The Student Room Group

All I want is money.

Okay TSR, I need some life advice from you.

Last year I lost all interest in everything academic, I realised that my only interest in life is to get disgustingly rich and have a healthy, loving family when I'm 30 or something.

So, here are my results:

Mathematics A
Physics A
Further Mathematics C
Chemistry b

I currently hold an unconditional offer for Engineering, but I have no significant interest in Engineering, the only reason I chose it is that I'm good (pardon the C) at Maths and Physics.

So, would I be better off studying economics or something, and do you think that I could get somewhere decent? Bearing in mind I didn't achieve my predicted AAAa :frown:

My only interests are the middle-east, religion and creative writing, but I don't really want to take a degree in anything artsy - unless employers are going to kiss my arse about it.

Am I limited at all by Engineering, or does it open doors career-wise?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Soas
Reply 2
Do what you'll enjoy doing for the next 40 years. At the top of any profession will make you rich. Doing something for the money is a very quick way to unhappiness.
Reply 3
Cj-Tj
Do what you'll enjoy doing for the next 40 years. At the top of any profession will make you rich. Doing something for the money is a very quick way to unhappiness.

I don't believe this, I think it's stupid. More money => more power => more happiness.

Following up on the OP; is there something I should do during my gap year to make myself more employable when I leave uni? I have a ****** part-time job now, I don't really feel like travelling the world and enjoying myself, I can do that another time, right now I want to learn/earn.
Reply 4
if you think a degree == wealth, you're going to have a great life. Qualifications mean nothing with money and that's becoming even more apparent now.
Reply 5
Cj-Tj

what if you have no interests which can be pursued professionally?
Reply 6
Engineering graduates have very good opportunities to become very wealthy indeed. Eng is a good degree if you think that you merely want money.
Reply 7
Burge
I don't believe this, I think it's stupid. More money => more power => more happiness.

Following up on the OP; is there something I should do during my gap year to make myself more employable when I leave uni? I have a ****** part-time job now, I don't really feel like travelling the world and enjoying myself, I can do that another time, right now I want to learn/earn.

Think what you want, but academic research suggests otherwise. Personal experience also suggests otherwise. Your logic is flawed, money does not equal power, and power does not equal happiness.

To make yourself employable you need work experience and people skills. The majority have work experience, a few have people skills. The minority who get the best jobs are those with both.
Reply 8
You want a healthy loving family but also want to be filthy rich. Please explain to me while you're working all the time to get all this money how you're going to be able to have this perfect family? What are you going to do, buy a family?
Reply 9
Stupid human nature. Too much greed.
Reply 10
TwoDot
You want a healthy loving family but also want to be filthy rich. Please explain to me while you're working all the time to get all this money how you're going to be able to have this perfect family? What are you going to do, buy a family?

I will start making babies when I'm 35.
Burge
I will start making babies when I'm 35.

And presumably once your babies are 'made' you can go back to working insane hours to make the kind of money you want and neglect them like all good workaholics.

Please don't do engineering; I've considered doing that and if you did it there might the unfortunately possibility of actually meeting you.
Unless you're an entrepeneur, either a good education or a life of dogged grift and persistence in demanding promotions are the only real ways to get money.

Civil engineers get paid a fair bit. Consider becoming one. Then again, I'd rather live and work in buildings designed by people who gave a **** about what they built, rather than just doing it for the money, so please don't.
Have the passion and drive it well, the money will follow.
Reply 14
You want to become disgustingly rich? Pal, theres no job in the world which will get you that, it dosent exist. Unless you class getting to the top of the so called best paid profession, a lawyer, and then you could potentially make around 200k a year. Is that disgusting rich, no. I think the only way for immense wealth is being a successful business man/woman or working in the media industry and becoming really popular. True.
Reply 15
In before argument turns to subject and university prestige.
I think you need to re-evaluate your goals. If you have a career in a field that you hate, then the extra money will not make up for it.
Haven't you read The Great Gatsby? :p:
Reply 18
Jormungandr
And presumably once your babies are 'made' you can go back to working insane hours to make the kind of money you want and neglect them like all good workaholics.

No, I'll work my ass off then semi-retire while raising my kids with my wife.

Please don't do engineering; I've considered doing that and if you did it there might the unfortunately possibility of actually meeting you.

With "A2: History (A), Sociology (A), Religious Studies (A)"?

I lol'd.
Jormungandr

sorry but i LOLED... great post hahaha.... i am doing engineering next year... hoping for mechanical :P

Latest

Trending

Trending