Flavity
Indeed...

Spoiler

I stopped after GCSE (after scraping my A), but it's one of my few academic regrets. It's such a fascinating subject, and I don't for the life of me know how I didn't see that when I was making my AS subject choices.

Jay Riall
Duh, haven't you ever heard of that shining exemplar of historical accuracy, the Bible?

Just found some evidence outside the great book:

Reply 86
Flavity
I regret not taking it at GCSE... I always loved studying the Tudors, Egyptians haha, World War etc but the GCSE course didn't stand out at the time... Was immensely gutted when I found out the Tudors were a huge part of the AS level and I couldn't take it coz no GCSE History to build on... But history is amazing, love it. May join some sort of History society at uni... we'll see...

Great idea, I hadn't thought of that.
Reply 87
D-day, and just the Second World War in general
turk1453
or the battle of gallipoli

That would be awful to witness, although you're Turkish so may have different views on it... :sad:
Reply 89
There are quite a few :p:

-
-The battle of Qadesh, first documented one in history and a draw - and then not dare refute Rameses when he carved all of those reliefs showing him winning a resounding triumph :p:
-The battles of Thermopylae and Salamis to see the genius that was Themistocles!
-"Et tu Brute?"
-The moment Caligula told his soldiers to collect seashells from the beach as 'spoils of the sea'
-Hadrian touring Greece; I always have thought Hadrian was pompous and I'd like to see the real him.
-A Roman triumph
-Justinian opening the Hagia Sofia
-The fall of Constantinople in 1453.

My god I'm a nerd.
Reply 90
Flavity
What uni you at?

I'm not, I just graduated college with AAB in Maths, French & Economics. I'm on a planned gap year right now, and will be applying for the first time in the coming months to Durham, Manchester & York for PPE, and to St. Andrews for Economics & Philosophy (yet to choose 5th option). I'm also applying to the US so will be taking SAT's, writing countless essays for US universities, re-taking my Economics A-level modules which I muffed and continuing with a full-time job. :yep:

Where are you in your academic career?
Reply 91
Don_Scott
Martin Luther King is a vastly overrated character who shouldn't be worshipped as he is now. He supported affirmative action policies, for example.

Go away, pest.
Reply 92
Something that couldn't get me killed accidentally. I'll go with the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
Reply 93
The Berlin Wall coming down, my mum says that night was the best party of her life.
Reply 94
Flavity
You sound so academic... your genius is almost intimidating :p:

I really wanted to apply to an American university for Law... but alas decided probably best to stay put.

Finished with A levels and off to City Uni London in about a weeks time :smile:

:p: my close friend (& former schoolmate, but now co-worker) is going to City to read Economics & Accountancy! He got into Boston University but has ended up going to City so if you bump into a tall, handsome Nigerian man reading Economics & Accountancy say hi! :yep:
The moment the first human tribe crossed out of Africa.
Reply 96
My birth (can't be arsed to check 6 pages to see whether it's been said already).
Hmmm, tough question.

If I had to have just one... I would want to witness the bear witness to the Battle of Trafalgar, Lord Nelson's finest hour, and death.
Liquidus Zeromus
Hmmm, tough question.

If I had to have just one... I would want to witness the bear witness to the Battle of Trafalgar, Lord Nelson's finest hour, and death.
Ooh, that's a good one.
Bagration
Ooh, that's a good one.

Then again, I admire Napoleon just as much. Though the battle of Trafalgar just seems an extremely dramatic victory and heroic death at the same time, one which Napoleon did not have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending