The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Burge
No, I'll work my ass off then semi-retire while raising my kids with my wife.

With "A2: History (A), Sociology (A), Religious Studies (A)"?

I lol'd.

What uni are you holding the uncond offer for?
Reply 21
Im in the same position, Im opessed with money. Im also doing engineering. Dont worry, engineering opens lots of doors due to the analytical skills gained (i think). Money is the root to happiness.
Reply 22
damos92
Unless you class getting to the top of the so called best paid profession, a lawyer, and then you could potentially make around 200k a year. Is that disgusting rich, no.

It's a bit off-topic but 200k for a top lawyer is very low; a lot of leading barristers take home around the £3m mark per annum and it's not unknown for equity partners at top firms to take home 7 figure salaries in excess of even that sum. I imagine that this is also true of investment bankers, surgeons and various other professions.

OP, the people who succeed in life generally enjoy what they do and set out to be successful and not necessarily rich. You should find something which you enjoy, work hard at it and you'll be rewarded. But, if you start anything half-heartedly and with a questionable motivation how do you ever expect to succeed?
Reply 23
Lol, good for you OP. I'd say stick with engineering, there's money there. I don't subscribe to the whole "money can't buy happiness" lark, because let's be honest, it can. Good luck with life, buy yourself a beautiful wife and witty company.
Burge
No, I'll work my ass off then semi-retire while raising my kids with my wife.

With "A2: History (A), Sociology (A), Religious Studies (A)"?

I lol'd.

You do realise that many, many people go into high-powered careers with the intention of earning lots, spending little, and leaving early, right? Are you also aware that when you work such long hours, your colleagues usually become your only friends, and they can afford to go to expensive places for lunches and dinners, and you want to go with them because otherwise you'll have no social life at all, and suddenly you're spending a lot more then you anticipated, and can't afford to leave early. For the few who manage to leave early there are plenty who don't.

As for my grades, yep, currently they're not suitable for engineering. I am thinking of either doing science and maths A-levels or going for a science/engineering foundation course. I would have figured if you were intelligent enough to be looking at a high-paying career you would be intelligent enough to guess I probably wasn't going to try and enter with 3 humanities A-levels.
A.R.E
money is everything, people who say otherwise just have no confidence in themselves to earn any.

The people who say otherwise have already found something more important, such as family or a cause they believe in.

Money is the means to an end, nothing more.
Reply 26
Aphotic Cosmos
The people who say otherwise have already found something more important, such as family or a cause they believe in.

and working is a means to an end to get the money for said family or cause.

Spot on there, to be successful you should do something your passionate about and at the same time have time for the things that matter. E.g family
Reply 28
If you think money is going to make you happy then you're going to be seriously disappointed in a five or ten years time.
Reply 29
In the short run, do something you enjoy.
In the long run, work on your attitude towards money. Whilst it has a considerable hold on our lives, it's not the be all and end all. Consider reading Lynn Twist's "The Soul of Money".
Dijobla
Lol, good for you OP. I'd say stick with engineering, there's money there. I don't subscribe to the whole "money can't buy happiness" lark, because let's be honest, it can. Good luck with life, buy yourself a beautiful wife and witty company.

No it can't. I'm not trying to romanticise life, but it just can't.
Reply 31
A.R.E
money is everything, people who say otherwise just have no confidence in themselves to earn any.

Do you think Andrew Wiles would rather have been a successful businessman than proved Fermat's last theorem?

Do you think Barack Obama would rather be a billionaire than the first black (well, mixed) president of the United States?

I think you will find, that those who think money is everything are the ones that are talentless - and that's fine - but please don't make out that those that aren't rich have 'failed'. We all have different goals - for some it's money, for others it's not.
Reply 32
Dijobla

It might buy him a beautiful wife, but it won't buy him a beautiful wife who loves him.
Reply 33
Why don't you do Arabic & Middle Eastern Studies? Arabic is a language that's really wanted nowadays (Y) Good luck making a decision, make sure you do something you are interested in though
Reply 34
Burge
Okay TSR, I need some life advice from you.

Last year I lost all interest in everything academic, I realised that my only interest in life is to get disgustingly rich and have a healthy, loving family when I'm 30 or something.

So, here are my results:

Mathematics A
Physics A
Further Mathematics C
Chemistry b

I currently hold an unconditional offer for Engineering, but I have no significant interest in Engineering, the only reason I chose it is that I'm good (pardon the C) at Maths and Physics.

So, would I be better off studying economics or something, and do you think that I could get somewhere decent? Bearing in mind I didn't achieve my predicted AAAa :frown:

My only interests are the middle-east, religion and creative writing, but I don't really want to take a degree in anything artsy - unless employers are going to kiss my arse about it.

Am I limited at all by Engineering, or does it open doors career-wise?

Seriously, do NOT take engineering if you are not interested in it. You won't enjoy uni. How about Middle Eastern studies or something of that ilk? You'll be able to learn a language (making you very employable) as well as persue your interest in the Middle East and religion, and you can persue creative writing as a hobby while at uni by getting involved in a literary magazine or something. Is there any way you can resit in January and get the C up? AAB or AAA would make it easier for you to get into a 'better' uni if you care about that sort of thing.
Reply 35
Rizzletastic
No it can't. I'm not trying to romanticise life, but it just can't.

I think it can to an extent. If you're a horrible person then no, but I want to get rich and I'll still have my family & friends because I doubt that I'll change that much as a person, so why would people not want to be friends with me just because I had a good job or something? I'm looking forward to treating everyone I care about, it's not like I'm gonna just keep it all to myself. But yeah if you're a horrible person then you'll just end up having to buy people to hang out with you and you'd know they didn't care about you and you presumably wouldn't be happy about that.
Some of you really should read some of the research into the link between money and happiness.

Why do you insist on deluding yourselves?
Reply 37
A.R.E

Dude, have you ever had a job? You see, I have. I've worked my arse off this summer, done 90 hour weeks, 6 weeks without a day off, and in the mean time had bugger all social life, and neglected friends and loved ones. Yes, the money is fantastic, £700 a week or so, but only once you've worked for money and nothing more do you appreciate there is so much more to life than cash in your hand. That was a job I honestly love doing, and something I can sit back at the end of the day and smile to myself. If you had to do that doing a job you hated you wouldnt survive 5 minuets. Even if you did stick it out for the money you would be one miserable person. Then once you have earnt enough to retire you find yourself with no friends, no loved ones, and nothing to do. All the material possessions in the world are worth jack **** without someone to share in things with you. Ive spent my cash on a new motorbike, something Ive wanted for a while. Riding it is fun, for sure, but I would much much rather have my gf back than my new motorbike..........

Dijobla

Buy yourself a beautiful wife? What, one from Russia who once shes married and got a British passport will empty your millions and go back to her homeland? Please, if thats all you aspire to in life you need to see beyond the gate. Your just asking for gold-diggers with that attitude.

09Enzo
Im in the same position, Im opessed with money. Im also doing engineering. Dont worry, engineering opens lots of doors due to the analytical skills gained (i think). Money is the root to happiness.

You lot have got some growing up to do, methinks.

Money WILL NOT buy you happiness, it never has and never will. It'll make life easier, for sure. But what do you do with £10m? You cant spend it on anything useful, so you'll waste it on material possessions, which in the end will become worthless.
Reply 38
Crime = a quick route to cash. Try and get a job with Goldman Sachs.
Reply 39
lol at thread

Latest

Trending

Trending