The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I agree this is silly and I hope it's sorted soon.
Just noticed that yesterday and was slightly confused by it -_-; Definitely irritating and only adds to this confusion that they speak of.

Here's an amateur map made in response that I think is much better. Why does TfL fail to make something like this?

unikq
As a proud londoner, i am disgusted to see our beloved trademark tube maps altered for the benefit of a small few.

the issue itself isn't really a big deal (well, for me, it kinda is), but it's the politics behind it, that get me really wound up.

i was reading the londonpaper on wednesday on the way home on the tube, and my eyes came across an article stating that the signiture tube maps will be changed, having taken out the river and the zone lines, because some people found it "confusing".

next day, i get into a tube station, and already, i start to see some tube maps changed...

i find this irritating because, a) the tube map was one of the trademarks of london which all proud londoners were proud of, b) i need to ****ING know where the zones are for my ****ING fares, but c) the PC liberal madness in city hall.

i don't know WHO THE **** thought that the tube maps were confusing? anyone who couldn't read one shouldn't be allowed to travel alone anyway, but, surely, there weren't many people who brought this up?
london, and indeed, the uk, has become a place in which the voice of the minority outspeaks the voice of the majority. democracy has become a joke. disgusting.

fight children

was that just a bit of general advice for people who might feel disgruntled at the end there?

fight with children. because you'll almost definately win and its a great way to vent some steam.
Reply 23
halfoflessthan50p
was that just a bit of general advice for people who might feel disgruntled at the end there?

fight with children. because you'll almost definitely win and its a great way to vent some steam.

lol, yes. i just thought that this would be a highly opinionated thread with views from both sides, apparantly not...
my faith in common sense within the tsr population has been slightly restored
Reply 24
Moroseblight
Just noticed that yesterday and was slightly confused by it -_-; Definitely irritating and only adds to this confusion that they speak of.

Here's an amateur map made in response that I think is much better. Why does TfL fail to make something like this?

Except that wasn't made in response, that was made in 2008. The TfL map works perfectly well, with this minor hiccup of the zonal and Thames removal (which is coming back with the next scheduled reprint in December '09).
Reply 25
I like the tube map. I had one on my wall in halls at university... just a small one, of course. I've not seen the new maps, so I can't really comment on effectiveness.

RK
Er, nothing to do with the Government. The changes were brought up by Transport for London, which is under control of the Mayor of London. So for Boris to show he's outraged by the changes shows he either has no control of TFL or that they ignore how he directs them...

Boris is chairman of the TfL Board. Its operational head is its Commissioner. Whilst the Mayor may have the power to instruct, he does not deal with matters of internal administrivia, nor is he the primary official with oversight in these matters.
Reply 26
nikki1810
Um well the map confuses me :frown:
But I'm used to this http://glasgowtransport.co.uk/Glasgow-Subway-Map.jpg

:rofl: Hahahahaha!
fait
I don't think I've ever heard ANYONE complain about the tube map being hard to read. I mean, they'd take the piss about how the circle line isn't a circle and the uselessness of some some lines/station, but never complain about it being hard to read. o_____O

If you think that's strange, wait for December when the Circle line won't actually run a complete circuit anymore. It will just be a line which curls in upon itself. I think it will still be called the Circle line though.
Reply 28
Moroseblight

What's different? :s-smilie:

They'd better put my bloody precious map back to normal! :rant: I too had one on my wall. Need to get a new one! :frown:
fait
I don't think I've ever heard ANYONE complain about the tube map being hard to read. I mean, they'd take the piss about how the circle line isn't a circle and the uselessness of some some lines/station, but never complain about it being hard to read. o_____O

No, it'll be a tea-cup soon!
I love the tube map. Actually, I love everything about the London Underground. It's the best mode of transport ever. I'm not particularly bothered about the zone lines though - the poster on my wall doesn't have them on and it looks better. Which is all I need it to do, as I don't live in London.
nikki1810
Um well the map confuses me :frown:

Seoul:

Tokyo:

...and the Tube map is confusing?! :P
L i b
Boris is chairman of the TfL Board. Its operational head is its Commissioner. Whilst the Mayor may have the power to instruct, he does not deal with matters of internal administrivia, nor is he the primary official with oversight in these matters.

But if someone was going to say any one person was the top of the chain, you'd say him, rather than anyone in the Government. And I did make that comment in response to someone saying this was the fault of the Government :wink:
How is it even possible for anyone to not be able to read the Tube map? I mean, really?

Latest

Trending

Trending