The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Burge
Okay TSR, I need some life advice from you.

Last year I lost all interest in everything academic, I realised that my only interest in life is to get disgustingly rich and have a healthy, loving family when I'm 30 or something.

So, here are my results:

Mathematics A
Physics A
Further Mathematics C
Chemistry b

I currently hold an unconditional offer for Engineering, but I have no significant interest in Engineering, the only reason I chose it is that I'm good (pardon the C) at Maths and Physics.

So, would I be better off studying economics or something, and do you think that I could get somewhere decent? Bearing in mind I didn't achieve my predicted AAAa :frown:

My only interests are the middle-east, religion and creative writing, but I don't really want to take a degree in anything artsy - unless employers are going to kiss my arse about it.

Am I limited at all by Engineering, or does it open doors career-wise?

HA HA - love the question 'get disgustingly rich' LOL!!

Okay, so do a joint honours in middle eastern studies and politics or mid east studies and theology. Lots of unis offer them and they'd rush to have you.
Reply 41
Pink Bullets
Some of you really should read some of the research into the link between money and happiness.

Why do you insist on deluding yourselves?

Okay, where is this research then?
Everyone is different, I know that people can be happy with or without money.
Reply 42
Pink Bullets
Some of you really should read some of the research into the link between money and happiness.

Why do you insist on deluding yourselves?

Grow up. Some people just desire money and family - fine. Others desire to be great novelists, world leaders, scientists, inventors. If all I achieve in life is to become rich I will kill myself. Seriously. I could not be happy unless I'd achieved something, and to my mind becoming rich is not an achievement. If you think it is then fine but don't talk down to people who aspire to more.
Sell cocaine.
Reply 44
Nothing wrong with that. Some people want to do research others want money to build a theme-park, go travelling, build a wildlife sanctuary, or have enough money to not worry about it and enjoy family-life. I think it's incredibly sanctimonious for people to say otherwise.
Reply 45
Burge

I currently hold an unconditional offer for Engineering, but I have no significant interest in Engineering, the only reason I chose it is that I'm good (pardon the C) at Maths and Physics. Am I limited at all by Engineering, or does it open doors career-wise?

do that. I can't remember the stats but in America (especially since the big federal stimulus) decent engineering grads are in high demand. Go there, work for 5-10 years earn decent money and learn something about business on the side. While you're doing that, find some very good engineers that don't know anything about business and open your own partnership/firm/whatever with you in charge of them. You'll be rolling in cash by 40.
I don't understand why the people on this thread think that being 'disgustingly rich' = being lonely and soulless. In order to earn such a high salary, you NEED ambition. It doesn't just happen to you, you need to work for it. You can be that rich and be happy. It won't stop you from meeting friends and partners that you love, it won't stop you from having children, it will enable you to live in the house of your dreams and travel or do whatever it is that you want.

The OP never said, my life will all be about money. I want to roll in it every day by my self in my mansion which boasts a staff of 55, until the day I die a rich old man and am buried in my coffin of gold. He said he wants to be rich and have a loving family, which are two respectable ambitions in life.

A lot of people need to realise that ambition is not a bad thing. Ultimately, for a lot of people, a degree is a means to an end - I have spoken to many people who wouldn't have done a degree if they didn't need it to get a job. 3/4 years doing a degree to get into a good graduate job is not awful. Obviously it would help if you loved your course, but if you are willing to put in the work for a subject you're indifferent about, you should go for it, it it will help you achieve your goals.

Engineering will be harder and more work than, say, an English degree (you like creative writing OP), but it certainly will give you more job opportunities. Engineering is highly sought after by employers - especially in the city.

Good luck, OP.
Cj-Tj
Dude, have you ever had a job? You see, I have. I've worked my arse off this summer, done 90 hour weeks, 6 weeks without a day off, and in the mean time had bugger all social life, and neglected friends and loved ones. Yes, the money is fantastic, £700 a week or so, but only once you've worked for money and nothing more do you appreciate there is so much more to life than cash in your hand. That was a job I honestly love doing, and something I can sit back at the end of the day and smile to myself. If you had to do that doing a job you hated you wouldnt survive 5 minuets. Even if you did stick it out for the money you would be one miserable person. Then once you have earnt enough to retire you find yourself with no friends, no loved ones, and nothing to do. All the material possessions in the world are worth jack **** without someone to share in things with you. Ive spent my cash on a new motorbike, something Ive wanted for a while. Riding it is fun, for sure, but I would much much rather have my gf back than my new motorbike..........

Buy yourself a beautiful wife? What, one from Russia who once shes married and got a British passport will empty your millions and go back to her homeland? Please, if thats all you aspire to in life you need to see beyond the gate. Your just asking for gold-diggers with that attitude.

You lot have got some growing up to do, methinks.

Money WILL NOT buy you happiness, it never has and never will. It'll make life easier, for sure. But what do you do with £10m? You cant spend it on anything useful, so you'll waste it on material possessions, which in the end will become worthless.

that's a good point,man! life is what we make of it,and the same thing happens to money.
a man do mature much in real life experience.
i must say there shouldn't be any wrong with the ambition to earn disgustingly much money in life,though our normal values may somewhat go against it.money can never be an evil unless the man who master it makes the abnormal use of it.apparently,no one want to live an embarrassed life so in some degree money is indeed the way to happiness.
hence the necessary thing we should do during the pursuit of money is to be a good master of money and never make yourself be slaved by it.
so creative i must say!and it do transport you abundent of money if you have fortunately escaped narrowly.
WhiteBoneDemon
so creative i must say!and it do transport you abundent of money if you have fortunately escaped narrowly.

wut?
Reply 51
Wanting to do something to earn loads of money is definitely not the way to go about it - it just sets you up for failure. Richard Branson, for an example, said when he was setting up some store or something he wasn't thinking "Oh, I'm going to open this shop, and I'll try and make as much profit as possible, then I'll open more", he was thinking "I'm going to make this a really great shop" and then the customers came.

Do something you like and do it well, be a bit entrepreneurial or whatever, and you should do pretty well.

From personal experience, I can say a) that if you do something you hate, making lots of money from it does not make it any more fun. & b) Money and material possessions really do not make you any happier - you buy one thing then immediately think of the next thing you'll get. Money makes you more comfortable in misery, but of itself it won't make you happy. You need a fulfilling life, and love, great friendships to be happy, and likewise if you have all those things then money doesn't matter.

You should just see some of the Secret Millionaire, where some of the millionaires moan about how lonely & unfulfilling their lives are - they are the same as any other person.

I think if you chase money then where does it stop? There are always ways of acquiring money so are you ever going to have enough? You can only have one wife, or so many kids, but money is infinite - it'll be like a donkey chasing a carrot, you'd keep going forever and never be satisfied. Of course, everyone wants enough money to be comfortable, but if to 'be really rich' is your one life goal, you are never going to be happy.

I know it's a Bible quote (1 Tim 6:10), but the phrase "The love of money is the root of all evil" is still very apt IMO.
Reply 52
OP, you're a shallow idiot, and I and i think everyone else now hates you

The saying 'the love of money is the root of all evil' is popular for a reason, and the only consolation I have is that with an attitude like yours, you will get filthy rich, realise it will be for nothing, never get loved, and die old, lonely and uselessly rich
Reply 53
cleashy

The saying 'the love of money is the root of all evil' is popular for a reason, and the only consolation I have is that with an attitude like yours, you will get filthy rich, realise it will be for nothing, never get loved, and die old, lonely and uselessly rich

I just want a happy family and my kids to have happy families. Money is the source of that dream. So f*ck you, you self-righteous sh*t-stain.
Reply 54
Burge
I just want a happy family and my kids to have happy families. Money is the source of that dream. So f*ck you, you self-righteous sh*t-stain.

Surely love and health are the sources of that dream? Your confusing wealth and happiness.
"no interest in academics" ... I'm not that academically inclined but seriously, DO NOT do engineering if you have no interest in it at all. You will fail. Although your long term focus may be to earn lots of money, you need to make your short term focuse nailing your degree and getting a thorough understanding of it ... and that should indirectly help your long term goal.

But for real, if you focuse too much on money you are setting yourself up for failure.
Reply 56
Yeah guys, way to go for misinterpreting the OP.

Money may not buy all happiness but it certainly is one of the more important parts of life. History tells you that much.
cleashy

No, you're the idiot. He can aim for what ever he wants in life.

Being rich =/= 'never get loved... and die lonely'
maxfire
Okay, where is this research then?
Everyone is different, I know that people can be happy with or without money.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=money+and+happiness

If you couldn't have done that for yourself, how the hell do you expect to become rich? :s-smilie:
Reply 59
Pink Bullets
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=money+and+happiness

If you couldn't have done that for yourself, how the hell do you expect to become rich? :s-smilie:

Being bothered to look on websites for biased articles =/= being rich.

Latest

Trending

Trending